The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
don't drop out before the end of first year, maths is by far the easiest subject i took at a-level
Reply 21
kapital
don't drop out before the end of first year, maths is by far the easiest subject i took at a-level

oh, well that's reassuring :frown:
Reply 22
I think breaking in is the hardest to do. I found the first year difficult, but with a lot of practise my second year was much better. It helps if you love maths.
Reply 23
bubba.ok
do you enjoy maths as in the subject or is it just because you don't understand it atm? if you do enjoy the subject stick with it and do extra revisions at home, try every revision website even youtube has some instruction vids i use when i don't understand.
ask your teacher for some more help too, that's what they are there for.
also if you know what you want to do at uni, does it require maths? if not and you neither enjoy maths or english, it seems you should go for english if you can achieve an A.

This post has some good ideas - which will work if you love the subject and are prepared to put in a lot of extra work. I was in pretty much the same position as you (though I did understand C1 [vaguely] I got really, really stuck in C2). My friend and I had private tutors, tried websites, extra school lessons etc etc. but nothing really improved...probably because we both had grown to hate Maths by this time!

*Biased as is doing History at uni in 2009*
Drop it, drop it, drop it, drop it, drop it, drop it, drop it, drop it, drop it, drop it, drop it, drop it, drop it, drop it! (Quickly, so you don't miss too many of the first lessons of a different [better] subject). Do it for your own sanity.
Who decides what is a respected subject? To say business studies is not a respected subject is an unfounded irresponsible immature comment. I for one did business studies along with psychology, maths, and critical thinking and it pisses me off when someone who thinks they're some academic god puts down a course I do/did (As a Psychology undergraduate, I deal with it all the time - When in fact its a lot tougher than many of my uni friends' subjects).

AS for maths i went all the way and got an A at AS but this dropped to a B at A2 which i was still mega happy with. But my point is the difficulty curve is huge. From GCSe - AS is a massive jump (especially C2). But then from AS - A2 is another massive jump in difficulty (i found). 2 weeks is a really short amount of time to judge a subject on but if you are struggling that much I would suggest changing - Or really starting to put a hugeeee amount of work into maths, becomes its all building blocks - If you dont understand one topic, the next topic is gonna be building on that one and thus make it incredibly hard for you.
Reply 25
Ramble
I think breaking in is the hardest to do. I found the first year difficult, but with a lot of practise my second year was much better. It helps if you love maths.

Nooo! Maths is evil. My biggest regret is doing a whole year of it, I should have dropped it after a couple of weeks!

I originally wanted to do Law like the OP - I thought Maths would be good for this (showing ability to use logic, add variety to my subjects etc)...but if you're going to get below a B in Maths it's not worth carrying on because Law, like History, is competitive and top unis will ask for 3 or 4 As (or A*s or whatever...).
Reply 26
Don't drop it. I'm not really an expert on maths, but I still did okay in my exams.
JamesAkaJames
Who decides what is a respected subject? To say business studies is not a respected subject is an unfounded irresponsible immature comment. I for one did business studies along with psychology, maths, and critical thinking and it pisses me off when someone who thinks they're some academic god puts down a course I do/did (As a Psychology undergraduate, I deal with it all the time - When in fact its a lot tougher than many of my uni friends' subjects).

AS for maths i went all the way and got an A at AS but this dropped to a B at A2 which i was still mega happy with. But my point is the difficulty curve is huge. From GCSe - AS is a massive jump (especially C2). But then from AS - A2 is another massive jump in difficulty (i found). 2 weeks is a really short amount of time to judge a subject on but if you are struggling that much I would suggest changing - Or really starting to put a hugeeee amount of work into maths, becomes its all building blocks - If you dont understand one topic, the next topic is gonna be building on that one and thus make it incredibly hard for you.

Uuuh unis and employers :rolleyes: Like it or not business is at the bottom of the pile.
Dont drop it, just work hard.

AS chemistry was ****** hard when we started it in year 12, now that stuff is easyyy
its all about practice. Work, work, work if you find it hard and the results will show.

the main reason you shouldnt drop maths is because it is soooo ****** useful for alot of university courses. I may be applying to do chemistry at university for example, but, without maths, my choices are EXTREMELY limited. Dont drop it if you plan on doing anything sciency (unless is biological, in which ase its still useful, but not essentual), or anything along the lines of management, politics, economics.. actually, anything that doesnt involve talking a diffirent langauge or about poems and/or art
Reply 29
JamesAkaJames

well I'm sorry, but I know that it is considered a "soft subject". I love it and I really miss it now that I no longer study it, but I know and accept that it is not considered to be as good an a level as, say, maths.
Reply 30
JamesAkaJames

You have the Oxbridge toffs who 'blacklist' the subjects they don't respect to thank for that.
JamesAkaJames
Who decides what is a respected subject? To say business studies is not a respected subject is an unfounded irresponsible immature comment.

I refer you to http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/%22Respected%22_A_Levels

toothbrushes, I suggest that you keep at it. Yes it's a jump from GCSE and yes there'll be another jump at A2. My first few weeks of doing C3 gave me headaches, quite literally! I just didn't get it. In the end, it was my highest scoring module (90%+). My point is that a few weeks is not enough to judge a subject, especially one that has new concepts.

Don't be put off by a few initial hiccups. The beauty of this A Level is that you can substantially improve your mark by just doing practice papers over and over. This is because you (a) minimise mistakes, (b) spot useful results, patterns, etc. that will reduce overall time taken to answer the question as well as well as hinting that you're on the right track, (c) get used to the style, format and limitations of questions.

All the best.
Laura26
You have the Oxbridge toffs who 'blacklist' the subjects they don't respect to thank for that.

.... Oxbridge were the first to kick off about it because they have higher standards generaly. No one is to blame though... it just doesnt prepare you for traditional university life as well as other subjects do. Go read about it if you're bothered.
Reply 33
Sports Racer
Refer to http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/%22Respected%22_A_Levels

toothbrushes, I suggest that you keep at it. Yes it's a jump from GCSE and yes there'll be another jump at A2. My first few weeks of doing C3 gave me headaches, quite literally! I just don't get it. In the end, it was my highest scoring module (90%+). My point is that a few weeks is not enough to judge a subject, especially one that has new concepts.

Don't be put off by a few initial hiccups. The beauty of this A Level is that you can substantially improve your mark by just doing practice papers over and over. This is because you (a) minimise mistakes, (b) spot useful results, patterns, etc. that will reduce overall time taken to answer the question as well as well as hinting that you're on the right track, (c) get used to the style, format and limitations of questions.

All the best.

Thanks so much! If I end up keeping it on, I might try some past papers in a few weeks (although they're new courses so there won't be many hmmmmm)
Reply 34
I struggled with C1 right up until Christmas, then I revised loads and got a B. Same with C2 and I got an A in the end. Don't drop it just because it's not working at the moment - exams are FOUR MONTHS away. You have four months to understand it and practise it. You're not MEANT to be able to do every exam question at this stage, but you will do fine if you work at it.
:smile:
If I were you I'd give it a little longer, at least. Especially if you've previously enjoyed the subject.
I am biased... Look at my results in the signature to find out why!

I say keep it on. :smile:
Reply 36
Two weeks to do C1? That's definately way too rushed. Just study through the C1/C2 chapters at a much slower pace and practise loads of exam questions for each one then go through loads of exam papers. I got a comfortable A in my AS maths at over 90% UMS pretty much by doing that :p:
Reply 37
If your anything like me (someone with an average brain for mathematics), then you can achieve A's in maths, however you'll probably find that you won't get it or see decent results until fairly close until the deadline, dependant on how much work you do, and that despite the cores getting progressively harder they'll all feel unbelievably difficult.

My advice would be to stick with it, at least until the end of C1, but prepare to have it eat your life up if you start to fall behind. On the plus side, universities lap it up, I'm pretty sure my offer for English Lit was swung by my decent maths A-level.

Latest