The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Emily246
on a similar note...i was also rejected from ucl yesterday, applied for esps, predicted AAA, got 4As at AS, 8A* and 3 As at GCSE, thought my personal statement and reference were both pretty good(!)....what went wrong!?
applying to cambridge durham bristol and lse so was relying on ucl but clearly no longer..gutted!

Sorry to hear that. No course is a certain offer. But applying for a variant course at a high status uni like UCL, is certainly not a low risk backup.

As I said above, hopefully you will do better at the PPE(?) courses that your PS is designed around.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 41
rosa.s.
Yeah, i've applied for feedback (don't know about jcevans2). The thing is i've seen my reference, and infact my whole application, so i'm sure predicted grades are right etc. and i was very happy with all of it....i think/HOPE(!) Paulwhy is right and it is just because my personal statement is not written for ESPS, though i did mention eastern europe when i talked about some reading on immigration (but that was literally all i did for ESPS...and i did reference specifically how well i think philos and eco go with pol;the whole thing reads totally as a PPE statement)...hopefully i'll find out why soon, though i've no idea how long it takes.

My friend applied for Modern Languages everywhere and ESPS at UCL. Her PS was geard towards languages, whereas yours was towards the PPE side. Maybe that's it. It's primarily a language course, with some politics, not the other way round.
Reply 42
Sounds like they're looking for something other than grades if they're rejecting all these people with good solid As and A*s. Perhaps it's something to do with the Personal Statements - they must be looking for something specific. Just call them up and they'll give you feedback; it's what I did last year with one of my Unis and they were happy to let me know.
you might be right, but i just figured it was reasonable to infer from the fact it's called ''Politics and East European Studies" no reference to language i'd be ok with politics focus. UCL also state you are strongly encouraged to learn a language, rather than have to - i wasn't applying for the one with a year abroad.
Reply 44
rosa.s.
you might be right, but i just figured it was reasonable to infer from the fact it's called ''Politics and East European Studies" no reference to language i'd be ok with politics focus. UCL also state you are strongly encouraged to learn a language, rather than have to - i wasn't applying for the one with a year abroad.

I think that may be where you went wrong, a couple of my flatmates do that course and it has quite a large language element and they are both very good at languages.
Reply 45
rosa.s.

Oh ok

:dunno:
Reply 46
rosa.s.
I sent on the 6th of october, and heard today

Monday? I thought UCL only made decisions on Friday?
well maybe they don't let you know til monday. i heard at somepoint yesterday afternoon.
Reply 48
rosa.s.
well maybe they don't let you know til monday. i heard at somepoint yesterday afternoon.

No, no. I mean I thought they sent out decisions on Friday through UCAS. Obviously isn't the case now..
Reply 49
UCL won't accept applicants from certain countries unless they have had a year in another uni. It's the situation for Bulgaria - that is why I didn't apply there. If you are from the UK it is strange, though.
Reply 50
Maybe your reference said you were arrogant :rolleyes:
Reply 51
tucker672
Maybe your reference said you were arrogant :rolleyes:

good one
Reply 52
"You should mark clearly on your UCAS application which modern European language you wish to study as your major language or both if you are taking two major languages."

Did you do this Rosa ? If you didn't it is no surprise you got rejected.
that's only for the four year degree, i applied for three year. i think the code was LR27.
Reply 54
Ah, cool, can't even find that one on the website.
Reply 55
Ah found it, and yeah it doesn't look like the language bit was the problem.
yes, the website is really confusingly organised for ESPS, it took me sometime to work out what applied to which degree
If you got rejected, how the hell am I going to get into UCL English! :eek:

And is the PS really that important? I mean, of course it's a significant part of your UCAS, but I heard that quite a lot of admissions tutors just skim read them, and what really matters is your grades (predicted and the ones you already have).
Reply 58
gladebayor

And is the PS really that important? I mean, of course it's a significant part of your UCAS, but I heard that quite a lot of admissions tutors just skim read them, and what really matters is your grades (predicted and the ones you already have).

I would say yes. You are one of probably hundreds of applicants with identical grades, PS and potentially an interview are the only ways to decide between people.
Reply 59
gladebayor

Modesty :rolleyes:

Latest

Trending

Trending