The Student Room Group
Lord Ashcroft Building, Anglia Ruskin University
Anglia Ruskin University
Chelmsford
Visit website

Clearing is the best thing that happened to me – ask me anything

Nick & Amir here, from ARU Cambridge. We applied to ARU in Clearing and we've never looked back. We've had some amazing experiences that have built up our confidence, experience and skills and we have Clearing to thank for that.
Have you got any concerns about Clearing? Or questions about how we found it? Let us know in the thread below!
@TSR Talks ARU how long does the clearing process usually take?
Lord Ashcroft Building, Anglia Ruskin University
Anglia Ruskin University
Chelmsford
Visit website
If you're awaiting any results you may have to wait until you get those afterwards it would be only maybe a week or two depending on what course you want to take up. In my case when i applied for Business Entrepreneurship it took about 8-ish days to get everything done.
Original post by TSR Talks ARU
Nick & Amir here, from ARU Cambridge. We applied to ARU in Clearing and we've never looked back. We've had some amazing experiences that have built up our confidence, experience and skills and we have Clearing to thank for that.
Have you got any concerns about Clearing? Or questions about how we found it? Let us know in the thread below!

Hi guys, just wanted to hear a little about your experience in clearing? I'm not sure how it works and what it actually means. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
Hi @timroberts1994
Basically if you don’t have an offer from a university or just left it late you can apply through clearing during this and in the upcoming few months.Unis do this to fill up remaining spots in a course. Personally, the experience was decent, everything went as you expect it would. i ended up having to switch unis last moment and clearing allowed me to do so.
What does clearing mean? How do you make the right choice when so many uni's are looking?
Reply 6
Original post by TSR Talks ARU

Hi both! Can you share some of your experiences that Clearing opened the door to? Where have your studies led you?
Original post by Anonymous
What does clearing mean? How do you make the right choice when so many uni's are looking?

Hello, clearing is basically getting a chance to apply for uni if you’re late or didn’t really get a chance during the standard application dates. Secondly, choosing the right uni is solely on yourself, you could have a checklist of what you want your uni to have and theres a lot elements universities offer that you don’t realise so you might want to look into all of that. Ultimately its about where you feel comfortable and feel like is the best place to study your course. Hope this helps!
Original post by Addyjoe
Hi both! Can you share some of your experiences that Clearing opened the door to? Where have your studies led you?

One of experiences is I had to move half way across the world for uni and as you could figure out it was a big step. I left my admission late because I wasn’t sure about moving and it was covid as well. Clearing allowed me to make my decision late so I was fully aware of what i wanted and I’m really glad for it, uni has been great so far.

Another experience we could share is the A level results. I wasn’t sure what grades i would get because it was the covid year so i didn’t apply till I had the result with me. Once everything went well i did apply and ended up coming to ARU where i’m really happy. If it wasn’t for clearing i would probably have ended up missing deadlines and ended up with no uni till next January or even September.
:party::party::party:

Amir & Nick are only here for the rest of this week before we have to say goodbye and thank them for their fantastic help! They can go and relax and enjoy their summer holidays afterwards :groovy: Nick and Amir are both part of the Business School so this could be a fab opportunity to ask your questions about ARU business courses too!

Please do send them your questions before it's too late but remember we (ARU staff and @ARUStudents) are always here if you need us.

And don't forget (I know, how could you?) - Next week's the big week, so please remember to keep calm, contact us if you need us on 01245 962 919 and celebrate because you have worked so hard for this!

:party::party::party:
(edited 1 year ago)
How did you both end up in Clearing? I'm getting worried I won't get the grades but hoping my insurance choice will take me, but would be good to hear what happened to others i guess so it's not such a big deal if I end up there. Cheers
Hi, what is happening with accommodation if you applied to ARU through clearing? Is there student accommodation/halls of residence still or will we have to find somewhere ourselves? Also what are the prices? Thank you :smile:
Original post by LucieD123454321
Hi, what is happening with accommodation if you applied to ARU through clearing? Is there student accommodation/halls of residence still or will we have to find somewhere ourselves? Also what are the prices? Thank you :smile:

Hello, you can of course attempt to find accommodation through the university. The university does offer various locations for students to stay. It will depend on availability though but it can definitely be done.
Original post by LucieD123454321

Hi @LucieD123454321
It would depend on the campus and what is available at this stage in the year.
We have a Residential Team who can advise you on what's available and if in the situation there wasn't any student accommodation, they're on hand to help you secure a room via other routes in the cities they are based in.

Here are the contacts, please don't be shy - we are always happy to help
[email protected] for Cambridge, [email protected] for Chelmsford and if you're for ARU Peterborough contact [email protected]

As for prices, they vary hugely - you can investigate most of the options on our website but essentially we will work with you to find something within your budget. :smile:

I hope that helps.

Best wishes
Megan
What would you say to someone who is looking at a really competitive course, that hasn't been advertised in clearing?
Original post by Anonymous
How did you both end up in Clearing? I'm getting worried I won't get the grades but hoping my insurance choice will take me, but would be good to hear what happened to others i guess so it's not such a big deal if I end up there. Cheers

Hi,

That is always something students go through and something we had gone through personally as well. I applied during covid when predicted grades were the new thing, we had lockdowns after every other month. Everything was uncertain. I was sure i wanted to go to university but choosing the right location where i would be comfortable settling in and doing my course was a little challenging. I am positive I made the right choice and I've enjoyed my time here.

As for Nick, he left it late because he wasn't sure about going to university. As the time came closer and most people around went to different cities he started to consider it. Job prospects of going straight into work were not the greatest as well. Nick has now graduated and has a great graduate job in events.

Clearing is actually very empowering, full of choices and opportunities.
Original post by 04MR17
What would you say to someone who is looking at a really competitive course, that hasn't been advertised in clearing?

Hi @04MR17
This comes up a lot, especially with something like medicine - which is a really tough, competitive course and rarely ends up Clearing for any universities, including ARU.

My advice would be to talk to both your a-level provider college/school and the university admissions teams at a few unis you are interested in. Ask them about what your options are.

Is retaking exams and a gap year a possibility?

Is doing one year on another course that is available (e.g. Biomedical Science) and then seeking a transfer route like we do at ARU could be an opportunity (but please note this is also highly competitive)?

Is there a graduate entry pathway? (not offered at ARU)

Is there another route into your goal career a possibility without that specific degree or another degree that gives you similar expertise and helps you with your goals e.g. optometry or operating department practice?

Take a look at your local universities - ARU have a widening access to medicine scheme and a local scheme - all of this is in our entry requirements section on the website. This might open up more doors for you, too.

This is a really tough question and one of the hardest ones we get this time of year.

Ultimately, if something like Medicine does go into Clearing you'll need to be fast and on the ball. You could be proactive and try calling universities on Results Day with your results and asking the question but generally speaking if their website says it isn't available, it is not available - but it doesn't hurt to ask?

But don't give up, that's the most important thing. There are other options (as pointed out above) and you will end up in the right place for you even if in that moment it doesn't feel like it.

To everyone getting their results on Thursday we are rooting for you.

Best wishes
Team ARU
Hey guys, just wanted to know how your experience was in clearing? I'm struggling to keep on top of everything. Any advice would be great. Thanks!
Original post by timroberts1994
Hey guys, just wanted to know how your experience was in clearing? I'm struggling to keep on top of everything. Any advice would be great. Thanks!

Hi @timroberts1994
Are you applying through clearing currently or are you studying at the moment and possibly considering the chances of entering Clearing for Sep 2023?

Our tips if you're feeling a little stressed is:

speak to people and talk about how you're feeling - don't bottle it up

do research in advance, you don't have to wait for results day to see what's out there and get to know a few other universities

universities are so supportive during clearing because we know exactly what is going on for students and we just want to make things simple and reduce your stress - so if you do end up in clearing, it's not a bad thing at all and you will end up at the right place for you

keep your mind open and explore your options. Don't panic and go for the first thing you find, because clearing is pretty empowering and will give you the chance to consider such a huge range of options. There are still courses that can be very competitive (medicine, etc) though, so worth bearing that in mind. You can check out which unis still have accommodation and make sure they tell you everything about what they're offering you so you can pick the best place for you and enjoy the process.

If you are going through difficulties with a live clearing application at the moment - don't stress, reach out to the uni in question via TSR or via the uni's live chat functions or telephone and just talk to them - they will resolve your issues for you and make sure you're not left feeling stressed.

I'm sure some of the students will be along soon to explain it but we've seen several forums on TSR this year about why Clearing ended up being the best thing that happened for some students, it really isn't the end of the world.

Good luck with everything :smile:

Best wishes
Megan

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending