The Student Room Group

Never took year 10 seriously, is there still a chance?

15/M
I never took year 10 as seriously as I should, it was just a bad year for me in general, due to my mental health in the Easter break never write anything on my mocks, did barely anything in lessons. So my question is, will this affect my GCSE's, do I still have a chance to fix up in year 11? My predicted grades are looking to be U's since I never wrote anything for my year 10 mocks... I'm in lower sets for English, Maths and Science so their's absolutely 0 chance I'm going to do Higher at this point, which I can settle with. I'm looking to get 5's in my English and Maths and Science, so I'm just wondering if that's still possible. I've also picked History and Geography and IT for my options, I'm wondering if I can still get a 4 or 5 for both of those subjects like Geography, If I can get a 5 on that I'll be pleased, History, can't lie I probably will get a 4 or either fail, because we never repeat what we've learned in year 10, so I don't really have revision sources for that, if you know of any let me know. IT , I;m good at computers so it shouldn't be a problem, just really lazy to be completing the homework , but if I can get a 7 or 6 on IT that's calm and that's what I'm aiming for.
My mum put me in for after school clubs which I'll probably be doing some work over the summer for those three subjects. I do believe I can still fix up but I'm interested to hear from you guys.
Did you write nothing because you didn't know the answers or because of other reasons? If you know some of the content and are willing to put the work in you can 100% still get decent grades. A girl in one of my science classes went from a U to a 7 because she started to actually put the work in

Wishing you the best of luck! :smile:
In year 10 I never picked up a revision guide, completed my homework last minute in the library during break and hardly went to school. I was averaging around 4s in all my subjects except 2 and was about to be moved down sets for maths. In year 11 Around November I picked myself up and managed to get all 7-9s. Even if you fail year 10 it doesn’t really matter. At the end of August try revising a bit (like 2 hour a day) for subject you wanna do higher in and see if your teachers give you chance. From now to May next year is a lot of time so not all is lost. Just make sure to enjoy your summer
Reply 3
Original post by thrivingfrog
Did you write nothing because you didn't know the answers or because of other reasons? If you know some of the content and are willing to put the work in you can 100% still get decent grades. A girl in one of my science classes went from a U to a 7 because she started to actually put the work in

Wishing you the best of luck! :smile:

I knew the answers to the question, I think it was just me being lazy and my mental health hasn't been the best in general, I feel really demotivated and not excited on getting good grades like I used to. But planning to take year 11 seriously and put in the work.
Thanls.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 4
Original post by lilhuddy
In year 10 I never picked up a revision guide, completed my homework last minute in the library during break and hardly went to school. I was averaging around 4s in all my subjects except 2 and was about to be moved down sets for maths. In year 11 Around November I picked myself up and managed to get all 7-9s. Even if you fail year 10 it doesn’t really matter. At the end of August try revising a bit (like 2 hour a day) for subject you wanna do higher in and see if your teachers give you chance. From now to May next year is a lot of time so not all is lost. Just make sure to enjoy your summer

Thanks bro, this makes me a little bit more optimistic, glad to know I can still improve and even possibly move up to higher. Do you know any revision guides to catch up on like History because we'll never repeat what we've learnt in year 10?
Original post by Mubzzz108
15/M
I never took year 10 as seriously as I should, it was just a bad year for me in general, due to my mental health in the Easter break never write anything on my mocks, did barely anything in lessons. So my question is, will this affect my GCSE's, do I still have a chance to fix up in year 11? My predicted grades are looking to be U's since I never wrote anything for my year 10 mocks... I'm in lower sets for English, Maths and Science so their's absolutely 0 chance I'm going to do Higher at this point, which I can settle with. I'm looking to get 5's in my English and Maths and Science, so I'm just wondering if that's still possible. I've also picked History and Geography and IT for my options, I'm wondering if I can still get a 4 or 5 for both of those subjects like Geography, If I can get a 5 on that I'll be pleased, History, can't lie I probably will get a 4 or either fail, because we never repeat what we've learned in year 10, so I don't really have revision sources for that, if you know of any let me know. IT , I;m good at computers so it shouldn't be a problem, just really lazy to be completing the homework , but if I can get a 7 or 6 on IT that's calm and that's what I'm aiming for.
My mum put me in for after school clubs which I'll probably be doing some work over the summer for those three subjects. I do believe I can still fix up but I'm interested to hear from you guys.

Of course there's time to fix it you just need a really good tutor who motivates you and of course your dedication If you put your mind to it anything's possible you have one whole year... you had to prioritise your mental health so it's understandable too. What helped me most out of my unproductive era was the Edumentors tutor you could check it out too. wish you so much luck!!
GCSEs are really not that important anyway so, don't worry about it...and yes you can definitely focus on things just over year 11. Obviously do make an effort in year 11, you want to at least aim to pass 5 GCSEs including English and Maths.
15/M

Yes. My time at secondary is very complicated but because of anxiety i missed all lessons from y8-11 (i did have support in catching up however) now my situation was quite different to yours however i did go from failing to passing quite quickly (and more noticeably in the last year and even more the last few months).

If u are patient with videos I would recommend Mr Bruff + Mr Salles for English, freesciencelessons, GCSE Physics Online and Emmatheteachie for science and maths genie for maths. I would especially recommend primrose kitten for maths, science + depending on your topics history. I know its a way away yet but a massive tip for me was to watch videos of theirs the night before *and* the morning of the exam. It really helps to take the information in. Primrose kitten does "everything on" videos for maths science + history (and she has them for basically any exam board) and I would *really* recommend them out of any video to watch. They give you so much key information and help u fill in knowledge gaps.

If you break down your subjects and take in as much info as you can without overwhelming yourself (please don't overwork yourself it is very important to find a balance. if you think its starting to get too much to continue working please come away from it but if you're putting it off for the sake of it try and push yourself to try some revision. If you randomly get a "hmmm maybe i should revise" thought definitely act on it) it really helps with taking in information. The "you must revise 6 hours a day to pass" or whatever that is is a myth you absolutely do not. Even half an hour a day is fine (even my learning support assistant told me this) and I survived not revising until after Christmas.

I definitely feel the pain with History. I found out half the content that was covered in y10 would be on a paper less than a week before the exam. First things first find that out earlier :,), secondly whatever it is on make sure u look at the most relevant things of the topic. Things that u could think to yourself yeah that's probably gonna come up and focus on them as much as possible. I did Cold War, America + Elizabethan England so I mostly looked at biggest causes of tension for Cold War (and the hungarian uprising because it was on every single mock lol), Civil Rights + The Great Depression for America and The Spanish Armarda + Almshouses for Elizabeth. And of those things most of them did come up in the exam. Now I don't know what you're studying so I may have just rambled about random topics for no reason. But the point is there are parts of each topic that are the most important and its really good to memorise them as well as possible which is possible in a year easily. As I mentioned watch Primrose Kitten's "everything on *topic name*" for history because they are so helpful at getting key information + very good night before/morning of an exam.

You should (I assume it'll be the same for you) have mock exams just before Christmas and just before or just after Feb half term. Don't be disheartened if the results aren't to your liking as they are just mocks but they are also super helpful to know the gaps in your knowledge and what you are confident in. I know the worry of exams are soon but your last mocks you didn't do very well on. (I can't confirm til August 25th so I'm gonna sound real stupid here if I boldly claim this) I failed all three of my paper 2 science mocks in February and my actual paper 2 exams went super good and I'm expecting a 6 at least. So there was easily time for improvement in between mocks. When they come around use mocks to your advantage of figuring out what you know, but never let them get you down it won't be the end of the world.

The most important thing is trust + believe in yourself. I know with your situation being mental health how terrible it can feel sometimes. And I know this time last year I did not think i could take 19 exams in a years time. But I did and here we are. If you believe in yourself, break things down + find a revision balance that is comfortable for you you will find a path to passing.

I'm sorry this reply is all over the place and waffley I know exactly what i want to say but I'm all over the place actually saying it lol. But my main point is have a break, come back to y11 and have a fresh start, new mindset. It is definitely possible for you to pass and I really hope you get the grades you want and I'm glad to see you're willing to try. If you are willing to try you will have a bigger chance of success. Good luck <3
15/M

Heya! If you look at entry requirements for any university, usually they dont pay too much attention on GCSEs, I think they just usually need 5 on Maths and English :smile: So don't worry too much about it. However, it's good that you want to fix your grades! It will make your A-levels a bit easier, which are very important for universities!

To begin with I would recommend developing a new revision strategy for yourself. Here is a link to different revision techniques that can help you! Try some out and see which one you like more! if you are struggling with focusing on the work, I'd recommend doing power revision where you study for 1 hr without distraction and then take 20min break then do 1hr of revision again and etc. Do lots of past papers and make notes if it helps over the summer! Some of my friends went from a 4 to a 8 in a span of 1 year after working very hard so it can be done just with lots of work and motivation!

Hope this helps and good luck!
Milena G.
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Thanks bro, this makes me a little bit more optimistic, glad to know I can still improve and even possibly move up to higher. Do you know any revision guides to catch up on like History because we'll never repeat what we've learnt in year 10?

bit late but what I did is I used my class notes to kinda make my own revision guide(?). I stole a exercise book from school and just rewrote everything which helped me memorise it
As others have said, there is absolutely a chance.

I also dossed about a lot in year 10, my only good grade was a 7 in history, missed about a third of my year due to covid too. Nonetheless I still managed to increase all of my grades (I took English from a 4 to a 9, for example).

As long as you start the year off with the right mindset, focus in lessons, and put in some graft at home you have absolutely nothing to worry about. Trust me, it will all pay off. By your Autumn trial exams you should be able to see an increase in grades to some extent and that will definitely motivate you to carry on.

Also, try and build studying and school into your life, if you make your studies a habit then it will eventually become second nature to you. Start off relatively easy, get into the swing of things, build up in intensity once you feel ready and reward yourself after each study session. Burnout's a prick but you've got this :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest