The Student Room Group

Disappointed with school report

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Muttley79
I don;t think so - this is my third school and we've always written comments. Do you get detailed feedback on your written work instead?

No :sad:
Maybe once a term one or two of my teachers will write a little “good work” comment or something in my book but otherwise nope. Other than art actually. The art department is pretty good.
So did you get written feedback on work instead?

Would you count a few ticks as feedback?
Original post by thrivingfrog
Would you count a few ticks as feedback?

No - I mark each book every week [well most weeks - maybe not if we've had a test] and write at least one sentence usually more. Many school have a feedabck system where you get a strength and a target
Original post by RushingRiver
Thank you, I’ll give that a go! Sounds like a lot of work though :tongue: your improvement was amazing, especially maths! I’ve never heard of anyone going up so many grades :smile:

Honestly, it’s a really good method for maths, especially. Physics and maths tutor is a good website for access to past papers, so it is good to use with the method.

I reckon in your case, your teachers are being harsh, in the hopes that it will push you to work at either the same standard or to a higher standard. However, it is demoralising when this happens, hence why I’m not inclined to believe much thought went into entering these grades.
No :sad:
Maybe once a term one or two of my teachers will write a little “good work” comment or something in my book but otherwise nope. Other than art actually. The art department is pretty good.

Oh ... read my reply to thrivingfrog :smile:
Original post by TypicalNerd
Honestly, it’s a really good method for maths, especially. Physics and maths tutor is a good website for access to past papers, so it is good to use with the method.

I reckon in your case, your teachers are being harsh, in the hopes that it will push you to work at either the same standard or to a higher standard. However, it is demoralising when this happens, hence why I’m not inclined to believe much thought went into entering these grades.

To be fair, it’s a very badly written report. I have an effort grade for separate science and I don’t even do that, I do combined :lol:
No - I mark each book every week [well most weeks - maybe not if we've had a test] and write at least one sentence usually more. Many school have a feedabck system where you get a strength and a target

I think I got written feedback from art, history and sometimes English but that's it- my maths teacher marked my book once in the 2 years I had her

In years 7-9, the teachers made students write strengths and targets for each other but never set any :/ now we don’t even do that… covid made my school a lot worse :sad:
My geography teacher also put on the report that my effort “needs work” which really hurts because I give 100% in all of my subjects and I don’t know what I did wrong. I did all the homework, all the classwork, highlighted my notes, never got below a 7 in any tests - I don’t know what’s expected of me!

This happened to me in secondary school a lot too and it used to really upsets me. How much effort you put into something is internal so it's not always noticeable. It is worth asking them though! :hugs:
I think I got written feedback from art, history and sometimes English but that's it- my maths teacher marked my book once in the 2 years I had her

:s-smilie: Well clearly there's no monitoring going on and Ofsted would pick this up.

I sample books from the department to make sure they are being marke. Is there a marking policy? There should be ...
Original post by Obolinda
This happened to me in secondary school a lot too and it used to really upsets me. How much effort you put into something is internal so it's not always noticeable. It is worth asking them though! :hugs:

He’s moving to Dubai lol, not gonna get much feedback from him now!
He literally said throughout the year how hard I worked and how he’d never seen anyone predicted a 9 before in his 5 years of teaching. I even went to geography club after school - he clearly knew I was trying. Maybe just a computer error or something, idk.
:s-smilie: Well clearly there's no monitoring going on and Ofsted would pick this up.

I sample books from the department to make sure they are being marke. Is there a marking policy? There should be ...

Idk they got 'good' from ofsted like 2 months ago :confused:
Well books get sampled around once a term but the teachers are told beforehand so they just take those specific books and mark them then
Idk they got 'good' from ofsted like 2 months ago :confused:
Well books get sampled around once a term but the teachers are told beforehand so they just take those specific books and mark them then

So when teachers are observed don't books get checked? Ofsted clearly were a bit slack...
So when teachers are observed don't books get checked? Ofsted clearly were a bit slack...

Not sure- I was in an exam when they came and it was the first inspection since I'd been there due to covid etc
Not sure- I was in an exam when they came and it was the first inspection since I'd been there due to covid etc

Inspections were suspended in 2020/21 ... they are far less thorough than they used to be ...
(edited 1 year ago)
Inspections were suspended in 2020/21 ... they are far less thorough than they used to be ...

Seems that way :dontknow:

Quick Reply

Latest