The Student Room Group

BMAT 2023 entry discussions megathread *Updated 14th October 2022*

Note there will only be one BMAT sitting this year, on 18th October after the early UCAT deadline for Medicine applications: https://support.admissionstesting.org/hc/en-gb/articles/4411329628818-Admissions-Testing-sessions-in-2022

Good luck to all BMAT takers!!

The TSR BMAT wiki page is here.

If you are looking for the UCAT 2023 thread it's here.

Here is the BMAT 2022 thread (discussion of tests taken in 2021)
Here is the BMAT 2021 thread (discussion of tests taken in 2020)
Here is the BMAT 2020 thread (discussion of tests taken in 2019)
Here is the BMAT 2019 thread (discussion of tests taken in 2018)

What is the BMAT?
The BMAT (Biomedical Admissions Test) is a 2 hour examination required for entry to a number of Medical Schools in the United Kingdom, Singapore, Thailand, Malaysia, Spain and Netherlands as well as a selection of Dentistry and Biomedical Science courses.

When is the BMAT?
The BMAT examination is scheduled to take place on Wednesday 2nd November 2022. For 2020 entry, there was also an option for a September BMAT sitting (with results released prior to the 15th October deadline). This option was not present for 2021, 2022 and 2023 entry and it is presently unclear if this option will be available for 2024 entry.

https://support.admissionstesting.org/hc/en-gb/articles/4411329628818-Admissions-Testing-sessions-in-2022

Who has to take the BMAT?

Undergraduate Medicine Applicants to: University of Oxford, University of Cambridge, Imperial College London, University College London, Brighton and Sussex Medical School, Lancaster University, University of Leeds, Lee Kong Chian School of Medicine (Singapore), University of Malaya (Malaysia), Thammasat University CICM, (Thailand), Mahidol University (Thailand), Keele (International applicants only), Manchester (select international applicants).

Graduate Medicine Applicants to: University of Oxford, Imperial College London.

Biomedical Science Applicants to: University of Oxford

Dentistry Applicants to: University of Leeds, Thammasat University (Thailand), University of Melbourne (Australia)

How to Prepare for the BMAT?
The first and most important step is to consider the BMAT like any other A-Level or GCSE examination, and ignore any mention of the BMAT as 'an examination that cannot be prepared for.' There is a statistically significant correlation between the amount one prepares for the BMAT, and one's BMAT score.

Section 1 (Aptitude and Skills) - 32 MCQ, 60 Minutes
Question Types: Problem Solving & Critical Thinking

A) Resources - Make use of the abundance of free practice resources available for Section 1. In addition to the Official BMAT Past Papers, Oxford TSA Past Papers provide additional practice for Problem Solving questions whilst OCR Critical Thinking Unit 2 is a very useful practice resource for Critical Thinking Questions.

B) Recognise Pitfalls - In contrast to most A-Level examinations, BMAT Section 1 is full of tricks and trips, intended to misguide students. Fortunately, there are only so-many tricks that the BMAT are able to use. Hence, each time you come across one of these, add it to your 'personal list', to avoid making the same mistake in future practice.

Section 2 (Scientific Knowledge and Applications) - 27 MCQ, 30 Minutes
Question Types: Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics

A) Official Resource Guide - With this being the official resource guide, there really is no better resource for Section 2 preparation. Most students find it best to quickly review the whole guide and highlight any topics which they have not covered at GCSE level for further learning. Bear in mind that whilst Section 2 is supposed to be 'GCSE Level'; the examination can assess topics which you may not have covered until AS and sometimes even A2 due to variation in exam board specifications.

B) Timing - Half the challenge of Section 2 is the limited time; hence, it essential to practice this section under strict timed conditions. Fast mental maths, confident use of fractions and a good background Biology knowledge, will ensure that you have additional time for those challenging Physics and Chemistry calculations.

C) Resources - Once you have completed all official and BMAT specific resources, GCSE Bitesize is of some use, whilst you may wish to also consider practicing GCSE Maths Calculator papers, without a calculator in order to further improve your mental maths.

D) BMAT Subject Guide - Past Papers are categorised by subjects. Useful resource if you are stronger/weaker in certain subjects.

Section 3 (Written Task) - 1 Essay (Choice of 3), 30 Minutes
Question Types: Topical Medical Issues, Medical Ethics, Medical Philosophy, Veterinary Medicine

A) Address all parts of the question - Each question normally has three or four parts. Regardless of how good your essay is, if you do not address all parts of the question, your essay will be capped at 3/3.5 as per the Section 3 Official Marking Criteria.

B) Plan - With 30 minutes, and less than one A4 sheet provided, this section is the least time restricted. Essays which score highest are those which are well structured and address all parts of the question, bringing in additional topical examples and knowledge.

Free BMAT Resources
A) Official BMAT Past Papers (Style 1)
B) Official BMAT Past Papers (Style 2)
C) Past Paper Worked Solutions
D) Section 1 Practice Questions
E) Section 2 Practice Questions
F) Practice Questions
G) BMAT Subject Guide
H) 50+ Free BMAT Articles/Tutorials

Essential Books
A) Preparing for the BMAT: The Official Guide to the Biomedical Admissions Test
B) BMAT Past Paper Worked Solutions (2003-Present)

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for, advertise or mention group chats.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!

Post originally created by ecolier.
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Good luck to everyone! :smile:

@RoadtoSuccess this may be a thread worth watching :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 3
Any indication as to whether it is on paper or computers this year?
Reply 4
Looking at the dates for this year, they're both on the same day with no alternative days. Are they also the same time of day or is it possible to request doing it a different day ?
Original post by rw14_
Any indication as to whether it is on paper or computers this year?

It will be computer based and only in November I asked them about that.
Is there an official day confirmed for the BMAT exam this year? I keep seeing 3rd November 2022, not sure if that's the only date that applicants can sit the exam.
I Hadn't noticed. Thank you.
I just saw a new webinar for BMAT format for November 2022.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VFyFGP6A5w
Although when I emailed Cambridge assessments a month ago they informed me that it will be computer based, on the video attached above they say that it will be paper based. Does anyone know what the format will be ?
Reply 9
Does anyone know if Medify is suitable for BMAT revision? Or are there better resources out there for BMAT?
Original post by rw14_
Does anyone know if Medify is suitable for BMAT revision? Or are there better resources out there for BMAT?

Hi! Yes medify is appropriate for revision practice exercises and mocks but for the theory content I would suggest the guide on the bmat website. :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Greekdentist
Hi! Yes medify is appropriate for revision practice exercises and mocks but for the theory content I would suggest the guide on the bmat website. :smile:

Thanks. :smile:
Having moved here in year 12 I’m doing math, biology and chemistry and nearing the end of year 12 I’ve been doing really well. Predicted A* A* A* but I’ve recently started going over BMAT section 2 and there are some clear gaps in my knowledge especially in Maths and Physics due to not having done your GCSE content. What resource can I use to bridge these gaps.
Original post by Mustafa-28
Having moved here in year 12 I’m doing math, biology and chemistry and nearing the end of year 12 I’ve been doing really well. Predicted A* A* A* but I’ve recently started going over BMAT section 2 and there are some clear gaps in my knowledge especially in Maths and Physics due to not having done your GCSE content. What resource can I use to bridge these gaps.

As above the best resource is the CAAT BMAT guide. As CAAT make the exam it is literally everything you are looking for. Use the BMAT, TSA Section 1. It’s outlined on page 1
Original post by Mustafa-28

Hiya,

As mentioned, using the BMAT guide on the official CAAT website is your best bet. I remember struggling with maths and physics too when I was preparing for the UCAT, and using the guide helped immensely as it actually explains concepts quite well! I also went over the Biology and Chemistry sections on the guide too, and realised that there were a few bits of info that i wasn't taught in my GCSE science courses. So i also recommend using the other sections in the guide because you can fill in the gaps in your knowledge that you didn't realise you missed out during your previous education experiences :smile:.

I also used BBC Bitesize alongside the BMAT CAAT guide to delve deeper into topics that I still struggled on, so I recommend doing that too :u:

Hope this helps! If you have any more questions then lmk :h:

Marimo
UCL Y2 Med Student
Medic Mind
Original post by rw14_

Hi there,

Yes! Medify is a great resource; I know many people who used Medify and found it very useful.

Having said that, there are also plenty of free resources that you can use instead (or supplementary to) Medify BMAT resources, including our BMAT past paper bank with worked solutions. You could also look at past TSA papers, NSAA papers, IMAT past papers and the ENGAA past papers (they're all free online!!). But as @Greekdentist has said, for the theory side, the official subject guide on the BMAT website is very useful and I supplemented the info on there with GCSE Bitesize lol. :grin:

If you're looking for alternative paid resources, there are a whole host of other websites online. Here at Medic Mind we have 1-1 tutoring and other BMAT courses that you can look into if you're interested; we also offer a lot of bursaries which can help out financially :h:. I also know lots of other BMAT revision platforms offer bursaries so you could do some investigation into that :smile:

Good luck, and lmk if you have more questions regarding BMAT!

Marimo
UCL Y2 Med Student
Medic Mind
Reply 16
Really useful info, thanks All! any courses you would recommend for BMAT?
Original post by RK09
Really useful info, thanks All! any courses you would recommend for BMAT?

Hi!

So there are lots of courses out there that you can do, and i'd recommend looking around for the best one for you. In general, for the BMAT you want to invest in a question bank so that you can blitz through as many questions as you can on the sections that you're weak on. :h:

We have a BMAT online course and a BMAT preparation course which you could consider :u:. We also have a free BMAT question bank that I would definitely look into!

If you choose to do a course, I'd recommend doing it before you start any revision so that you know how to approach the studying for the BMAT and receive useful tips and tricks beforehand :h:. For the BMAT, I'd recommend revising for 6-8 weeks, making sure that you have plenty of time to really target your areas of weaknesses!

Marimo
UCL Y2 Med Student
Medic Mind
Original post by rw14_

I used medify for UCAT and found it really helpful. The style of questions on the BMAT are quite different to the UCAT, I basically did past papers. I marked each one after I’d done it, looked at where I dropped marks and reviewed those topics, using the BMAT guide and various online revision materials including BBC bite size. I did the usual Chem/bio/maths at A level so found it was mainly physics topics I needed to go over.

For the essay question I did loads of bullet point essay plans on last paper questions and wrote a few of them out in full. They basically want to see a structure that has an intro, points ‘for’ and ‘against’, then a conclusion that is balanced and draw on the points you’ve pulled out in your previous paragraphs.
Reply 19
thanks Marimo 👍👍

Quick Reply