The Student Room Group

Dropping out of second year uni - how?

hi, I am highly considering dropping out of university, however I am worried I have left it too late for it to work financially.
Is there another way I could afford rent without the maintenance loan? I like living independently and live with a few other housemates however I am realising that university really isn't for me at the moment and mentally I cannot cope with it. I would like to try and get an internship/work instead for now, preferably while living in my current house since I am tied to this contract and it would be unfair towards my housemates for me to move back home (otherwise they would have to cover my rent? - I'm not really sure how this works).
Please speak to your Student welfare officer.

Please really consider your reasons for wanting to leave the course. There is usually some help available for students who are finding it difficult. You have not been in your second year for very long and things may improve. With experience, and maybe some support, your study skills can improve and you can start to enjoy uni more.

It can also be difficult working while people in the house are students. That is not an easier option.
Original post by SpiderCrab
Please speak to your Student welfare officer.

Please really consider your reasons for wanting to leave the course. There is usually some help available for students who are finding it difficult. You have not been in your second year for very long and things may improve. With experience, and maybe some support, your study skills can improve and you can start to enjoy uni more.

It can also be difficult working while people in the house are students. That is not an easier option.

It's a really difficult decision. I wish I could complete my course. I reached out to the university's wellbeing team and NHS last year and the process was so long and it ended up not being particularly helpful for me. I think I am better suited to working but I know it closes a lot of doors related to what I may want to do, but I feel as though it may be the best way to protect my health and enjoy life a little bit more.
Original post by mistyflora
It's a really difficult decision. I wish I could complete my course. I reached out to the university's wellbeing team and NHS last year and the process was so long and it ended up not being particularly helpful for me. I think I am better suited to working but I know it closes a lot of doors related to what I may want to do, but I feel as though it may be the best way to protect my health and enjoy life a little bit more.

People do take a year out from their studies for various reasons. Consider asking the uni for a year out. Keep the door open to return if you change your mind.
Original post by SpiderCrab
People do take a year out from their studies for various reasons. Consider asking the uni for a year out. Keep the door open to return if you change your mind.

would I still be entitled to my maintenance loan? I rely on it to pay rent, as even with a job it wont be enough to pay for it.
If you are not a student you should not rely on student finance.
I would echo what everyone else has said and take a year out
Original post by Thisismyunitsr
I would echo what everyone else has said and take a year out

I would like to, but it's not so simple as it's second year and I'm worried about finance, especially for rent.
Original post by mistyflora
I would like to, but it's not so simple as it's second year and I'm worried about finance, especially for rent.

It’s easy. If you drop out before your first two weeks you don’t pay tuition fees. As for rent, if you are not at university you don’t have to pay rent

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending