The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE Anthropology and Law 2023

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous229
Hi guys, I have made this forum to see if there are other people applying for Anthro and Law!

My PS was mainly Law however I did discuss anthropological themes such as medical anthropology
and religion.
My other choices were
University of Nottingham- LLB- offer
University of Birmingham- LLB-offer
University of Exeter-LLB-offer
University of Leeds- pending

Stats:
9776666554 - maths (7) english (5- reported EC)
A level Psych - A
A level Turkish - A* - non native
BTEC Computing - D*
BTEC Business - D*
EPQ - A*
All grades are achieved
Quintile 1 postcode and average grade at my sixth form was a D.

I know my stats are not the best, especially since I did BTECS, however their website does state that they consider on a case-by-case basis if the applicant has two traditional a levels.

I applied 9 weeks ago, anyone heard anything?

Hi is this celal?
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Has anyone recieved an offer and is planning on declining?
Hey! Just a reminder we have an offer holder chat :smile: hmu to be added.
Reply 83
Original post by girlendymion
Hey! Just a reminder we have an offer holder chat :smile: hmu to be added.

Is it the one with like 6 people?
Original post by shivshiv16
Is it the one with like 6 people?

...yes. Work in progress 🥲
Reply 85
Original post by Anonymous
Omg I just got an offer!!!
I’m a contextual applicant so ABB
🥲I’m in utter shock rn I was fully expecting a rejection.
Hope everyone on this thread receives the same news!

ohmg well done!!!
(I'm in year 12 rn and I'm a little lost, can I have your insta to ask a few questions please :smile: )
what month did you guys hear back from lse?
Original post by lunaaaaaaaa12345
what month did you guys hear back from lse?

End of April (received an offer). I wouldn't expect to hear back (at least with good news) until around late Feb/early March at the earliest.
Original post by Anonymous #1
End of April (received an offer). I wouldn't expect to hear back (at least with good news) until around late Feb/early March at the earliest.

Thank you so much for the reply! Would this offer be the case even if i applied early november?
Hi, do you think lse look more at grades of personal statement for this course?
Original post by Anonymous #5
Hi, do you think lse look more at grades of personal statement for this course?

Definitely personal statement. There's actually a very small number of offers given out (around 30) but usually around 500+ applicants so the only way for them to differentiate between applicants is the PS. In terms of what they're looking for in the PS, it should have a good balance between anthropology and law, although it's fine for the two categories to overlap. For example, someone might write about human rights from both a law perspective and then go onto talk about it from an anthro perspective, perhaps relating it back to cultural relativism.

I'm an LSE Anthro & Law student btw so if anyone has any questions about the course or LSE in general, let me know.
Original post by lunaaaaaaaa12345
Thank you so much for the reply! Would this offer be the case even if i applied early november?

No problem. Yes, LSE takes a while to give out offers, especially for this course as the anthropology department have to also consider who they're giving straight Anthro offers to as well as Anthro and Law offers
Original post by poppy2022
No problem. Yes, LSE takes a while to give out offers, especially for this course as the anthropology department have to also consider who they're giving straight Anthro offers to as well as Anthro and Law offers
Hi, ive applied to anthropology and law and have been waiting since november, im starting to get worried. Im also worried about my personal statement as im scared it doesnt have a lot of anthropology in it. I wrote a bit about how the law changes depending on culture of a society, does that link to anthropology?
Hi, ive applied to anthropology and law and have been waiting since november, im starting to get worried. Im also worried about my personal statement as im scared it doesnt have a lot of anthropology in it. I wrote a bit about how the law changes depending on culture of a society, does that link to anthropology?
Hello, LSE always takes very long to respond. I personally didn't hear back until April and I know some people who got their offers later than myself. The law changing depending on culture of a society is definitely relevant to anthro. It will definitely work in your favour if you also had some more references to anthro in your statement. Either way, it's really impossible to predict the outcome, especially as the course is quite oversubscribed. Someone's personal statement can have a perfect 50/50 split between the two subjects and still get rejected as there may be someone with a 30/70 split who just happens to have a stronger personal statement. I know from experience how hard it is to just cast the worries out of your mind, but just remember that it's out of your control now. Focus on what is in your control which is getting good A level grades. I personally know a few people who successfully got an anthro and law offer but didn't end up making the grades, so offers really aren't everything.
(edited 2 months ago)
Hello, LSE always takes very long to respond. I personally didn't hear back until April and I know some people who got their offers later than myself. The law changing depending on culture of a society is definitely relevant to anthro. It will definitely work in your favour if you also had some more references to anthro in your statement. Either way, it's really impossible to predict the outcome, especially as the course is quite oversubscribed. Someone's personal statement can have a perfect 50/50 split between the two subjects and still get rejected as there may be someone with a 30/70 split who just happens to have a stronger personal statement. I know from experience how hard it is to just cast the worries out of your mind, but just remember that it's out of your control now. Focus on what is in your control which is getting good A level grades. I personally know a few people who successfully got an anthro and law offer but didn't end up making the grades, so offers really aren't everything.
Thank you so much for the reply. I also wanted to ask about grades. If i have a strong set of gcse grades and strong predicted grades do you think that would advantage me? Or do you think it truly depends on the personal statement?
Thank you so much for the reply. I also wanted to ask about grades. If i have a strong set of gcse grades and strong predicted grades do you think that would advantage me? Or do you think it truly depends on the personal statement?
It definitely won't work against you, although I'm hesitant to say it will significantly increase your chances as it's almost expected for LSE. As in, a very large portion of those who do apply (and also of the current student body) would have also got top grades. For anthro and law in particular though, you could have 15 grade 9s at GCSE and 5 A*s at A-Level but if they don't think you've demonstrated enough of an interest in anthro as well as law, the person who just meets the grade requirements who does do this will be favoured. The reason why the grade requirements for anthro and law are lower is not because the course is any easier or less reputable, but because they're looking for demonstrated interest in both subjects which applicants often find hard to properly portray. Therefore, by lowering the requirements they're really just widening the pool of applicants so that they can find what they're looking for.

Of course, the applicant with a great personal statement and a strong set of grades will be in the best position, but grades will never make up for a poor statement, they'll only ever act as a supporting factor.
(edited 2 months ago)
It definitely won't work against you, although I'm hesitant to say it will significantly increase your chances as it's almost expected for LSE. As in, a very large portion of those who do apply (and also of the current student body) would have also got top grades. For anthro and law in particular though, you could have 15 grade 9s at GCSE and 5 A*s at A-Level but if they don't think you've demonstrated enough of an interest in anthro as well as law, the person who just meets the grade requirements who does do this will be favoured. The reason why the grade requirements for anthro and law are lower is not because the course is any easier or less reputable, but because they're looking for demonstrated interest in both subjects which applicants often find hard to properly portray. Therefore, by lowering the requirements they're really just widening the pool of applicants so that they can find what they're looking for.

Of course, the applicant with a great personal statement and a strong set of grades will be in the best position, but grades will never make up for a poor statement, they'll only ever act as a supporting factor.
Thank you so much for the help, I hope i will get a decision soon. Do you know when the earliest decisions are given out?
I also mentioned a harvard university online course. Is this a bad thing that i mentioned harvard in paritcular?
I also mentioned a harvard university online course. Is this a bad thing that i mentioned harvard in paritcular?
No, it's fine to mention other universities. There may have been some offers given out from mid-March, although you can double check on the 2022-23 LSE Offer Holder spreadsheet on last year's thread
No, it's fine to mention other universities. There may have been some offers given out from mid-March, although you can double check on the 2022-23 LSE Offer Holder spreadsheet on last year's thread
Thank you for all the help. Do you think political correctness within law links to anthropology and also topics such as affirmitive action, income distribution and same sex marriage?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending