The Student Room Group

Can I lie/bend the truth on my UCAS personal statement

My dad attended university in Nepal (my home country), however that degree held no place once we moved here to the UK. Because of that he now works a low paying job that doesn’t require qualifications of any kind. Would it be ok if I wrote in my personal statement that I am the first generation in my family to attend University? I don’t think it’s particularly wrong of me to do as I personally come from a low-income background.
Original post by ChanBlinkOnce
My dad attended university in Nepal (my home country), however that degree held no place once we moved here to the UK. Because of that he now works a low paying job that doesn’t require qualifications of any kind. Would it be ok if I wrote in my personal statement that I am the first generation in my family to attend University? I don’t think it’s particularly wrong of me to do as I personally come from a low-income background.

What’s the point?
That won’t make any difference to your chances of an offer. Universities that have contextual offers/arrangements for first generation students don’t use the PS to identify which applicants are eligible.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by PQ
What’s the point?
That won’t make any difference to your chances of an offer. Universities that have contextual offers/arrangements for first generation students don’t use the PS to identify which applicants are eligible.

Hi could you explain to me how exactly the identify who is eligible? I’m in year 12 and I don’t know much about how exactly people get contextual offers
Hi could you explain to me how exactly the identify who is eligible? I’m in year 12 and I don’t know much about how exactly people get contextual offers

Most universities don’t use first generation for contextual offers as it’s not something that can be verified. Those that do will look at the specific answer to the question about parental experience of HE in the ucas form.

Look at the access and participation/widening participation information on the websites of your preferred universities to see if they use this information or not.

It’s worth pointing out that when you submit your ucas application you agree to a declaration that everything is true and complete - so if you knowingly answer a question asking about parents experience of HE with a lie (especially if you’re lying because you think it will benefit you) will make your application technically fraudulent. It’s unlikely but if a university did find out that you had lied on your application then they would be entitled to withdraw any offer made on the basis of that information.

Hi,

It's good that you decided to go to Uni. A personal Statement is convincing the University to accept your application and demonstrating why you would be a good student for the Programme. It is okay to talk about being the first generation as long as you aren't lying or bending the truth. Speak Clearly! Anyways, I'd advise not to dwell to much on that and focus other areas. For example, how eager you are to learn, what good deed you've done in school/community, your good qualities. Nowadays there are a lot of first generation students so you might still be among a large number meaning you have to stand out with something else. Wish you a successful application and hope this helps! Thanks.

Benedicta,
University of Sunderland Student Ambassador.
Original post by University of Sunderland Student Ambassador
Hi,

It's good that you decided to go to Uni. A personal Statement is convincing the University to accept your application and demonstrating why you would be a good student for the Programme. It is okay to talk about being the first generation as long as you aren't lying or bending the truth. Speak Clearly! Anyways, I'd advise not to dwell to much on that and focus other areas. For example, how eager you are to learn, what good deed you've done in school/community, your good qualities. Nowadays there are a lot of first generation students so you might still be among a large number meaning you have to stand out with something else. Wish you a successful application and hope this helps! Thanks.

Benedicta,
University of Sunderland Student Ambassador.

It is lying to state that you're a first generation to attend university if your father attended university and obtained a degree

It's understandable that you want to highlight your achievements and the unique challenges you've faced in your personal statement, especially given your family's background and your father's experience with higher education.

That being said, it's important to be truthful and accurate in your personal statement. If your father attended university in Nepal but his degree is not recognized in the UK, then it would not be accurate to say that you are the first generation in your family to attend university in the UK.

Instead, you could focus on your own experiences and achievements, and how they have prepared you for success in higher education. You could also discuss the challenges you've faced and how you've overcome them, such as growing up in a low-income household.

Ultimately, the goal of your personal statement is to give admissions officers a sense of who you are as a person and why you would be a good fit for their institution. By focusing on your own experiences and achievements, you can make a strong case for why you would be a valuable addition to their community.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending