The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Leeds or Durham - computer science

I wonder if anyone can offer any advice for my son ( and me) ! He’s applied for computer science and has an offer for uo Manchester , uni of Leeds and Durham. He’s predicted 3a * which he needs for Manchester which will probably be his firm. He was going to choose Leeds as insurance which is 3 as but what’s now confused us he’s been given a contextual offer for durham. So lower grades for a ‘better’ uni. He has it in his mind he wants a city / vibrant etc so I understand that but he knows how good a uni Durham is, it seems mad to turn it down. He’s sure he’d enjoy himself in Durham but it’s so different from anywhere to conquer it too. Would it be a bit mad to turn down Durham over Leeds. Does it make a big difference to employment opportunities what uni you studied at? Any advice or first hand experience would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Jomacdermott
I wonder if anyone can offer any advice for my son ( and me) ! He’s applied for computer science and has an offer for uo Manchester , uni of Leeds and Durham. He’s predicted 3a * which he needs for Manchester which will probably be his firm. He was going to choose Leeds as insurance which is 3 as but what’s now confused us he’s been given a contextual offer for durham. So lower grades for a ‘better’ uni. He has it in his mind he wants a city / vibrant etc so I understand that but he knows how good a uni Durham is, it seems mad to turn it down. He’s sure he’d enjoy himself in Durham but it’s so different from anywhere to conquer it too. Would it be a bit mad to turn down Durham over Leeds. Does it make a big difference to employment opportunities what uni you studied at? Any advice or first hand experience would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Lots of people rule out Durhan because they want a city vibe and think Durham won't be as vibrant. All I can say I have one(son) in Sheffield and one in Durham, and the one in Sheffield wishes he had gone to Durham , as son in Durham has much better social life, because of the collegiate system. Each college has weekly events, as well as balls, formal dinners, their own clubs and societies, as well as college wide clubs and societies. The colleges , have events in the 1st few weeks, to make sure students settle in well, and they are so supportive. Durham is a very student friendly town. If you can attend a discover Durham tour, I would recommend it
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by ajl1972
Lots of people rule out Durhan because they want a city vibe and think Durham won't be as vibrant. All I can say I have one(son) in Sheffield and one in Durham, and the one in Sheffield wishes he had gone to Durham , as son in Durham has much better social life, because of the collegiate system. Each college has weekly events, as well as balls, formal dinners, their own clubs and societies, as well as college wide clubs and societies. The colleges , have events in the 1st few weeks, to make sure students settle in well, and they are so supportive. Durham is a very student friendly town. If you can attend a discover Durham tour, I would recommend it

Thanks we went to an offer holders day last week. Even though it’s not a busy city I definitely get the impression it’s really sociable. I think he’d have a really great student experience there. He’s also a little concerned about things like gowned formals etc as he doesn’t want to be anywhere he think is ‘pretentious’ (his words)
Reply 3
Original post by Jomacdermott
Thanks we went to an offer holders day last week. Even though it’s not a busy city I definitely get the impression it’s really sociable. I think he’d have a really great student experience there. He’s also a little concerned about things like gowned formals etc as he doesn’t want to be anywhere he think is ‘pretentious’ (his words)

My son is in Trevelyan, which is gowned, but really not pretentious. The hill colleges have a more laid back reputation, than the bailey colleges but everybody ends up loving their college, no matter where they end up...
What are the Maths modules in Computer Science like... hard?

Quick Reply

Latest