The Student Room Group

What phone do you have?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by boulderingislife
"The iPhone 8 was released on September 22, 2017" according to google - i'm happy to spend a bit more to get something with more longevity. From release date, do you know how many years on average apple supports their phones? is it 8 years?

When you say support are you saying warranty wise
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Mohammed_80
When you say support are you saying warranty wise

No, just security updates. Currently my iphone se is supported, but i heard a rumour they're planning to stop security updates in the next year or so, so I want to make sure I upgrade by then so I don't have to worrry about banking security etc as I use banking apps on my phone.
No, just security updates. Currently my iphone se is supported, but i heard a rumour they're planning to stop security updates in the next year or so, so I want to make sure I upgrade by then so I don't have to worrry about banking security etc as I use banking apps on my phone.

Well software updates in the forms of patches and bug fixes occur on a regular basis meaning you’d just have to update to the latest iOS. At the same time as for banking security use the various methods of security you have available for nobody but besides you to access like biometric face or touch.
Well software updates in the forms of patches and bug fixes occur on a regular basis meaning you’d just have to update to the latest iOS. At the same time as for banking security use the various methods of security you have available for nobody but besides you to access like biometric face or touch.

I get that about the biometric, but i read support stops and then you're vulnerable to hackers etc. Is that not a concern? Read this for more info on my concerns: https://www.howtogeek.com/774128/so-your-iphone-has-stopped-receiving-updates-now-what/
I get that about the biometric, but i read support stops and then you're vulnerable to hackers etc. Is that not a concern? Read this for more info on my concerns: https://www.howtogeek.com/774128/so-your-iphone-has-stopped-receiving-updates-now-what/

As the older the model of the phone the outdated it’ll become and apple will no longer support your clearly due an upgrade by the means of it.
As the older the model of the phone the outdated it’ll become and apple will no longer support your clearly due an upgrade by the means of it.

Exactly, my 2016 iphone SE (1st gen) is getting towards the end of it's natural life now (in terms of updates anyway). That's why i'm thinking about an upgrade. I don't think the iphone 8 is the way to go though as it's only 1 year newer than my current iphone, any by that logic it'll be outdated in a year or two.
(edited 1 year ago)
Exactly, my 2016 iphone is getting towards the end of it's natural life now (in terms of updates anyway). That's why i'm thinking about an upgrade. I don't think the iphone 8 is the way to go though as it's only 1 year newer than my current iphone, any by that logic it'll be outdated in a year or two.

I believe the SE is like 10 equivalent I would be safe in choosing the SE or go for an 11
I have an iphone se (1st gen) - 2016 model.

Might upgrade in the next year or so. Looking for suggestions on what phone to get 😊🙏🏽

Cliche and all but, if you want to be stress-free with a phone that will last at least 5 years, get an iPhone.
iPhone 11
I have an iphone se (1st gen) - 2016 model.

Might upgrade in the next year or so. Looking for suggestions on what phone to get 😊🙏🏽

My current smartphone is Nothing Phone 1 released in 2022 which is a great phone with a stock Android experience and other specifications that are not bad at all at this price range (midrange). But Nothing Phone 2 is coming this year which will be a flagship one. They're doing their absolute best as a newcomer to the industry to provide the best service 'cos they're trying to thrive the competition.

If you're an Apple product lover, then the next series of iPhones are definitely for you. The overall compact phone (though I personally don't like Apple). If you want the best Android experience, the Google Pixel series is for you along with Samsung. If you want the best camera performance, then you can go for the Vivo X series or Oppo Find X series or Xiaomi Ultra series.

If you want to know more, let me know.

But above all, your budget matters.
Reply 30
Original post by londonmyst
I only use non-smartphones.
My favourites are nokia 3330s, nokia 3410s and the samsung keystone series.

My other half is the same !! But then he spends his time asking me to research things on mine!🤦🏼*♀️🤷🏼*♀️
Original post by Talkative Toad
Android one

iPhone now but typing this on Android

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending