The Student Room Group

What should I do to get to Cambridge?

I am a year 9 student wanting to go to Cambridge for History. I go to a state school, if that helps.

Is there anything anyone thinks I should do (awards I should try to win, extracurriculars I should try, etc etc) to help me get there.

I am open to anything, has anyone got any ideas?

Thank you,
Jess
What is your ethnicity, have you been in care, estranged from your parents or are eligible for free school meals?
Original post by Anonymous
What is your ethnicity, have you been in care, estranged from your parents or are eligible for free school meals?

I am white, and I have not been in care, estranged from my parents and am not eligible for free school meals
I am a year 9 student wanting to go to Cambridge for History. I go to a state school, if that helps.

Is there anything anyone thinks I should do (awards I should try to win, extracurriculars I should try, etc etc) to help me get there.

Thank you,
Jess

Step 1)Academic Weapon

-Bang out your GCSEs, you can get all 9s, so make sure ur doing everything u can to ensure this. Talk to each of ur teachers, make your ambition known and see how they can support you.
-Learn more about A level History, and start entering history essay competitions if possible, research some ones for year 10/11/12s and start seeing if you understand the questions, and start submitting entries to this. It's perfectly fine if you don't know how to write a good essay, or even understand the question, but you'll start developing the skills, to become an elite historian, and get ready for a History degree at Cambridge

Step 2) Intellectual
-Make sure you're immersing yourself in history content regularly, from Radio 4's In Our Time, to reading books on different time periods. Read widely at first, and when you've found a particular niche topic which interests you, feed into that. Be ready to talk about this passion in depth, and learn it like the back of your hand.
Books, moocs, essay competitions.

Thank you,
Jess

At this stage, I wouldn't be worrying about applying to uni.

You have only just started your GCSEs and have a couple of years before you sit them. Really at this point, I would just focus on your studies and have fun. The uni application process (specifically Cambs) is very stressful - you don't need that stress at the moment.

If there are any supercurricular opportunities that come up that take your fancy, then go along to them. Apart from that, explore your passions and experiment with what subjects you enjoy, you may find something else of interest.

You've got many years before you have to apply to uni:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending