The Student Room Group

What to do when I fail my GCSEs?

hi all. for pretty much the entirety of my GCSE years i haven't studied. at the start, it was on purpose. i was lazy, and my mindset was "i'll do it later, when the exams are closer". my problem is that recently i've been suffering with memory loss, concentration issues, brain fog & something that stops me from reading? it's really hard to describe. i can't read long paragraphs, i get lost in the words, forget their meanings & once i finish reading, i forgot what i just read. i'm hoping you see the problem here. all revision i do is worthless. i can remember some things from school, pretty much only the basics. i can't even get checked out by a doctor. the waiting times are insane, especially for mental health / neurological issues. it's really saddening to know that the potential is there but i can't access it. being able to read a paragraph would be a huge accomplishment at this point. i have to break them down into small chunks. i'm really scared that i'm going to fail my GCSEs, and i think it's a fact that i'm going to fail. i'm trying to remain hopeful (for some reason?????) but i think my own brain set me up for failure. i applied for a college but i'd need to get 7 GCSEs to even be able to go there. we did some of our GCSEs in year 10, which was a bit weird. i got 2 C's and i was really happy about it. every other grade was lower than a C. i now see that in the real world, this was an awful achievement, and really, it shouldn't even be considered an achievement. i can't wait to be stuck living here working at mcdonalds to try and live a *****y life in a small apartment infested with bugs !!!!!! i love the education system!!!!!!!. it really is just one big memory test. i wish things were done differently. maybe if they based this off of intelligence instead of memory, i'd have a bright future, but for now all i have waiting for me is a depressing 9-5.

can anyone provide me with some advice on what to do when i fail my GCSEs. i don't want to live a *****y life like that.
first of all, the fact that you've attempted your GCSE's is an achievement in itself - if you are happy with your grades that's all that matters, don't take other people's viewpoints to heart. with GCSE's even if you cram how much you can a few days before the exam you're bound to do average at least so i could recommend trying that - and i know its difficult taking in long paragraphs so try breaking them down and taking in smaller amounts of information at a time. and try to change your mindset - don't be so determined that you're going to fail (because you aren't)!!!

but there are many non-academic routes to pursue after year 11 - you can look out for apprenticeships for a trade or internships or even foundation years at colleges. if worst comes to worst i would say try your GCSE's again (but i really don't think you should do that). so find apprenticeships near you and see if you qualify, and i assure you you'll find something that suits you. GCSE's are not the end of your social mobility opportunities. good luck with whatever you decide to forward with!!
Original post by michellepeter
first of all, the fact that you've attempted your GCSE's is an achievement in itself - if you are happy with your grades that's all that matters, don't take other people's viewpoints to heart. with GCSE's even if you cram how much you can a few days before the exam you're bound to do average at least so i could recommend trying that - and i know its difficult taking in long paragraphs so try breaking them down and taking in smaller amounts of information at a time. and try to change your mindset - don't be so determined that you're going to fail (because you aren't)!!!

but there are many non-academic routes to pursue after year 11 - you can look out for apprenticeships for a trade or internships or even foundation years at colleges. if worst comes to worst i would say try your GCSE's again (but i really don't think you should do that). so find apprenticeships near you and see if you qualify, and i assure you you'll find something that suits you. GCSE's are not the end of your social mobility opportunities. good luck with whatever you decide to forward with!!

i want to thank you for being so kind and giving me all of this advice. i seriously didn't know about some of these options until you said them. i was always taught that fail gcses = fail pretty much everything. hopefully i'll manage to pass and pursue an academic future & i'm going to try my best not to fail, but if i do, at least i have a backup plan now. there's a lot more options than i thought there were. thanks again.
Original post by emnaaerymanlto
hi all. for pretty much the entirety of my GCSE years i haven't studied. at the start, it was on purpose. i was lazy, and my mindset was "i'll do it later, when the exams are closer". my problem is that recently i've been suffering with memory loss, concentration issues, brain fog & something that stops me from reading? it's really hard to describe. i can't read long paragraphs, i get lost in the words, forget their meanings & once i finish reading, i forgot what i just read. i'm hoping you see the problem here. all revision i do is worthless. i can remember some things from school, pretty much only the basics. i can't even get checked out by a doctor. the waiting times are insane, especially for mental health / neurological issues. it's really saddening to know that the potential is there but i can't access it. being able to read a paragraph would be a huge accomplishment at this point. i have to break them down into small chunks. i'm really scared that i'm going to fail my GCSEs, and i think it's a fact that i'm going to fail. i'm trying to remain hopeful (for some reason?????) but i think my own brain set me up for failure. i applied for a college but i'd need to get 7 GCSEs to even be able to go there. we did some of our GCSEs in year 10, which was a bit weird. i got 2 C's and i was really happy about it. every other grade was lower than a C. i now see that in the real world, this was an awful achievement, and really, it shouldn't even be considered an achievement. i can't wait to be stuck living here working at mcdonalds to try and live a *****y life in a small apartment infested with bugs !!!!!! i love the education system!!!!!!!. it really is just one big memory test. i wish things were done differently. maybe if they based this off of intelligence instead of memory, i'd have a bright future, but for now all i have waiting for me is a depressing 9-5.

can anyone provide me with some advice on what to do when i fail my GCSEs. i don't want to live a *****y life like that.

Something that helps me when I have a brain fog is yoga
Apply for an apprenticeship m80

Quick Reply

Latest