The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Any statistics on the likelihood of being allocated your preferred college?

Hi, I received my offer in February and ranked my preferences last week. I'm from a very poor family, so I'm worried about being allocated to a pricier, catered college; so is there any way I can find out how likely it is I'll be given my first choice? Thank you x
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I received my offer in February and ranked my preferences last week. I'm from a very poor family, so I'm worried about being allocated to a pricier, catered college; so is there any way I can find out how likely it is I'll be given my first choice? Thank you x

Hello, there was a document but I can’t remember where I found it. It showed the number of people applying per college and the percentage likelihood of getting each college. Apart from Castle, St Chad’s (2k ish and 45%) most colleges had good rates (Collingwood 67% from memory). For example Van Mildert was 95%. However, one caveat is that people seemed to get their choices (some top 3, some top 8) but then still got reallocated in September which makes that document moot! If you’re looking for self-catering - rank all of the self-catering colleges first and hopefully you’ll get one of those 😊🤞.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by MissPeaD
Hello, there was a document but I can’t remember where I found it. It showed the number of people applying per college and the percentage likelihood of getting each college. Apart from Castle, St Chad’s (2k ish and 45%) most colleges had good rates (Collingwood 67% from memory). For example Van Mildert was 95%. However, one caveat is that people seemed to get their choices (some top 3, some top 8) but then still got reallocated in September which makes that document moot! If you’re looking for self-catering - rank all of the self-catering colleges first and hopefully you’ll get one of those 😊🤞.

Was this the document you were speaking of?
https://www.durham.ac.uk/colleges-and-student-experience/colleges/your-college---undergraduate/college-allocation-statistics---undergraduate/
Yes - that's the one (I think I found the one for 2019) but good to see that the percentages are similar! Well done for finding it for the OP as it shows the stats :smile:.
(edited 1 year ago)

Thank you! Glad to see my preferred has a high number. Puts my mind at ease a bit.
Original post by MissPeaD

Submit Reply
Thank you! I have one more question if you don't mind; iirc I'll receive a provisional allocation? Do you know how long (approx) it will be until I get that?
Original post by Anonymous
Submit Reply
Thank you! I have one more question if you don't mind; iirc I'll receive a provisional allocation? Do you know how long (approx) it will be until I get that?

They start allocating colleges tomorrow! Not sure how long afterwards applicants will find out - probably takes a few days to send emails out I”d imagine. Keep your eyes peeled on the Durham chat board - as last year think people started to post as soon as they knew! Good luck 🤞.

Quick Reply

Latest