The Student Room Group

what should i do

Hi guys, I’m 23 and did my gcses, alevels and then went to university at 18. The typical route basically. However I ended up dropping out of university in my final year (dumb i know) because i didn’t like the course and hated the university even more. After that i just worked at tesco for a while and now I feel like my life is just stagnant. I have some ideas of what I want to do in my life but I don’t know how to work towards it. Is it worth going university again? I’m torn with what to do with my life. I don’t want to spend the rest of my life working in tesco!!! HELP
Reply 1
Hi there. The fact that you are looking at options is great. You stand a good chance of achieving what you want if you have a positive attitude. University isn't for everyone - there are other options that you can look into if you don't want to do University again. What career are you looking at? What would your ideal job be? Once you know that, then you can start exploring options on how to get there. Good luck mate - and remember, you're never too old to achieve your dreams.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi guys, I’m 23 and did my gcses, alevels and then went to university at 18. The typical route basically. However I ended up dropping out of university in my final year (dumb i know) because i didn’t like the course and hated the university even more. After that i just worked at tesco for a while and now I feel like my life is just stagnant. I have some ideas of what I want to do in my life but I don’t know how to work towards it. Is it worth going university again? I’m torn with what to do with my life. I don’t want to spend the rest of my life working in tesco!!! HELP

Hi,
You have made the first step by deciding that you want to do something and this is a significant one. There are lots of opportunities out there and so I encourage you to take the time to explore them and research properly. That way you will hopefully find something that you want to do.
There are some different quizzes online that you can do related to jobs/uni courses and your personality and sometimes these can be a good starting point to help rule some things in and out.
If you think you might be interested in university the first point of call is uni prospectuses and/or the course pages on university website. There may also be opportunities to join some courses from year 2 depending on your qualifications and your initial degree.

Good luck with your next step and hope you find something you are passionate to do - Catherine (University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador)
Reply 3
As the others have said, it's great that you're looking for options. There's always going to be things you can do, so just keep at it. If you don't want to go back to university, you could always consider apprenticeships, for example Level 3/4 apprenticeships get you a job, money and generally a permanent place, but they also get you experience in that sector. You don't generally need much experience to apply, so long as you can show your passion for a subject: certain ones include computing, customer service, actuary, accounting, digital or business. You can always browse around to see if there's any that interest you, many big companies offer them like Sky, Capgemini, Virgin, KPMG, BAE Systems, the BBC, etc. You can also find smaller local opportunities in the gov tool here. Maybe something to consider, as that could get you a boost into a sector you like?

It's always good to look at options and prospectuses even if you don't want to go into uni, as they can tell you what you can do and careers after, etc. Could also be worth volunteering to see if you like something, or doing some work experience, etc?

I hope this helped, just one of the numerous options out there, you got this. Best of luck with whatever you do :biggrin:
Original post by Anonymous

Hey!
I can totally understand how you feel. It can be really tough to figure out what you want to do with your life, especially if you feel like you're stuck in a dead-end job.

First of all, I want to say that dropping out of university isn't the end of the world, and it doesn't mean you can't go back and finish your degree if that's something you want to do. However, going back to university is a big decision and it's important to make sure you choose a course and a university that's a good fit for you.

If you have some ideas of what you want to do in your life, that's a great start! I would suggest doing some research on different careers and industries that interest you, and see what kind of education and experience is required for those jobs. That might give you a better idea of whether going back to university is the right choice for you.

Another thing to consider is whether there are any alternative routes into your desired career path. For example, some industries offer apprenticeships or on-the-job training that could help you gain the skills and experience you need without going back to university.

Ultimately, the most important thing is to take some action and start working towards your goals. Whether that means going back to university, taking a course or training program, or just networking and gaining experience in your desired field, the key is to keep moving forward and making progress.

I hope that helps, and remember, it's never too late to make a change and pursue your dreams!

Best Wishes
Priya :smile:
Postgraduate Ambassador
University of Southampton

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending