The Student Room Group
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website

Day in the life of a Third Year Student Nurse at DMU

Day in the life of a Third Year Student Nurse at De Montfort University!

I can only start by saying my life changes massively depending on whether I am on placement, or, on the University campus itself. As a student at DMU, for nursing we go out on placement blocks to attain placement hours and clinical skills - a requirement of a nursing degree is we must obtain 2,300 clinical hours!! :eek:

Obtaining clinical skills and experience goes on to support my development and final goal of becoming a registered nurse. At DMU nurses go on 7 placements, each building on different areas of nursing, each requiring slightly different skills to shape our knowledge. Whilst on placement I do a three-day week. The rest is free-time to work through assignments, go for walks, catch up with friends and much more.:smile:

Currently I am on a surgical assessment unit on annual leave which I am using to complete my final assignment as a DMU nursing student. When I return after annual leave I have three weeks remaining as a student here at DMU and that feels extremely scary although exciting! I am really looking forward to being a registered nurse where I'll get to support my own students out on their placements.:h:

Placement is 12 half hour shifts, so I start my day around 6am, I get ready for placement, pack my lunch, and drive to placement which is a 20-minute drive.:auto: Once I get on the ward we receive handovers, learn about my case of patients and the tasks required, so we can support with any personal care and medications. Then the doctors come onto the ward and we learn what plans the doctors wish to implement or adjust and if patients are being discharged home. By this time it's my first break - I always try to remain healthy while out on placement but it's important to get in enough food to keep my energy up because we cover a lot of steps during a shift :cake::candycane:After break it's time for patients' medications, supporting patients attending scans, and this is also where you can get opportunities to watch procedures. Small tip: always ask! Most of the time they're happy to support your learning when you’re a student. Use this time to experience as many different things as possible. After this I tend to ensure all documentation is up-to-date and look to see if any patients that are going home require anything including medications or a doctor's letter - it's our job to communicate with everyone what is required to create a safe discharge. Then time for my second break and once I return this is when time flies! Patients have their evening meal, we give their medications, discharge patients, finishing as many tasks as possible including admissions, then the tasks we don’t manage to complete we hand over to the night team. I’ve learned that care is a 24-hour process and not to worry about handing things over! When we give handover to the night team, we update them on the patients, anything out standing, and wish them a good shift. Then we go home!:vroam:

When I get home, it is usually half past 8 in the evening so I get something to eat, have a wash, get changed, walk the dog and then I settle down to relax in my free-time. Depending on if I am on shift the next day depends on if I need to make lunch, organise my uniform, and get into bed early.

When I am on campus::smartass:
If I am on campus my day is slightly different. When we are on campus we attend 5 days a week depending on our timetable.:smile: If I am on campus I wake up around 7:30 to 8am depending on my classes. I get ready and organise all the books I require for the day. Some people choose to use laptops however I prefer making paper notes.:auto: I drive to campus which is about 20 mins away and when I arrive on campus around 9am I meet my friends in the food village where DMU has been providing amazing free breakfasts - including beans on toast and apple juice which is the perfect way to start the day!:tongue: Then it's on to classes:tsr:. The classes can include clinical practice sessions, lectures, and seminars which provide a wide range of learning opportunities. My friends and I get lunch together, mixing between the Food Village, Soar Point, and other places in Leicester:pepsi:. The beauty about DMU's campus is we are so close to everything. If we have any free time, we mix it up between attending the library to get some assignment done or revising for maths and other exams:deal:. We also pop into town to spend time together, get our nails done, play crazy golf, and do some shopping. I tend to get home around 5pm when on campus and this allows time to perfect any notes from class or add to assignments before getting dinner and walking the dog:fleurdelis:. Both areas of University are really enjoyable and provide amazing learning opportunities. The days, either on campus or on placement, are pretty packed but it's all worth it to become a registered nurse at the end!

Emily :rose:
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by De Montfort University
Day in the life of a Third Year Student Nurse at De Montfort University!

I can only start by saying my life changes massively depending on whether I am on placement, or, on the University campus itself. As a student at DMU, for nursing we go out on placement blocks to attain placement hours and clinical skills - a requirement of a nursing degree is we must obtain 2,300 clinical hours!! :eek:

Obtaining clinical skills and experience goes on to support my development and final goal of becoming a registered nurse. At DMU nurses go on 7 placements, each building on different areas of nursing, each requiring slightly different skills to shape our knowledge. Whilst on placement I do a three-day week. The rest is free-time to work through assignments, go for walks, catch up with friends and much more.:smile:

Currently I am on a surgical assessment unit on annual leave which I am using to complete my final assignment as a DMU nursing student. When I return after annual leave I have three weeks remaining as a student here at DMU and that feels extremely scary although exciting! I am really looking forward to being a registered nurse where I'll get to support my own students out on their placements.:h:

Placement is 12 half hour shifts, so I start my day around 6am, I get ready for placement, pack my lunch, and drive to placement which is a 20-minute drive.:auto: Once I get on the ward we receive handovers, learn about my case of patients and the tasks required, so we can support with any personal care and medications. Then the doctors come onto the ward and we learn what plans the doctors wish to implement or adjust and if patients are being discharged home. By this time it's my first break - I always try to remain healthy while out on placement but it's important to get in enough food to keep my energy up because we cover a lot of steps during a shift :cake::candycane:After break it's time for patients' medications, supporting patients attending scans, and this is also where you can get opportunities to watch procedures. Small tip: always ask! Most of the time they're happy to support your learning when you’re a student. Use this time to experience as many different things as possible. After this I tend to ensure all documentation is up-to-date and look to see if any patients that are going home require anything including medications or a doctor's letter - it's our job to communicate with everyone what is required to create a safe discharge. Then time for my second break and once I return this is when time flies! Patients have their evening meal, we give their medications, discharge patients, finishing as many tasks as possible including admissions, then the tasks we don’t manage to complete we hand over to the night team. I’ve learned that care is a 24-hour process and not to worry about handing things over! When we give handover to the night team, we update them on the patients, anything out standing, and wish them a good shift. Then we go home!:vroam:

When I get home, it is usually half past 8 in the evening so I get something to eat, have a wash, get changed, walk the dog and then I settle down to relax in my free-time. Depending on if I am on shift the next day depends on if I need to make lunch, organise my uniform, and get into bed early.

When I am on campus::smartass:
If I am on campus my day is slightly different. When we are on campus we attend 5 days a week depending on our timetable.:smile: If I am on campus I wake up around 7:30 to 8am depending on my classes. I get ready and organise all the books I require for the day. Some people choose to use laptops however I prefer making paper notes.:auto: I drive to campus which is about 20 mins away and when I arrive on campus around 9am I meet my friends in the food village where DMU has been providing amazing free breakfasts - including beans on toast and apple juice which is the perfect way to start the day!:tongue: Then it's on to classes:tsr:. The classes can include clinical practice sessions, lectures, and seminars which provide a wide range of learning opportunities. My friends and I get lunch together, mixing between the Food Village, Soar Point, and other places in Leicester:pepsi:. The beauty about DMU's campus is we are so close to everything. If we have any free time, we mix it up between attending the library to get some assignment done or revising for maths and other exams:deal:. We also pop into town to spend time together, get our nails done, play crazy golf, and do some shopping. I tend to get home around 5pm when on campus and this allows time to perfect any notes from class or add to assignments before getting dinner and walking the dog:fleurdelis:. Both areas of University are really enjoyable and provide amazing learning opportunities. The days, either on campus or on placement, are pretty packed but it's all worth it to become a registered nurse at the end!

Emily :rose:

Wow that's so cool, I can tell you have to do a lot. I'm planning to start child nursing at dmu in the next few weeks so this has been helpful to read. Do you mind providing me with some tips for an upcoming 1st year student? 😊
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website
Original post by ganiyatxox
Wow that's so cool, I can tell you have to do a lot. I'm planning to start child nursing at dmu in the next few weeks so this has been helpful to read. Do you mind providing me with some tips for an upcoming 1st year student? 😊

Hi there @ganiyatxox - sorry it's taken us a while to respond to you!:colondollar: We hope you're well and it's great to hear that you have joined us as a 1st Year Student on our Child Nursing programme!

How have your first few weeks at DMU been? Hopefully you are finding it engaging and, as Emily found, using the 24/7 Library or space in Hawthorn building to catch up with course mates and discuss the programme. Perhaps with a coffee, or two! :tee:

Passing on a tip, on behalf of Emily - as she is now a fully qualified nurse and ready to start full time nursing (!):nurse:, our best advice is to get your notes in order (I find colour coding is the best method for me):nyan:
Everyone is different so finding the best environment and conditions, to ensure productive studying, is a bit of a trial and error before you find the perfect fit:smartass:

Any questions, or if you are unsure of where to go for a bit of support, then please do ask away! We're here to help:u:
All the best and welcome:elefant:

- Rose:rose:, De Montfort University Rep.
(edited 6 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending