The Student Room Group

Changing sixth forms

Is it possible to change sixth form in your second your? The reason I'm asking is because I'm currently in my 1st year at sixth form but I just feel like it isn't the place for me. I don't get bullied or anything but it doesn't feel right. I don't wake up feeling good about going in. In fact I dread going in. I know so many people that go to my sixth form and I'm saying this in a non-evil way (if that's even possible) but I feel like I need to get away from everyone I know. I feel like eveyone's just crowding me and I don't know why. Euurrgh! I never used to feel like this at school. I need help!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
imthe_RIOT
Is it possible to change sixth form in your second your? The reason I'm asking is because I'm currently in my 1st year at sixth form but I just feel like it isn't the place for me. I don't get bullied or anything but it doesn't feel right. I don't wake up feeling good about going in. In fact I dread going in. I know so many people that go to my sixth form and I'm saying this in a non-evil way (if that's even possible) but I feel like I need to get away from everyone I know. I feel like eveyone's just crowding me and I don't know why. Euurrgh! I never used to feel like this at school. I need help!

Someone in my tutor group was asking this question on behalf of a friend quite recently.
My tutor said that [for someone wishing to transfer to our sixthform, anyway] it would depend on the AS results and if the exam boards for the subjects were the same. If you wish to move to somewhere which uses different exam boards for your subjects then you may have to start the school as a first year, basically starting afresh.
While of course this was specific to my sixth form, I would assume that it would be the same for most places. Call the sixth form to which you hope to move to make sure. =]
Reply 2
Yes, but because of how differently 6th forms tend to work, you might find you can't study all of the subjects you did at AS-Level, at A2-Level in the new 6th form. This is mainly due to what different 6th forms offer to their students, their timetabling system, availability of teachers, demand for the courses and so forth. If you're set on changing, then phone around the 6th forms you're looking at beforehand, just asking if you'll be able to continue study with minimal disruption.

My advice would probably be to try and fit in with your current 6th form. For the hassle and the fuss it's likely to be changing, the awkwardness ofsubject choices etc, I'd probably be more leaning towards trying to find out exactly why you don't feel right in your current 6th form, and fixing it.
Reply 3
You will need to contact the sixth form you wish to switch to.

My college does not allow second years to transfer to the college if their exam boards for AS were different, unless it is for maths.
You'll need to be sure that the new college offers the same subjects on the same exam boards. If they don't, then you might have to look into going to a private college, who normally cater for all exam boards.
Reply 5
Original post by imthe_RIOT

Just out of interest, is your sixth form one which you stayed on from secondary school or is it a new one?
I've been in the same situation, so I contacted the sixth form I was interested in moving to. After a lot of emails and phone calls and meetings.. They decided a transfer for A2 was possible conditional on my AS Results and that each exam board agrees to transfer over my UMS marks (every single exam board was different). So yes it is perfectly possible so long as the exam boards agree with it.

Although the sixth form did originally try to convince me to restart at AS with new subjects.
Original post by imthe_RIOT

Hey did you change sixth forms? I know this thread is old but I really want to change colleges
Just ignore everyone and just do your work and you will be fine. If your emo of course.
Reply 9
The problem with changing sixth form/colleges is the fact that each school may be running on different exam boards for different exams so you might struggle in some areas.
Is it possible to change Sixth forms in the first few weeks if you don't like it? Im going to a new Sixth form college, but if I dont like it I want to move to back to my school.
Reply 11
Original post by DSummerson97
Is it possible to change Sixth forms in the first few weeks if you don't like it? Im going to a new Sixth form college, but if I dont like it I want to move to back to my school.

Yes it is possible, but it would be better to move back within the first few days because some schools go straight into work and you don't want to be behind on the work!!
Reply 12
Does anybody know if i can change college after only 1 month??
Reply 13
Original post by petrrr
Does anybody know if i can change college after only 1 month??

It should be okay, but it might be hard work because college/sixth form may do different exam boards. I would check with the schools first though.
Hi guys. Sorry to revive an old thread but I'm in a similar situation.

My AS results were C, D, E, U in Psychology, Religious Studies, English Literature and Geology respectively.
I am currently predicted C (Psychology), C (Eng Lit) and D (RS) for A2. I am about to finish A2, but have applied to a different sixth form college.
I want to redo my A2 Psychology and RS next year as a year 14 as they are the same exam board but Eng Lit are different so I would "bank" my grade in that. I also want to pick up a completely different AS so the exam board isn't a problem.

Am I allowed to do this and would results from my current sixth form 'transfer' to the new one?
I know this is a really old thread but I wanted to say this, just incase someone comes across it like I did -

I don't think you have to be on the same exam board to change colleges, I started looking at new colleges to transfer to last month because I absolutely hate the one I am at the moment and I literally just do not go in because I hate it so much (this means I am probably going to get kicked out anyway). Anyway, the point I am trying to say is that when I went to look round new colleges and they told me they can just transfer the UMS marks to their exam board to predict what result I would have got if I had been on the exam board.. if you get me?! ahahaha

Also, if you hate your college as much as I do, I would say move. You have plenty of time to complete your A Levels, so if worse comes to worse, you can just start again somewhere knew. Even if that sounds ****, you will be so much happier which means you wont mind as much. Furthermore, you shouldn't force yourself to go to a place you absolutely despise everyday just because its "easier", it's just a bit inhumane and unfair on yourself.
Original post by susimorri
I know this is a really old thread but I wanted to say this, just incase someone comes across it like I did -

I don't think you have to be on the same exam board to change colleges, I started looking at new colleges to transfer to last month because I absolutely hate the one I am at the moment and I literally just do not go in because I hate it so much (this means I am probably going to get kicked out anyway). Anyway, the point I am trying to say is that when I went to look round new colleges and they told me they can just transfer the UMS marks to their exam board to predict what result I would have got if I had been on the exam board.. if you get me?! ahahaha

Also, if you hate your college as much as I do, I would say move. You have plenty of time to complete your A Levels, so if worse comes to worse, you can just start again somewhere knew. Even if that sounds ****, you will be so much happier which means you wont mind as much. Furthermore, you shouldn't force yourself to go to a place you absolutely despise everyday just because its "easier", it's just a bit inhumane and unfair on yourself.

Im so happy im not the only one because i hate my college to it has been a horrible year, the place is horrible i tried to change courses and i have really good gcses but they said no this was at the beginning of the year :frown: i have to speak to my teachers because my attendance is so low omg and they said they want to kick me out but im so unhappy im moving to a school anyway but ive been so unhappy and have to endure this silly meeting so i dont get kicked out so it doesn't go on my personal record but does it because they gave me a new uci exam number and the school (old )said i keep the same one forever even the one im moving to said that so idk
Original post by sophiamarni
Im so happy im not the only one because i hate my college to it has been a horrible year, the place is horrible i tried to change courses and i have really good gcses but they said no this was at the beginning of the year :frown: i have to speak to my teachers because my attendance is so low omg and they said they want to kick me out but im so unhappy im moving to a school anyway but ive been so unhappy and have to endure this silly meeting so i dont get kicked out so it doesn't go on my personal record but does it because they gave me a new uci exam number and the school (old )said i keep the same one forever even the one im moving to said that so idk

I feel so much better knowing you are in the same position as me - I honestly felt like the only one that hated college so much and felt everyone else loved it! If you are moving schools anyway, why don't you ask to leave before they can kick you out? I am not entirely sure what a UCI number is, so I cant help you with that because I haven't even asked about it myself!

I hope everything works out for you in the end! xxxxxx
Original post by vidachick
I really want to change college :bawling:. You've got to stick it out tbh if you've already started as at this point you might have to start again. I'm dreading going into college tomorrow because I might bump into my ex-boyfriend. Your problems aren't as bad as mine so bite the bullet and time will go quickly.

I don't think seeing your ex-boyfriend is really a reason to dread college. There are people in the world that literally get bullied daily, can't understand the work, have no friends and spend all day alone. I would do anything for the reason I hate college to be that I "see my ex-boyfriend"
i'm doing the complete opposite. i've decided to change from sixth form to a college. luckily, the exam boards are all the same so there won't be any difficulties. however, part of me is still a bit worried but i don't think it can be worse than my sixth form. i despise the place soooo much. i couldn't live with myself if i decided to stay another year

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending