Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Welcome to Lancaster University!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Hi,
I am biochemistry student first year. Does anyone know how to revise? Because during my A levels I revised by doing questions and exam papers and also a bit reading, but now it’s been a week and I still don’t know how to revise as we don’t get questions

Daughter she does physics and she makes notes on her lectures and also equations. During the revision period she would take those notes and condense them onto a revision card and stick them on her wardrobe so they was always there in front of her. She also had problem sheets she had to do each week, so she went through those as well. When you have your meeting with your supervisor, its worth mentioning and perhaps you can come up together with a revision style that suits you and your course.
(edited 6 months ago)
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Hi,
I am biochemistry student first year. Does anyone know how to revise? Because during my A levels I revised by doing questions and exam papers and also a bit reading, but now it’s been a week and I still don’t know how to revise as we don’t get questions

Hi Anon,
Usually when i'm revising I first read through my lecture notes, to remind me of the key concepts, and sometimes condense these notes to get the really key concepts/ideas from the lecture. If there's any parts of the lecture i'm confused over, i'll usually watch the panopto recording for this section of the lecture again. Then I look at the readings from the lecture and do any extra reading if required, and make notes on these (if your exams are online/open book, these can save you lots of time in the exam). If you do any practical's, it might be worth refreshing these too, as the questions might be related to them. Finally, if the department has released any part exam papers i'll bullet point my answer to these. Closer to exam season, it might be worth asking your department if they have any past papers.
Hope this helps!
-Jasmine (Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Original post by ChiefBrody
checking term dates for 2023 24 it shows final term end date of Friday 28 June - would things really end that late?

I assume May June is all exams? I also assume the exam dates might be known?

Reason for asking is we have a family event in June 2024, right now we have some flexibility in dates but it needs booking asap

Hello!

Exam dates can differ for different courses, but they are likely to be in June. The date of the last exam will also depend on how many exams your course will have. The university also have events on the last week of term known as Extravs held for each college, hence the last day of term is Friday 28th June. But of course you are welcome to go home after your exams finish. However, exam timetables don't come out until a few months before they begin.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask anymore questions you may have,
Lucy (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)
Original post by Orca500
Hiya 😃

I’m very excited to be joining Lancaster this year as I loved the university when I was applying. I was just looking for some advice really on pathway options. I’ve been accepted to study natural science with a year abroad and I’ve got to choose my pathways asap. I’ve already decided on doing a biology pathway but then I’m debating between a few options. I can do a double pathway of psychology (which contains all of the stats and research mdoules but less flexible) or a single psychology pathway (more flexible but doesn’t have the stats and research modules)… if I choose the single psychology pathway, then my other pathway, I’m debating between economics and ppr… any advice would be extremely appreciated.

Thank you,
Melody

Hi @Orca500,

Sorry this message flew under our radar! I hope you're enjoying being at Lancaster so far!

In terms of pathways, I think really it depends what you want to go into after graduation. If you want to go into something quite psychology-related, then double pathway psychology could be worthwhile, as studying the stats and research methods modules are what gets your degree accredited by the BPS (British Psychological Society) at the end of it all. A BPS-accredited degree is needed for applying to most psychology-related postgrad courses and is generally considered more favourably among employers if you're looking for a job in that area.

This isn't to convince you to go with that option, though! Just my area of expertise as a psychology student - if you're interested in that it could be something to consider, but if it's not so much, then it's likely you won't need to study the stats and methods modules unless you're really interested and inclined towards that! And believe it or not, the stats can actually be quite fun once you get into it. :smile:

Hope this helps somewhat!

Millie
Lancaster Student Ambassador, Third Year Psychology BSc
slightly random question, is there a good sledging hill on or near Lancaster Uni?
slightly random question, is there a good sledging hill on or near Lancaster Uni?

Haha :biggrin: I have seen people sledging from the hill near Bowland Avenue down towards the gym. Theres also another hill which is down towards Lake carter from the area the back of county townhouses. Williamson park hill is pretty steep.
Has anyone received information about the lancaster bursary?
Has anyone received information about the lancaster bursary?

Hi Anon,
Usually you will be sent an email by the university in October, have you checked you spam/junk inbox? The email should be from [email protected].
If you cant find an email, it might be because they haven't sent it out yet, so it might be worth waiting to the end of the month and if you have not heard anything, send a message to [email protected] as they should be able to help give you some more information on the bursary.
Hope this helps,
-Jasmine (Lancaster student ambassador)

Hi Anon,
On campus there's a good hill, between the Architecture building an the rugby field near Health and innovation campus. In town, Williamson parks got some good hills, and is a good viewpoint to look over snowy Lancaster (hoping we get some snow this year!).
-Jasmine (Lancaster student ambassador)
Reply 229
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hey everyone,

A MASSIVE WELL DONE FOR GETTING INTO LANCASTER UNIVERSITY! I am Shaheer - one of the 3rd year medical students. I have been involved with SO many societies including squash, cricket and investing! Feel free to ask us ANY questions, we will be happy to help 😊.

Hy
is there any assignment are quiz due?
Original post by xak123
Hy
is there any assignment are quiz due?

Hi @xak123,
Sometimes you might get set an assignment in the form of a quiz, they work a bit similar to coursework in the sense that they have a deadline they have to be completed by, which you can see on moodle. But you can do them at any point up to the deadline, and they usually have a time limit, which it will say on moodle.
Hope this helps!
-Jasmine (Lancaster Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending