The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Welcome to Lancaster University!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I'm having trouble accessing my account to book preferences for accommodation but for now could someone let me know what the contract weeks are for campus accommodation please? I'm considering catered but it just shows £238 per week and doesn't show the length of contract, I thought perhaps 31 weeks but some clarification would be useful.

Most of our accommodation contracts are for 40 weeks, but we do have some 39 week areas which finish a week earlier than the rest.

The catering is term time only plus welcome week, so is available for 31 weeks but the catered part of the rent is is spread across the full contract term so is the same weekly rate for the whole contract.

-Kao (Lancaster Maths & Stats Student Ambassador)
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Original post by Pandora53
Dear Kao - Which accommodation types do you think will already have been filled? My daugther got in through Clearing. She likes the look of the townhouses, but if they are likely to be already gone, she doesn't necessarily want to choose a college with lots of townhouses.

Hello, students coming via Clearing will be able to apply for any college and room type as we have availability in most at the moment. We are unable to guarantee any preferences for students, but will take them into consideration when allocating.

Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hello!

My name is Kao and I am studying Computer Science and Mathematics in Cartmel College. Let us know if you have questions about any aspect of the university!

Is there a groupchat for the software engineering/comp sci students?
Hi! I am going to be doing Biomed at Lancaster and I am so excited. This may be an unusual question but, can you attend lectures that are not in your course and is completely different to the course you are doing? I'm asking because I really enjoy studying history, in my spare time, and would love to listen on some good old history.
Original post by vful
Hi, I was wondering if the LU bike hire is worth paying for. Also, when would riding a bike be useful for traveling about the campus and city?

The bike hire may be useful if you want a bike but don't want to bring it between your house and university, or want a bike temporarily. The university also run The Big Bike Sale. A bike would definitely be useful for travelling about the campus and the city. The alternative is a 68 minute walk, or a 12 minute bus ride which costs £2.40 single or £3.40 return (and discounts for regular travellers which are mostly useless if you live on campus).

(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by oHnELLyiTsMel
Hi! I am going to be doing Biomed at Lancaster and I am so excited. This may be an unusual question but, can you attend lectures that are not in your course and is completely different to the course you are doing? I'm asking because I really enjoy studying history, in my spare time, and would love to listen on some good old history.

Hey @oHnELLyiTsMel!

It's great that you are planning to pursue other interests outside of your course- the university heavily encourages this. I'm not sure if there are any rules against it but generally, the lecturers are happy to teach whoever turns up, and in my experience, its never been a problem when students from other subjects have attended our lectures.

You might also enjoy the living history society, which does historical reenactments and could be an opportunity to meet students who study history, so you can ask them which lectures might be most interesting for you to go to. You can find them on instagram @lulivinghistorysociety or at freshers fair.

Hope this helps!

Nellie (Lancaster Student Ambassador)

As an academic (not at Lancaster, so things may be different there. Here because my daughter starts here this year) lectures would probably be fine with me depending on programme size. The lecture theatres are usually booked to match class size. So at the start of term there might not be much room for extra attendees, but that changes fairly quickly (esp for morning lectures) once the semester gets going.

You would almost certainly need to find a student on the course of interest to see the timetable for subject and location - unless Lancaster allows students to see room bookings. The student could also show you the module handbook with reading list etc, which might be of interest. If you attend the first lecture they may hand out module handbooks - be aware we usually print just enough for everyone so there wont necessarily be any spares. Alternatively there will be an electronic version of the module handbook on Blackboard (or whatever it is Lancaster uses) that you might be able to see without needing a paper copy.

Your other challenge will be finding lectures of interest, because there will likely be multiple programmes and definitely multiple years being taught and individual students will only see their bits.

Having said all that, lectures are really about sharing curated content and can be a bit dull. The seminars and tutorials are where the really interesting stuff happens. I wouldn't be okay with random students turning up here. It's where we delve deeper in to the subjects, we get to know each other, we discuss the assignments in more detail.
Original post by harveymulroney
Is there a groupchat for the software engineering/comp sci students?

Hey @harveymulroney
Congrats on starting uni soon!!

You can try to follow the lucompsci society and from there follow links to discord servers or text people from the account :smile:
This will also give you some idea on what kind of events are held by the society, etc

Hope this helps :smile:
Vyomika(LU Student Ambassador)
Hi, I was just wondering if there are any group chats for those studying economics? Or even just a group chat with new students ?
Hi, I was just wondering if there are any group chats for those studying economics? Or even just a group chat with new students ?

Hi! You can keep an eye out for group chat links on instagram @lueconomicssociety which are specific to economics freshers. There should also be a facebook page for your college, which I found very useful in the summer before I started uni- they should be posting their Freshers timetable soon. Hope this helps!

Nellie (Lancaster Student Ambassador)

Yh, I'd be interested too. Doing economics aswell. What college have you chosen and have you been allocated one yet?

Hi,

My name is Emmanuel and I've just graduated from Lancaster University with a Joint Honours degree in History & Politics. The short answer to your question is yes! Actually, one of my good friends just graduated with a degree in Politics & Philosophy and restarted her studies by switching from doing a STEM degree and sitting in on lectures was a big reason why she made that decision. Given you tend to have greater time to explore your horizons in your first year, if you have the passion, I'd definitely recommend.
Reply 52
Hello!

I'm Mitko, I'm going to start Business Management this fall, and living in Cartmel College.

I am looking for a group for Business students for this academic year. If anyone knows anything, please let me know.
Original post by mitacheto
Hello!

I'm Mitko, I'm going to start Business Management this fall, and living in Cartmel College.

I am looking for a group for Business students for this academic year. If anyone knows anything, please let me know.

Hi,
I'd start by looking at the Instagram and Facebook accounts for Lancaster university management school and for your business course as they may post links to discord/Facebook chats. Your college should also have a Facebook group for incoming Freshers and you could ask on there about other business management students.
Hope this helps,
Becky (Lancaster university student ambassador)
(edited 8 months ago)
I know I posted a question before but I have another one haha. When can I apply for a parking permit?
What are the study abroad options for the 3rd year in the mathematics (study abroad) course?
Original post by fsaunders14
What are the study abroad options for the 3rd year in the mathematics (study abroad) course?

Hi,
On this course you can study abroad in Canada or the USA, New Zealand or Australia. The exact universities will vary year on year as the modules have to line up with those taught in Lancaster. However this year some of my friends are going to British Colombia, Alberta and Iowa.
Hope this helps,
Becky (Lancaster university student ambassador)
I know I posted a question before but I have another one haha. When can I apply for a parking permit?

Hello,

I'm not entirely sure when you can apply, I would contact the university email or the car parking people for that via [email protected]
It'll usually cost £160 per annum, but may vary depending on which part of campus you use with you car. Annual permits will expire 30th September 2024.

Here is a link to the different policies on parking, fines, fees etc that take effect 1st October.. It might be worth checking out!
https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/sustainability/action/travel/parking/policy-and-enforcement/#

I have some other useful sites linked down below.

https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/sustainability/action/travel/parking/#
https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/sustainability/action/travel/parking/student-parking/#

Hope this helps,
Dom
Reply 58
Have you found one yet
Original post by meddapplicant
is there a freshers groupchat/offer holders groupchat that i can join.
is there a second-hand book fair near start of term - or place folks go once they get their reading list in Freshers Week?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending