Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Welcome to Lancaster University!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lancaster University
TSR Transition header.jpg

Welcome to Lancaster University!

This thread is a place for our new students preparing to join us in autumn 2023. It is a place for you to ask questions about joining us, and for you to begin to connect with other students on their way to Lancaster.

The best place to start when you are looking at what to do to prepare for coming here is our website.

But if you can't find what you looking for, ask your question in here and one of our student ambassadors will be able to answer you.

We can't wait to meet you and welcome onto Campus in just a few short weeks time!

i’m starting in 2023 and just wondered about group chats for flats/colleges/course? i’m doing business studies and i’m in grizedale 12 share
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
When are we supposed to know our block number for accommodation please?
Original post by Anonymous
i’m starting in 2023 and just wondered about group chats for flats/colleges/course? i’m doing business studies and i’m in grizedale 12 share

Hey!

You can follow the instagram accounts for each college and course and perhaps connect with other students over there.
Another way could be groupchat links on facebook :smile:

Hope this helps!
Vyomika(LU Student Ambassador)
Reply 83
Original post by oHnELLyiTsMel
Hi! I am going to be doing Biomed at Lancaster and I am so excited. This may be an unusual question but, can you attend lectures that are not in your course and is completely different to the course you are doing? I'm asking because I really enjoy studying history, in my spare time, and would love to listen on some good old history.

I'm going to be studying Biomed at Lancaster too! What college are you in?
I hope there are some economics students or people doing business related courses at my college ( County) most seem to be in Grizedale/Pendle and the southern colleges. I've been allocated a townhouse mainly because I wanted that homely feel ( with the sofas and patio doors etc..) and wanted to be close to the gym/ climbing wall. I just hope I'm sharing my bathroom with another girl but not that fussy.
Hello!

I will be studying MA in Gender Studies and English this October, and would like to ask some questions on the module selection.

I have received an email from the sociology department, attaching a Module Handbook where we are able to submit our preference for the optional modules. However, the available modules aren't as many as suggested on the department website. I was wondering if we could only select what is in the Handbook. I have taken an interest in some courses that are not listed in the Handbook.

Moreover, since my joint sociology course requires me to select at least 1 English module, I was curious if anyone knows there is a Module Handbook for the English department as well. I haven't gotten one yet.

I would appreciate if anyone answers. Thanks you~

Kevin
(edited 7 months ago)
When do we find out our timetables because I’m thinking about applying for a part time job but don’t know my hours.
Reply 87
Hey, I'll be starting the BSc Computer science course in October and wanted to ask what the timetable is like for year 1?
Reply 88
Hey, i'll be joining the BSc Computer Science course in early October and wanted to ask what the first year timetable is like for the course?
Hello,

I will be joining Lancaster's Engineering course this October and was wondering if there were any group chats. I have seen similar questions being directed towards their courses society, although I couldn't find any word on it through the engineering Instagram page. Are links delayed until clearing is completed?
Original post by Lancatudent
When do we find out our timetables because I’m thinking about applying for a part time job but don’t know my hours.

I noticed a thread asking about timetable release last year and it appeared that provisional timetables are available to view in your student portal around 2 weeks into September ( I think it was the 13th last year).
Original post by Lancatudent

Hi!

Your timetable should begin to be populated following online registration and module enrolment (and not before Tuesday 19 September). However, these will be provisional and you may not have the final timetable until welcome week.

Hope this helps!
Florence (Lancaster University student ambassador)
Hello,

I will be joining Lancaster's Engineering course this October and was wondering if there were any group chats. I have seen similar questions being directed towards their courses society, although I couldn't find any word on it through the engineering Instagram page. Are links delayed until clearing is completed?

Hi!

Congratulations on your place! If you can't find anything on their Instagram I would suggest joining a Lancaster 2023-24 Freshers Group on Facebook. If you put a message on there asking about group chats for engineering there will probably be someone who will be able to add you to one (if there is one!).

Hope this helps!
Original post by proudsmiler1123
Hello!

I will be studying MA in Gender Studies and English this October, and would like to ask some questions on the module selection.

I have received an email from the sociology department, attaching a Module Handbook where we are able to submit our preference for the optional modules. However, the available modules aren't as many as suggested on the department website. I was wondering if we could only select what is in the Handbook. I have taken an interest in some courses that are not listed in the Handbook.

Moreover, since my joint sociology course requires me to select at least 1 English module, I was curious if anyone knows there is a Module Handbook for the English department as well. I haven't gotten one yet.

I would appreciate if anyone answers. Thanks you~

Kevin

Hi!

Congratulations on your place! I would suggest getting in touch with the sociology department to confirm what module choices are available, however, I would imagine the ones listed in the handbook are the ones that are available to you. Modules that are on offer can change slightly from year to year which might explain the difference in the handbook compared to the website.

The handbook for English may not yet be available but again if you get in touch with the department they will be able to let you know when/where it will be available.

Hope this helps!
Reply 94
Hiya 😃

I’m very excited to be joining Lancaster this year as I loved the university when I was applying. I was just looking for some advice really on pathway options. I’ve been accepted to study natural science with a year abroad and I’ve got to choose my pathways asap. I’ve already decided on doing a biology pathway but then I’m debating between a few options. I can do a double pathway of psychology (which contains all of the stats and research mdoules but less flexible) or a single psychology pathway (more flexible but doesn’t have the stats and research modules)… if I choose the single psychology pathway, then my other pathway, I’m debating between economics and ppr… any advice would be extremely appreciated.

Thank you,
Melody
When are we supposed to know our block number for accommodation please?

Hi Anon!

You wont know exactly which room/building you are in until you get your keys on move in day.

Rebecca (Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hello!

My name is Kao and I am studying Computer Science and Mathematics in Cartmel College. Let us know if you have questions about any aspect of the university!

Hi. I'm Nana and I'm studying Computer Science at Cartmel. What's the course like? How far away is accommodation from classes? How many lectures and assignments a week or month should I expect?

I don't think there are any official groupchats you can already join this year, but you will encounter groupchats during your first days of university. On the day you move in, you will attend an introduction to your flat and college. Someone will make a groupchat for your flat, and you will later get added to a groupchat for your house. During Welcome Week, you will attend an introductory day for your department. Someone there will probably create a groupchat and share it with you.

-Kao (Lancaster Maths & Stats Student Ambassador)
Original post by adil8907
Hey, I'll be starting the BSc Computer science course in October and wanted to ask what the timetable is like for year 1?

Your first year will be divided into SCC.111, SCC.121, SCC.131, SCC.141, and a minor. SCC.111, SCC.121, and SCC.131 will each have two 50 minute lectures each week. There will also be one 170 minute workshop each week that relates to all three of these modules. SCC.141 will have one 50 minute lecture and one 50 minute practical each week. The minor's timetable will depend on which one you choose. If it is maths, then you will have two 50 minute lectures and one 50 minute workshop each week, but there will also be additional material that you have to learn by yourself.

(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by adil8907
Hey, i'll be joining the BSc Computer Science course in early October and wanted to ask what the first year timetable is like for the course?

Your first year will be divided into SCC.111, SCC.121, SCC.131, SCC.141, and a minor. SCC.111, SCC.121, and SCC.131 will each have two 50 minute lectures each week. There will also be one 170 minute workshop each week that relates to all three of these modules. SCC.141 will have one 50 minute lecture and one 50 minute practical each week. The minor's timetable will depend on which one you choose. If it is maths, then you will have two 50 minute lectures and one 50 minute workshop each week, but there will also be additional material that you have to learn by yourself.

(edited 7 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending