The Student Room Group

Civil Service Fast Stream 2024 - Applicants thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by stephlikesbooks
Thanks for the advice! I think I’m interested in the policy one so I’ll definitely apply for that.

Definitely apply for more than just that one. Based on what we can see here on this thread alone, over 90% of people applied for Policy.
Original post by ThatOldGuy
Submitted and finished my assessments. So far: Better than the majority in maths. Let's see how I did in the other things this time!

Hi there,

It's good to hear that you did well in the maths part of the assessment. Have you since heard back about your results for the other 2 parts?
Original post by Oxocarbon382
Hi there,

It's good to hear that you did well in the maths part of the assessment. Have you since heard back about your results for the other 2 parts?

Not yet. Like you(Probably), I am checking every few hours or so. I did start my assessment within minutes of it unlocking, so I suspect I'll find out relatively early.

My guess is that the tests are slightly different this year, and they don't have a baseline. We'll probably not have an answer for weeks. It'll be pretty unhealthy mentally to check every few hours.

I mean... I'm still going to. I just recognize it's not healthy. :wink:
Has anyone’s online tests unlocked the next stage yet ?
Original post by Sweetcarol9

Not yet. I think it’s unlikely that anything is going to change over the weekend, but I’m sure someone will say if they either get feedback for the non-numerical tests or unlock the WBS.
Reply 45
I just finished the numerical test. It took me a long time to complete, my brain hasn't worked that hard for a loong time.
It says on the website you can select up to 4 schemes? I seem to only have an option for 3,Does anyone know why ?

I'll let you know when I know. I started mine at noon on Thursday, so I should be one of the first!

How'd you do on the maths side?

I'll let you know when I know. I started mine at noon on Thursday, so I should be one of the first!

How'd you do on the maths side?

Did ok thanks 😀
Reply 49
I got an average on the Numerical reasoning test. What are my chances of progressing to the next stage.

I applied for
House of parliament
Diplomatic
Government policy
Finance
Original post by Vithu2010
I got an average on the Numerical reasoning test. What are my chances of progressing to the next stage.

I applied for
House of parliament
Diplomatic
Government policy
Finance

Based on previous years, you might struggle to progress for HoP and Diplomatic, as these are very competitive schemes. If you did well in the other two assessments, you could definitely still progress on the policy and finance schemes, depending on how the rest of the cohort does.

The caveat is that we don’t know for certain how the assessments are weighted this year. The SJQ, for example, might account for more of your overall “score” than the numerical assessment - or vice versa. As such, it is difficult to predict the impact of a particular assessment on your chances.

In any case, you shouldn’t worry too much about getting a result within the average range for the numerical test. Bear in mind that everyone takes the same tests at this stage, so your result was average for a cohort that includes folks with backgrounds in maths/statistics and those applying for schemes requiring a STEM degree.
It says on the website you can select up to 4 schemes? I seem to only have an option for 3,Does anyone know why ?

That is strange. Those of us who applied earlier in the week definitely had the option to apply for four. They seem to have made several changes this year, so the info on the website might not be 100% accurate, but it would be peculiar for them to change any aspect of the application form after the opening date.
Reply 52
I’ve applied for policy, operational delivery, HR and property because I’ve got an English background. However, I’ve got higher than average in the numerical. Is it worth trying to change to digital data (I know they say you can’t but worth a shot?) or should I stick with my current options? I really enjoyed the maths side of the online tests and also thinking about what’s going to increase my chances?
Original post by Ltukk
I’ve applied for policy, operational delivery, HR and property because I’ve got an English background. However, I’ve got higher than average in the numerical. Is it worth trying to change to digital data (I know they say you can’t but worth a shot?) or should I stick with my current options? I really enjoyed the maths side of the online tests and also thinking about what’s going to increase my chances?

Well done on the great result!

As you’ve said, I don’t think it’s possible to change the schemes that you’ve selected. Even if it was, doing so might not increase your chances, as all schemes use the same online tests, but have their own individually set pass marks. If DDaT has a higher pass mark or places more emphasis on the numerical test than the other schemes you applied for, changing schemes might actually disadvantage you.

If you enjoyed working with data, I’m sure there will be opportunities to do that on many of the schemes (after all, they all include the numerical assessment) and, once you’ve completed the fast stream (if successful), you’ll almost certainly have the option to move into roles that involve working with data.

If I were you, I’d focus on seeking opportunities to use your mathematical ability on the schemes you’ve applied for, rather than potentially jeopardising your application trying to do something that they’ve said can’t be done.
Hi there,

Btw I forgot to ask how many questions did you get for the numerical? My one was pretty long, got about 17 question. Does the number of questions that you get indicate anything?

Not yet. Like you(Probably), I am checking every few hours or so. I did start my assessment within minutes of it unlocking, so I suspect I'll find out relatively early.

My guess is that the tests are slightly different this year, and they don't have a baseline. We'll probably not have an answer for weeks. It'll be pretty unhealthy mentally to check every few hours.

I mean... I'm still going to. I just recognize it's not healthy. :wink:
Hi there,

Btw I forgot to ask how many questions did you get for the numerical? My one was pretty long, got about 17 question. Does the number of questions that you get indicate anything?

not sure... what iIdo know is that if you get one wrong it will automatically then present you with an 'easier' question. I have no idea how many i got/completed but would say less than 17. About 12? Good luck to you :smile:
Hi there,

not sure... what iIdo know is that if you get one wrong it will automatically then present you with an 'easier' question. I have no idea how many i got/completed but would say less than 17. About 12? Good luck to you :smile:

Original post by Hungryhippo15
Thanks for your reply. Yeah i’ve been looking for a few. Hoping to get a summer internship anywhere to be honest.

Its a shame that EDIP isn’t open as now SDIP will be more competitive. Do you know of any summer programmes that will help me in joining the fast stream specifically?
(edited 6 months ago)
Hi there,

I honestly don't remember. Sorry!
Reply 58
Hi everyone. I did my tests yesterday. Work style questions and numerical one. I got above average on numerical. No feedback on my work based assesment. The situational judgment question is still locked. It says unlocked if i pass my online tests. Does it mean i didnt pass the work based questions. ?
Original post by Maria1711
Hi everyone. I did my tests yesterday. Work style questions and numerical one. I got above average on numerical. No feedback on my work based assesment. The situational judgment question is still locked. It says unlocked if i pass my online tests. Does it mean i didnt pass the work based questions. ?

Nobody has gotten feedback, yet. I suspect it's a new test and averages haven't been calculated and won't until a certain number of people apply.

I'm in the same boat, but I did the tests on Thursday at noon as soon as it opened up. Everyone is.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending