The Student Room Group

Civil Service Fast Stream 2024 - Applicants thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Maria1711
Hi everyone. I did my tests yesterday. Work style questions and numerical one. I got above average on numerical. No feedback on my work based assesment. The situational judgment question is still locked. It says unlocked if i pass my online tests. Does it mean i didnt pass the work based questions. ?

Just to confirm, is it definitely the situational judgement test that you’re waiting to unlock?

The three tests that you should have completed are the Situational Judgment Questionnaire, the Work Style Questionnaire and the Numerical Assessment. The one that unlocks later is the Work-Based Assessment.
Original post by FishkillFun
Just to confirm, is it definitely the situational judgement test that you’re waiting to unlock?

The three tests that you should have completed are the Situational Judgment Questionnaire, the Work Style Questionnaire and the Numerical Assessment. The one that unlocks later is the Work-Based Assessment.

Yeah. Good point. You should have had 3 different tests and then Work-Based Assessment.
Has anyone had their Work-Based Assessment unlocked, or have any idea when we'll get the results for the first 3 tests?
Also hi everyone!
Original post by bellywelly137
Has anyone had their Work-Based Assessment unlocked, or have any idea when we'll get the results for the first 3 tests?
Also hi everyone!

Not yet. You should have your maths results, though.
Original post by ThatOldGuy
Not yet. You should have your maths results, though.

Yes got those!
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by bellywelly137
Also hi everyone!

Hello and welcome!

As far as we’re currently aware, nobody has unlocked the work-based assessment yet, nor received feedback for any of the tests other than numerical assessment. You should receive feedback for each of your online assessments, but we have no idea when that will occur.

In terms of “results”, you will first find out whether you have unlocked the work-based assessment (sometime between now and December) and then whether you have progressed to the FSAC/additional information stage for any of your selected schemes (sometime between now and February).

Applicants do not receive information on progression at the same time. Each scheme has its own pass mark and, in previous years, applicants only received progression information once they had a definite decision (pass or fail) for each of the four schemes that they applied to.

In previous years, these pass marks were “moving” in the sense that they were determined over time by a combination of average test scores for that cohort of applicants, the ratios of applicants to vacancies and the individual demands of specific schemes. As a result, if your test scores were significantly above or below the moving pass mark for each of the schemes you applied to, it was possible to unlock the work-based assessment and/or receive a progression decision before the final pass marks were determined. If your test scores were near the moving pass mark for any of your selected schemes, you would likely have to wait until the final pass marks had been determined to receive a progression decision.

The FAQ page on the Fast Stream website seems to indicate that results will be determined in a similar way this year. However, as nobody is yet known to have unlocked the work-based assessment, we simply do not know whether this is the case. As ThatOldGuy has mentioned, the online assessment stage seems to have changed a little and it is possible that feedback has been delayed this year, as they don’t yet have baseline results for all of the online assessments. That could also mean a delay in determining progression decisions, but it’s purely speculation at this point.
Reply 66
Original post by FishkillFun

Sorry yes you are right. I didnt realise there are 2 work ones. One work style and second work based.
I double checked it is work based that is locked. Thankyou for confirming x
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by birdsdontsing
Hi, I have a STEM degree but is it worth applying for both Gov Policy and Gov Policy STEM? Or is that a waste of a choice

Hi,

It seems that it isn't worth applying for both; they are the same thing. If you have a STEM degree, select Gov Policy STEM - otherwise select Gov Policy.

The website states the following:

"To support data gathering and monitoring, on your application portal, you will be asked to confirm your scheme preferences. If you have a STEM undergraduate or postgraduate degree, please select the “Government Policy STEM” option, otherwise select “Government Policy”."
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 68
My math feedback has not come through! Why might this be the case?
Original post by MadTara
My math feedback has not come through! Why might this be the case?

Huh strange, have you tried refreshing the page?
Reply 70
Original post by FriedFish
Huh strange, have you tried refreshing the page?

Yep :frown:. I did put down that I had reasonable adjustments (I.e. dyslexia) could that have some something to with it as my friend did hers at
The same time and got math feedback instantly?
Reply 71
Minor query regarding the online tests - I know there is not a time limit but do they still take into account how long you take or is it completely irrelevant?
Original post by Heydonz
Minor query regarding the online tests - I know there is not a time limit but do they still take into account how long you take or is it completely irrelevant?

Based on previous years, it is irrelevant.
Original post by MadTara
Yep :frown:. I did put down that I had reasonable adjustments (I.e. dyslexia) could that have some something to with it as my friend did hers at
The same time and got math feedback instantly?

Did you request specific adjustments for the online tests or only for the recruitment process in general? If the latter, I did the same thing and still got feedback for the numerical test.
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 74
Hi all,

I applied a few days back and just did the numerical test yesterday. This is what it said on my feedback report: "Your responses to the Numerical test demonstrated some capability to successfully
perform calculations, and evaluate and interpret numerical information to solve
problems. In this respect your performance on this assessment is the same as most
other people who previously took the test"
I was just wondering if this was common feedback and there are chances of progression?
Original post by am41998
Hi all,

I applied a few days back and just did the numerical test yesterday. This is what it said on my feedback report: "Your responses to the Numerical test demonstrated some capability to successfully
perform calculations, and evaluate and interpret numerical information to solve
problems. In this respect your performance on this assessment is the same as most
other people who previously took the test"
I was just wondering if this was common feedback and there are chances of progression?

That is the most common feedback. You still have the opportunity to move on depending on how well you did on your other tests and what you applied for.

Granted, Houses of Parliament, Diplomacy and (Increasingly likely) Policy appear to be out of reach, but if you applied for things that weren't the most common you still have a shot.
Reply 76
Any tips for the Situational Judgment Test?
Reply 77
Original post by ThatOldGuy
That is the most common feedback. You still have the opportunity to move on depending on how well you did on your other tests and what you applied for.

Granted, Houses of Parliament, Diplomacy and (Increasingly likely) Policy appear to be out of reach, but if you applied for things that weren't the most common you still have a shot.

Thank you! I applied for HR, Commercial, Digital Data and Project Delivery. Can't remember if that was the exact order haha
Original post by am41998
Thank you! I applied for HR, Commercial, Digital Data and Project Delivery. Can't remember if that was the exact order haha

All great choices! You're definitely still in the running depending on your other tests.
Original post by 1604
Any tips for the Situational Judgment Test?

You will be asked to review several situations and rate various possible courses of action as one of the following:
Effective;
Partially effective;
Ineffective;
Counterproductive

It can be difficult to distinguish between effective and partially effective courses of action, as well as ineffective and counterproductive courses of action. The example questions can give you a feel for the differences. When deciding between effective and partially effective, it can be useful to consider whether the action resolves the situation or just mitigates it.

It is important to remember that more than one action might have the same rating and that, in some questions, one or more of the ratings might be unused. For example, there might be two partially effective answers, but no ineffective answers.

Remember also that they are assessing how well you work with others, not what decision you would take in the situations presented. It might be worth looking at relevant civil service strengths and behaviours to inform your approach to some questions.
(edited 6 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending