The Student Room Group

Veterinary practise supervision

Does anyone know where I could find a place that takes year 13 to supervise veterinary practises? Please help me this is urgent 😭💔
Reply 1
Email all your local places or even better go in and speak to them!
Reply 2
Original post by ALEreapp
Email all your local places or even better go in and speak to them!

I have, but they all reject me because they want someone with experience. How do I get experience if no one takes me?
Original post by man2drippy
I have, but they all reject me because they want someone with experience. How do I get experience if no one takes me?

You have to be persistent. Veterinary practices are common; there are loads around you. Call them first, as it makes a better impression than an email. On this forum at the top, there is a pinned resource thread which give thorough detail on how to acquire work experience placements for vet med. I recommend you read this.

It's tough. When I was preparing to apply to vet med, I had to ring hundreds of businesses to find the few that would take me seriously. But all vet students had to do it - it's one way the vet schools determine how serious the applicants are. You've got this!

Good luck :smile:
Original post by man2drippy

what area are you in? It is hard to get places but people will take you. Your local vets for pets might take you. Do you have access to a car. How many places have you contacted? Do you call or email? It is really hard but you will get there
Reply 5
Thank you so much for your words and resources. I wont give up! NEVER BACK DOWN NEVER WHAT?!
Original post by louisvbird
You have to be persistent. Veterinary practices are common; there are loads around you. Call them first, as it makes a better impression than an email. On this forum at the top, there is a pinned resource thread which give thorough detail on how to acquire work experience placements for vet med. I recommend you read this.

It's tough. When I was preparing to apply to vet med, I had to ring hundreds of businesses to find the few that would take me seriously. But all vet students had to do it - it's one way the vet schools determine how serious the applicants are. You've got this!

Good luck :smile:
Just to add that you can use RCVS Find A Vet tool to search for nearby practices if you're running out of ideas.
Strange that they're asking for people with experience when that's what you're there for! Make sure you're telling them who you are (e.g. I'm *insert name* and I'm in year X at *insert school name*) and that you would like a work experience placement because you want to be a vet. I do remember it being hard to find placements and some places won't take under 18's or under 16's or whatever for their safety/insurance rules. But yes, persist and if emails don't work then turn to phonecalls or visiting in person!
Best of luck with your experience and application! Don't forget your husbandry experience too :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending