The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Geogger
OK, I take your point... and for the majority of students in both Notts and London, they will have 3 years with few, if any, problems.

I do have a close colleague whose son is in Nottingham Trent and he has been mugged for the princely sum of 10 pounds a few weeks ago - he had an iron bar hit on the back of his head and was very badly kicked elsewhere (ribs etc). This all happened 2 minutes walk away from his Hall of residence which is part of the uni area - with CCTV cameras etc.
All I can say is wherever you go, you have to be careful - but this student was with another lad, they were not far from their Halls, their mobile phones weren't even taken, it seemed to be done 'for the hell of it'. Luckily he seems to be making a full recovery, but he was in hospital for several days.

I must emphasised I only really know Nottingham, not Trent Uni, and I believe it is Nottingham not Trent, that this candidate is considering?

Obviously what happened to your friend's son is terrible, but living in the Midlands I must say muggings are nowhere near as prevalent as in London area. My own home town is about 10mins from Notts and a mugging in the daytime last week made front page news!
Reply 21
m66
OP
Londons a much bigger city, so you would expect more muggings, etc, i think basing your choice on crime is stupid! Go 4 what you feel you can spend 3 years living in
Reply 22
tomcoolinguk
I must emphasised I only really know Nottingham, not Trent Uni, and I believe it is Nottingham not Trent, that this candidate is considering?

Obviously what happened to your friend's son is terrible, but living in the Midlands I must say muggings are nowhere near as prevalent as in London area. My own home town is about 10mins from Notts and a mugging in the daytime last week made front page news!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/insideout/eastmidlands/series7/gun_crime.shtml

Note that the entire article is centred on St Ann's, which I would willingly admit is a no go area. However, I would also say you'd be a likely to find a student winning the lottery as going into St Ann's. Ultimately, though if one considers the overall crime picture (which is sensible, considering the fact that much gun crime is related to organised crime) you will see Nottingham as being a fairly normal city, which in todays world does mean that crime has a visible presence.

My main argument with you Geogger, a grown woman [allegedly] is that you fail to accept crime in the south [where I believe you reside], which is just as much of a problem. Ultimately, in a decison between UCL and Notts, crime isn't really a big factor- both have major no go areas- but the campuses of both Unis are in safe locations. If students have their wits about them incidents are often preventable. You say that your friend's son was assaulted without motive, but this is nationally an exceptionally rare occurence. Most assaults are motivated by something, whether it is a rivalry/conflict or need for cash.

Back to the original argument, UCL is obviously the better place to go to study Geography if you want prestige. My only thought with UCL is that it might not be the best location if you want to do field studies! :p:
Reply 24
At least this thread will serve to suggest that students DO go and visit (as I always try to mention) before they make up their own mind AND that they find out about the place they are going to be spending 3 years of their life in.
This thread was actually quite informative - and had lots of different opinions before it diverted round about post 19! I shall refrain from posting anything further about Notts (even though I have actually stayed at the Uni halls and visited the city many times!)
I've dreamt about Nottingham for the last two nights, and each time I disliked it and it looked very different! :biggrin:
Reply 26
m66
OP
Really loved the campus and thought it was a great uni!!!!!
Reply 27
m66
OP
Tried looking out 4 people on this site there but didnt have any pics b4..
Reply 28
I didn't go. Did you like it then? When I went to Nottingham and stayed in the halls there, I hated it!
Reply 29
m66
OP
i loved it! thought it was a very nice clean campus, the people were quite friendly, and liked the sports hall area with the swimming pool!!
Reply 30
m66
i loved it! thought it was a very nice clean campus, the people were quite friendly, and liked the sports hall area with the swimming pool!!

What was the Geog department like?
Reply 31
m66
OP
i liked it, didnt look as modern as the law builing (where the lecture was) from the outside, but inside it was nice clean and has everything you want really..
Heya, me too! I was like "Must find tall guy with blonde, spiky hair!" There seemed to be a few though! Which tour group were you in? I was in the 2nd lot. Had my hair in bunches, was wearing jeans and baby blueish hooded jumper thing... :biggrin: Was sat on the right in the intro talk thing. Were you the guy with The Strokes t-shirt? Loll.

Anyway, it was flippin' great compared to S'oton! Yaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy! :biggrin:

As for Ellie, I don't know if she was there...
...and I don't know what fieldsofanfield looks like so...
Reply 33
Just goes to show how important it is to visit places I guess! People react to dif places is V. dif ways!
Reply 34
m66
OP
SiAnY
Heya, me too! I was like "Must find tall guy with blonde, spiky hair!" There seemed to be a few though! Which tour group were you in? I was in the 2nd lot. Had my hair in bunches, was wearing jeans and baby blueish hooded jumper thing... :biggrin: Was sat on the right in the intro talk thing. Were you the guy with The Strokes t-shirt? Loll.
Reply 35
I really, really loved it. Nice campus, great facilities, and everyone was so friendly! It's shot up from my 2nd/3rd chice to my 1st! Durham will really have to be something special to convince me otherwise! :biggrin:
Hi Alex :smile: *wonders if she saw you*
What are you wearing and what tour group were you in? :biggrin:
Reply 37
SiAnY
Hi Alex :smile: *wonders if she saw you*
What are you wearing and what tour group were you in? :biggrin:

I was sitting towards the back of the middle section in the lecture theatre, and ended up in a really small tour group because the lecturer guy misjudged it so badly. And the girl guiding us around walked ridiculously fast :eek:. I can't remember what I was wearing.
Lol! That Bradshaw man was so weird!
Reply 39
m66
OP
fieldsofanfield
I was sitting towards the back of the middle section in the lecture theatre, and ended up in a really small tour group because the lecturer guy misjudged it so badly. And the girl guiding us around walked ridiculously fast :eek:. I can't remember what I was wearing.

i was in the last group with a woman with blonde hair!

Latest

Trending

Trending