The Student Room Group

book diary

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by heartz4moushi
PLSS I'VE HAD A WHOLE PHASE WHERE I GENUINELY THOUGHT I WAS GOING TO BE A FAMOUS AUTHOR😭😭
Yes PODG is a MUST MUST read, like I beg you to write it bc its just that good. Someone asks for a book recommendation, this is the first book i always say😅😅
Omg our tastes are so similar? I like all of those tropes too!! Fantasy is also my top3 book genres haha. Enemies to lovers 🔛🔝 (my absolute fav), fake dating is soooo hregekbifvrt too, academic rivals is😩, grumpy x sunshine is just🦋 and forced close proximity if just🔥🔥 i think you can understand what type of book i read from that😭😭😂😂 but one thing i will not tolerate as a trope is pregnancy and like you said love triangles bc🤢🤢🤢. theyre horrible.
Oh by the way have you by any chance read the shatter me series?

I read the first one! I've heard it's supposed to be very good but I got bored of Adam (is that his name? whoever the 1st love interest is), and sometimes the writing seemed too flowery to me. But since everyone is obsessed I'm wondering if I should pick up the next book.
Happy Thursday lovelies!! I hope everyone had a good week so far.
Mine was 50/50. I mean it was stressful bc I have mocks, it was the first week back and I've been doing exams that have overun after school everyday so far now. BUTTT tmrw is the last day and I've got all the STEM subjects. maths paper 3, physics paper 2 and computer science paper 1. i've been revising for computer science, idk have time of day to be doing physics so ill probably just look over my textbook in school tbh😪 maths... i never revise for it😍 (which is not good, and you shouldnt be like me).
Anywhoo, the more positive thing. At home, I have been taking free time after school (i only really study 6pm-10pm). As you know my book for this week was A Streetcar Named Desire so I'm here bc I have finished it and its time for a review!

A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE: TENNESSEE WILLIAMS
genre: southern gothic
age rating: 15+ (some explicit language + suggestive themes)
characters: 4.5/5
plot: 4/5
overall rating: 4/5

Can I just say... wow! I might be being tad dramatic but I REALLY enjoyed this play. I mean for a piece of lit that's used in a-levels, its something I would read for fun. Although the genre of this book was completely alien to me, I was hooked from the beginning. When I tell you I devoured this book, I mean it. It took me exactly 3 hours to finish it. I started after school on Tuesday, read for about 30 minutes before I had to start revision for my exams of wednesday. After I was done, I couldn't help myself. I was up at night from 11-1 in the morning finishing this book. And it was worth it. This book is a masterpiece in my eyes. Originally, I did only pick it up solely to the fact that all the sixth forms I've applied to around this for their coursework, but I'm glad I bought a copy. I full started making notes on this book and annotating, that's how invested I really was😂😂.
I am forever a Blanche DuBois apologists, I love that lady with my being. she deserved better in the end tho. And her sister, Stella was my fav character. And Stanley (i heard he's played by marlon brando in the movie🤭) was a ****. yk just a typical white man in the 50s in america who loves sex, alcohol and patrichal control (no offence). but i will say, one thing that made me slightly uncomfortbale was the use of the n-word like just so blatantly. it never fails to surprise me just how bad morals and ethics were in the 20th century. the writer isnt black, so idk why it was used in the first place but then again given the context of the time period, are we really that surprised?
Blanche is just my spirit animal you know, she's just such a woman. and I think tennessee really did a great job on capturing the essence of ALL characters so much so that we didn't even read about them so much or this wasn't an elaborate 500 page story but somehow we still got attached to the characters. I'll admit Stella's betrayal in the end really did hurt since I loved their sibling dynamic and I thought Stalla was always going to choose her sister and I was really rooting for that too😭😭 And Blanche's final lines gave me such goosebumps due to its double meanings. like c'mon, we all know what she means really means by 'the kindness of strangers' (tho the doctor is not the man she expected him to be and neither are his intentions). I love how there's context of nouveau america in this play, the rivalry between old money blanche and immigrants like stanley who are starting to be the ones who compose new america. blanches southern wealthy background is no longer what giver her superiority and its just crazy to imagine how we had aristocrats and gentry that once used to be such a big part of our olden day society but now opt to live in the shadows more.
Overall, this book was a new experience for me and I thoroughly enjoyed every moment of it. So yeah, would recommend to anyone who hasn't read it😊 (its great further reading before sixth form too if you're looking into doing english lit).

Have a great rest of your days everyone and happy reading to those who are! Feel free to leave your own reviews of what you're reading on this thread, I would love to see some of them💞
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by study23!
I read the first one! I've heard it's supposed to be very good but I got bored of Adam (is that his name? whoever the 1st love interest is), and sometimes the writing seemed too flowery to me. But since everyone is obsessed I'm wondering if I should pick up the next book.

OH ADAM??!! YOUREE WAYY BACKK. He's NOT the main love interest dw (we were all annoyed by him in the first book). The love interest is actually (spoiler if you dont know) Aaron. You know the blond guy, leader of sector 45? The one that forced Juliette to have dinners with him😂😂 yep him. The next book is a bit boring, not much going on but its worth it in the long run bc when we get to book three....🤯🤯🤯. Ignite me was something else. Like it was the cherry on top to everything. I haven't gotten further than the 3rd book but theres 2 more book after that, the last one is 'Believe Me', I think. I'm going to buy them when I get the chance. But the ignite me? 1000% must read. oh and theres also sooo many iconic lines in that book🤣
Reply 23
OH ADAM??!! YOUREE WAYY BACKK. He's NOT the main love interest dw (we were all annoyed by him in the first book). The love interest is actually (spoiler if you dont know) Aaron. You know the blond guy, leader of sector 45? The one that forced Juliette to have dinners with him😂😂 yep him. The next book is a bit boring, not much going on but its worth it in the long run bc when we get to book three....🤯🤯🤯. Ignite me was something else. Like it was the cherry on top to everything. I haven't gotten further than the 3rd book but theres 2 more book after that, the last one is 'Believe Me', I think. I'm going to buy them when I get the chance. But the ignite me? 1000% must read. oh and theres also sooo many iconic lines in that book🤣

Haha 😂 I'll have to get the next two soon! They're short aren't they so they may be good ones in between the 500page fantasies.

Good luck with mocks btw, I'm assuimg you're yr11? Was wondering what a levels (apart from eng lit) you're thinking of taking next year, and any ideas what you want to do in future? English lit would have been my fifth a level choice since I enjoyed the lessons so much (and got highest marks in year hehe), but from what my friends say they love it so you're in for a treat!
Haha 😂 I'll have to get the next two soon! They're short aren't they so they may be good ones in between the 500page fantasies.

Good luck with mocks btw, I'm assuimg you're yr11? Was wondering what a levels (apart from eng lit) you're thinking of taking next year, and any ideas what you want to do in future? English lit would have been my fifth a level choice since I enjoyed the lessons so much (and got highest marks in year hehe), but from what my friends say they love it so you're in for a treat!

They're 300 pages ish, soo decent sized!
Yep I'm in yr11 :smile:
So, obviosuly im picking english lit. im also going to do psychology, history and i picked politics for the sixth forms that asked me for a 4th subject. oh and an epq for my school's sixth form since we had to pick 3 alevels and 1 as level. highest marks in your year?! wow, well done!😂 yhh i've done a taste tester lesson already on english and gone to the open day where i got a lot of insight from my english teacher about the course and im 100% picking it.
I want to do law when im older, become a barrister more specifically! so the subjects im doing arent really for the career as to get into law you dont need specific degrees but for uni i do want to do a law degree with 1 year of international law but this plan isnt finalised😅
Reply 25
They're 300 pages ish, soo decent sized!
Yep I'm in yr11 :smile:
So, obviosuly im picking english lit. im also going to do psychology, history and i picked politics for the sixth forms that asked me for a 4th subject. oh and an epq for my school's sixth form since we had to pick 3 alevels and 1 as level. highest marks in your year?! wow, well done!😂 yhh i've done a taste tester lesson already on english and gone to the open day where i got a lot of insight from my english teacher about the course and im 100% picking it.
I want to do law when im older, become a barrister more specifically! so the subjects im doing arent really for the career as to get into law you dont need specific degrees but for uni i do want to do a law degree with 1 year of international law but this plan isnt finalised😅

Sounds good! Yeah I heard most unis don't actually like law a level apparently? It's a good idea to go for the ones you enjoy, and I think most law applicants go for similar combos so sounds like you're in a good place! I'd suggest trying for debate club if you have one in school - and if not make one! That's supposedely good for law.
Sounds good! Yeah I heard most unis don't actually like law a level apparently? It's a good idea to go for the ones you enjoy, and I think most law applicants go for similar combos so sounds like you're in a good place! I'd suggest trying for debate club if you have one in school - and if not make one! That's supposedely good for law.

Yep my enrichment session is set for debate club!😁 I know a school near me that does a level law but it really is the most useless thing ever if you want to do law at uni, so idrk what the point of it is lol. thanks for your suggestions <33
Reply 27
Hey everyonee!!
So, this has absolutely got nothing to do with academics... well kinda lol, but I wanted to do a book diary thread.
I'm not really much of reader, well at least am not anymore, and want to start getting back into it. Not for any particular reasons, but I'm going to be doing english lit for a-levels and my english teacher told me it's good to read a variety of books to deepen understanding of literature.
I'm starting this today, no idea when i will end it. maybe no time soon ahaha.
My goal is to read one book a week starting from christmas day which is a monday!
I'll be leaving a review everytime a finish reading a book with my thoughts, opinions, ratings etc.
I used to be quite the die hard reader a couple of years💀 but then stopped but I really do feel like now is the time to rekindle my passion with books and reading.
Thank you so much to anyone who wants to keep up with this and if yall have any book suggestions leave them down below👇 (they can literally be anything, from classics to booktok fics, i dont mind😂).
Have a lovely day x

when i started english a level in year 12 last year, my teacher started a mini book club in our class so she would give us 1 month to read 1 book she’d give us, they were decent lengths and then we’d discuss it in one of our lessons. i’ll share the books she told me to read since they are by an english teacher and i did enjoy some of them 🙂

And Then There Were None - Agatha Christie

Hot Milk - Deborah Levy

Educated - Tara Westover

Lanny - Max Porter

Bonjour Tristesse - Françoise Sagan

some of these i personally did not enjoy but some i really did but it was interesting to see different types of genres and it sort of helped me understand what appeals to me.

my teacher also taught me classics last year and did the same thing with classics related books which are fiction. i’ll list those too if you’re interested :smile:

The Song of Achilles - Madeline Miller

Circe - Madeline Miller

Galatea - Madeline Miller

The Secret History - Donna Tartt (not much greek mythology like the others but a good literature book i think should be mainly on the ‘english’ list)

The Six Olympians - i forgot the author but i really wanna read this

Stephen Fry’s Greek myths 3 book series - mythos, heroes, troy

Not sure if you’re interested in Homer since that’s deep into classical lit but his iliad and the odyssey are amazing

hope this helps :smile:
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by marz11
when i started english a level in year 12 last year, my teacher started a mini book club in our class so she would give us 1 month to read 1 book she’d give us, they were decent lengths and then we’d discuss it in one of our lessons. i’ll share the books she told me to read since they are by an english teacher and i did enjoy some of them 🙂

And Then There Were None - Agatha Christie

Hot Milk - Deborah Levy

Educated - Tara Westover

Lanny - Max Porter

Bonjour Tristesse - Françoise Sagan

some of these i personally did not enjoy but some i really did but it was interesting to see different types of genres and it sort of helped me understand what appeals to me.

my teacher also taught me classics last year and did the same thing with classics related books which are fiction. i’ll list those too if you’re interested :smile:

The Song of Achilles - Madeline Miller

Circe - Madeline Miller

Galatea - Madeline Miller

The Secret History - Donna Tartt (not much greek mythology like the others but a good literature book i think should be mainly on the ‘english’ list)

The Six Olympians - i forgot the author but i really wanna read this

Stephen Fry’s Greek myths 3 book series - mythos, heroes, troy

Not sure if you’re interested in Homer since that’s deep into classical lit but his iliad and the odyssey are amazing

hope this helps :smile:

Which ones in the list did you/did not enjoy?
Oh I've got the Song of Achilles ordered this week. I've heard so many good things about it but app its heartbreaking </3
I've read the Secret History by Donna Tartt and it was alright I guess, however I preferred The Goldfinch by her.
Oh yes Homer, I've heard about Iliad and The Odyssey!
Tysm for your suggestions, and I'll my best to look into all the books on your lists and get back to you❤
Ahhh exciting news guysss!! My Song of Achilles book came through the mail today🤩🤩 I haven't opened my package yet since I've just been trying to relax especially since today was the last days of my mocks. So woohoo🥳 But I still do have my Spanish speaking and listening, my speaking is on monday at 9:15 (😞) and listening is on the following monday. I've decided to be slightly more productive today instead of wasting the WHOLE evening, so I'm currently going through my General Conversation replies and trying to memorise as much as possible😄 What I wanted to say is that Song of Achilles is most likely to be my next reading book, idk when I'll start it but I'll keep you all updated🤗
Have a fantastic day queens. Mwah x
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 30
Ahhh exciting news guysss!! My Song of Achilles book came through the mail today🤩🤩 I haven't opened my package yet since I've just been trying to relax especially since today was the last days of my mocks. So woohoo🥳 But I still do have my Spanish speaking and listening, my speaking is on monday at 9:15 (😞) and listening is on the following monday. I've decided to be slightly more productive today instead of wasting the WHOLE evening, so I'm currently going through my General Conversation replies and trying to memorise as much as possible😄 What I wanted to say is that Song of Achilles is most likely to be my next reading book, idk when I'll start it but I'll keep you all updated🤗

I had a friend who read that, she finished it in school next to me one lunch break and started crying 😢 Hopefully that means it’s good!
Reply 31

That's so exciting!! I love buying books lol

Best of luck with your Spanish speaking and listening <3
I had a friend who read that, she finished it in school next to me one lunch break and started crying 😢 Hopefully that means it’s good!

i mean its based of the greek mythological tragedy of achilles and patrocolus and i've seen reviews online. its really good apparently but emotionally its just💔and thats why i bought it (i love the pain of a good heart wrenching book that leaves me staring at a wall once im done). im actually soo excited to read it loll🥴
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 33
Oh I've got the Song of Achilles ordered this week. I've heard so many good things about it but app its heartbreaking </3
I've read the Secret History by Donna Tartt and it was alright I guess, however I preferred The Goldfinch by her.
Tysm for your suggestions, and I'll my best to look into all the books on your lists and get back to you❤

hi! song of achilles is beautiful😂 also sad but i love it. it’s an easy read, feels like fanfiction but i like that haha.
yeah i have to admit secret history was mid.. i mean when i got to chapter 5 and saw how long the chapter was 😭 it takes very very long to well- get into the story! i really want to read her other books tho

so for the books my teacher gave for english, i liked and then there were none. easy read, great story, it kept me hooked!
hot milk - meh.. thought it was alright. kinda cute but i did get a bit bored but i dont think its too long.
educated - it’s a memoir by west over about her and her mormon family and how she wants to go to college and stresses the importance of education. i really liked this book, actually learnt about mormons as well and her fight to just be educated. quite inspiring!
Lanny - now this book i liked. it was quite odd and unique the story! a short and easy read but an interesting story of an innocent boy called lanny who goes missing. i like the themes explored in this
bonjour tristesse - this book is only like 100 pages long so quick book to get done with - i think it was alright, nothing ‘too special’. just a nice story of this girl who’s dad is a widow and is actually with a younger woman named elsa but then her mum’s old friend comes back and starts to fall in love with the girl’s dad (sorry i don’t even remember the main girl’s name lol). the main girl then tries to get him back with the younger woman elsa. sad ending but like i said, nothing amazing
Reply 34

yesss have fun! (and have tissues next to you when u read it lol)
Reply 35

now for the classics list. song of achilles like the i have said AMAZING.
circe i have not read yet but i’ve heard it’s mid but i’ll still read it. she’s a character in the odyssey so i do have my mind on reading it.

galatea - really cute approx 50 page book on a woman wanting to find her independence. a goddess blesses a sculptor with the most beautiful woman, his masterpiece named galatea and is expected to be obedient to the sculptor but he’s basically obsessed with her and keeps her locked away and she tries to escape

the six olympians i saw on booktok but haven’t had time to read. it’s about how the greek gods are actually banished to earth without any memory of who they are until they turn 16 they start to realise what’s happened.

my classics teacher has read stephen fry’s 3 books and said they’re great and i have seen them on booktok everywhere but also haven’t read it yet! honestly i’ve had no time because of exams 😭

now HOMER 😍. i study the odyssey in my a levels so i read that first. i mean… IT’S SO GOOD i love it! the story is just AMAZING and the tiny details on literally EVERY scene is so nice to read. i mean tiny details like a character entering someone’s home to eat dinner… they describe him entering and being bathed in detail then sitting down on a chair that’s described then the food is described- it’s honestly a legendary book i recommend to everyone!!! the version i read is this one translated by ev rieu:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Odyssey-Penguin-Classics-Homer/dp/0140449116

since i read odyssey i knew i had to read iliad 😆 i wanted to make sure i got the same translated version as the odyssey because i liked that particular one by ev rieu. i liked the odyssey better BUT iliad is a great story of the trojan war. it’s actually where the song of achilles story sorta came from so since u have that book already i’d recommend then you read the iliad after! here’s the link for the copy i got:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0140447946?tag=prhmarketing2552-21
Original post by marz11
hi! song of achilles is beautiful😂 also sad but i love it. it’s an easy read, feels like fanfiction but i like that haha.
yeah i have to admit secret history was mid.. i mean when i got to chapter 5 and saw how long the chapter was 😭 it takes very very long to well- get into the story! i really want to read her other books tho

so for the books my teacher gave for english, i liked and then there were none. easy read, great story, it kept me hooked!
hot milk - meh.. thought it was alright. kinda cute but i did get a bit bored but i dont think its too long.
educated - it’s a memoir by west over about her and her mormon family and how she wants to go to college and stresses the importance of education. i really liked this book, actually learnt about mormons as well and her fight to just be educated. quite inspiring!
Lanny - now this book i liked. it was quite odd and unique the story! a short and easy read but an interesting story of an innocent boy called lanny who goes missing. i like the themes explored in this
bonjour tristesse - this book is only like 100 pages long so quick book to get done with - i think it was alright, nothing ‘too special’. just a nice story of this girl who’s dad is a widow and is actually with a younger woman named elsa but then her mum’s old friend comes back and starts to fall in love with the girl’s dad (sorry i don’t even remember the main girl’s name lol). the main girl then tries to get him back with the younger woman elsa. sad ending but like i said, nothing amazing

ohh okk, tysmm! will be checking out the ones you liked hehe😄
Original post by marz11
now for the classics list. song of achilles like the i have said AMAZING.
circe i have not read yet but i’ve heard it’s mid but i’ll still read it. she’s a character in the odyssey so i do have my mind on reading it.

galatea - really cute approx 50 page book on a woman wanting to find her independence. a goddess blesses a sculptor with the most beautiful woman, his masterpiece named galatea and is expected to be obedient to the sculptor but he’s basically obsessed with her and keeps her locked away and she tries to escape

the six olympians i saw on booktok but haven’t had time to read. it’s about how the greek gods are actually banished to earth without any memory of who they are until they turn 16 they start to realise what’s happened.

my classics teacher has read stephen fry’s 3 books and said they’re great and i have seen them on booktok everywhere but also haven’t read it yet! honestly i’ve had no time because of exams 😭

now HOMER 😍. i study the odyssey in my a levels so i read that first. i mean… IT’S SO GOOD i love it! the story is just AMAZING and the tiny details on literally EVERY scene is so nice to read. i mean tiny details like a character entering someone’s home to eat dinner… they describe him entering and being bathed in detail then sitting down on a chair that’s described then the food is described- it’s honestly a legendary book i recommend to everyone!!! the version i read is this one translated by ev rieu:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Odyssey-Penguin-Classics-Homer/dp/0140449116

since i read odyssey i knew i had to read iliad 😆 i wanted to make sure i got the same translated version as the odyssey because i liked that particular one by ev rieu. i liked the odyssey better BUT iliad is a great story of the trojan war. it’s actually where the song of achilles story sorta came from so since u have that book already i’d recommend then you read the iliad after! here’s the link for the copy i got:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0140447946?tag=prhmarketing2552-21

okkk this list i was more excited about loll. i've recently being getting into greek mythology ever since the new percy jackson series came out, so honestly these books are what i need right now😅😅 the odyssey and iliad are deffo going on my tbr especially since they're by such a popular author that i've heard amazing things about. and galatea sounds great and im going to have to do research on the six olympians and stephen fry's 3 books!! thank youuu for these suggestionss💞 been so helpfull!
Reply 38
okkk this list i was more excited about loll. i've recently being getting into greek mythology ever since the new percy jackson series came out, so honestly these books are what i need right now😅😅 the odyssey and iliad are deffo going on my tbr especially since they're by such a popular author that i've heard amazing things about. and galatea sounds great and im going to have to do research on the six olympians and stephen fry's 3 books!! thank youuu for these suggestionss💞 been so helpfull!

no problem!! if you’re comfortable sharing, what year are you currently in? i ask this as i’m an a level student so curious as to how you’re balancing reading for fun + studies bc i’ve had no time for ages 😭

alsooo since you’re liking percy jackson you could read rick riordan’s books! although i’ve never read them and i grew with watching the film first, 😂 i heard they’re very good and people like the show because they’re accurate to the books. although i’ve never been a fan of watching something that’s book accurate then reading those books after 😅

if you’re interested in norse mythology btw which is how i got so interested in greek myths after and ended up taking classics bc of it, i recommend rick riordan’s magnus chase series. i think it’s 3 books and also a book called ‘norse mythology’ by neil gaiman! (hope i spelt his surname correct lol)
Original post by máni
That's so exciting!! I love buying books lol

Best of luck with your Spanish speaking and listening <3

Thank you so much!💞 What has been your most recent book purchase?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending