The Student Room Group

book diary

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tatakae L
yh mines been gathering since y10, so as a y12 now the problem has accumulated quite the bit. Oh wells, we love a good unorganised gal tho, its life tho

honestt😂
Reply 81
Original post by heartz4moushi
Frankenstein, yes!!! (i recommended this classic to someone on this thread already i think bc i personally loved this😭). Never let me go, heard of it but never read it😁

i love frankenstein like everyone’s ‘heard’ of the story but when you read it, like.. it’s such a classic gothic story! i just love shelley’s writing so much

i defo recommend never let me go. i think it’s an easy read too, read it around this time last year. And the ‘dullness/depressing’ atmosphere makes the book so much better in my opinion
Reply 82
yh mines been gathering since y10, so as a y12 now the problem has accumulated quite the bit. Oh wells, we love a good unorganised gal tho, its life tho

Same 😂 year 10 me thought I’d be reading every day!
Original post by marz11
i love frankenstein like everyone’s ‘heard’ of the story but when you read it, like.. it’s such a classic gothic story! i just love shelley’s writing so much

i defo recommend never let me go. i think it’s an easy read too, read it around this time last year. And the ‘dullness/depressing’ atmosphere makes the book so much better in my opinion

No because I felt the same way about this book. Many people said they hated it but I was on the side that loved it. Like you said, it's litreally a truly worthy classic piece of gothic lit!
Okkk, I love 'dull and depressing' sooo adding it on my new TBR💕
Reply 84
No because I felt the same way about this book. Many people said they hated it but I was on the side that loved it. Like you said, it's litreally a truly worthy classic piece of gothic lit!
Okkk, I love 'dull and depressing' sooo adding it on my new TBR💕

LOLL. love that! i feel bad for the characters in never let me go too 😭😭 what do you want to take at a level?
Original post by marz11
LOLL. love that! i feel bad for the characters in never let me go too 😭😭 what do you want to take at a level?

OMG FEELING BAD FOR CHARCATERS IS ONE OF MY FAV GO TO ACTIVITIES😍😍 (its torture.)
For A-levels, I'm going to do English Literature, History, Psychology and for the sixth forms that asked for a 4th subject, I picked Politics! I'm assuming you're already in sixth form, so what subjects do you do? How are they? Do you enjoy them?
Reply 86
OMG FEELING BAD FOR CHARCATERS IS ONE OF MY FAV GO TO ACTIVITIES😍😍 (its torture.)
For A-levels, I'm going to do English Literature, History, Psychology and for the sixth forms that asked for a 4th subject, I picked Politics! I'm assuming you're already in sixth form, so what subjects do you do? How are they? Do you enjoy them?

wait some sixth form asked for you to do a 4th subject? so you’d have to do 4 compulsory a levels if you went to that sixth form?

loll nah same i hope this doesn’t sound weird but i purposefully put myself through that torture 💀💀 i did that when i started watching other marvel films with loki and reading other books + fanfiction with him 😭

yes i’m in year 13! i do english literature, classical civilisation and politics! your combo is great and i think it suits you!
you lot have litterly such a nice combo and then I have the most typical tri for a dr of chem, bio and psych. I took lit for a week and then dropped out cause I went from the slums where people whould help my dyslexic ass when I asked for help, to the poshes ends in town when i got the grades to get in and these lot were reading shakspear fluently like its their first language. I asked for help cause i didnt know how to flipping read a word and the teacher looked at me, goes not quite, then continues on in her snobish accent. Made me feel so dumb, when im not, but oh wells, i love reading and writing i just cant do it at a academil level for a levels at the school at im at lol.
Original post by study23!
Same 😂 year 10 me thought I’d be reading every day!

nah exactly, and then life hit me
Reply 89
you lot have litterly such a nice combo and then I have the most typical tri for a dr of chem, bio and psych. I took lit for a week and then dropped out cause I went from the slums where people whould help my dyslexic ass when I asked for help, to the poshes ends in town when i got the grades to get in and these lot were reading shakspear fluently like its their first language. I asked for help cause i didnt know how to flipping read a word and the teacher looked at me, goes not quite, then continues on in her snobish accent. Made me feel so dumb, when im not, but oh wells, i love reading and writing i just cant do it at a academil level for a levels at the school at im at lol.

noo cos i have friends who take like bio chem maths and wish they did something like politics i feel bad for them bc they’re essentially ‘stuck’ in that combo for medicine whereas even for law u could take like english, politics, econ or even smth like psych 😭

i hate when teachers treat students like that like…. it’s your JOB to teach them not expect students to know everything? main reason why i left my school for another sixth form
OMG NO WORRIES. BELIEVE IT OR NOT BUT I LOVE TO HEAR OTHER PEOPLE RANTS ON TOPICS IM INTERESTED IN TOO😭😭
You're writing a book?? Omg mee tooo!! I'm only a few thousand words into it though, and I haven't found the motivation to continue it recently but I do have my whole plan set out so maybe one day🤷*♀️ and 12,000 words is definitely a lot, like writing is hard and I think a lot of people underestimate the amount of brain power and will you need to write a full fic. I love the genres that you're incorporating into you're book. Maybe I'll get to read your book one day?? You should definitely keep going because I'm sure the end result will pay off😚.
Ok now this is where I have to put a line. For me it's the opposite. I hated ACOTAR and I don't like the writer's writing. Likeeee, I was struggling to get through the first 150 pages on ACOTAR so I just have the first book lying around somewhere in my room (idek where💀) with maybe only the first 100-120 pages touched. From then on I've never touch Sarah J Maas, even though I was recommended the whole ACOTAR series and Throne of Glass series too. But I did hear apparently ACOMAF is the best book in the series, and as much as I would love to give that a try, it's the second book IN A SERIES, meaning I HAVE to get through A court of thorns and roses first. I think this is just opinions/preferences and tastes. Like we all like our own things I guess. And how did shatter me have odd characters?? I loved most of them😭 IDKKK HOW TO FEEL NOW, LIKE SHOULD I GIVE ACOTAR ANOTHER TRY NOWW ORRR JCNBEHFV IDKK🤣.

Enemies to lovers??! I am SOLDD😍😍 Adding to my TBR rn!!

OMDS WHY DIDNT I SEE THIS ONE, I SAW EVERYONE ELSES EXEPT YOURS. defo continue your book cause trust me it helps so much for english languge Q5 if your doing AQA. My book will definatly be a reading option one day and who knows, if you lot are lucky I might give a snippet soon if I am absolutly sure I love it. It's not as good as it can be, i KNOW THAT, but its a first book so its bound to be bad, but who gives a toss. Thanks lovey bout the genres cause Im tryna make it a bit SPESH uno set myself different from everyone else. But be sure to send me what you have wrote too cause trust me I'd love to read it and I'd send mine eventually too.
ALSO HATING ACOTAR must be a crime. now i am a really unworthy source because I finish my books so fast I dont experience slow plots because I finished that whole book in a day, and the second book is so much better love, i called half of it, but still. Its a enemys to lovers and yh. SHATTER ME MADE ME SO MAD, it started off so good right, like I was into juilite hell, i loved aaron and Julitte togeather just as much as I loved adam and Juilitte togeather, but then suddenly by the third book juilitte is throwing herself onto every single charecter, like she was just being such a pick me and like making say Kenji (who i love, fave charecter) and idk i could sence his discomfort and she was ****ing me off so bad. Then there is the whole thing of her like making adam feel so bad for everything that he has done for her litteraly cause he tried controlling her crazy, like litteraly crazy, but THIS MAN LEARNED HOW TO CONTROLL WHAT HURT HIM-HER-AND CHANEL IT SO HE COULD BE WITH HER and instead she chose the next best thing, which was aaron. Now aaron was a good charecter at the beggingng, and he made sence. tough mean guy, horror dad, but then slowly slowly he is seeking validation from juilitte and it reminded me more of a mother son relationship at that point. Like the whole "do you like my hair"bull at the beggining of book 3 just blew of my handle. Yh. I liked him more mean and with the banter that they had between themselves. yh so i dropped it after that. like she just made me mad. and then she felt bad for killing warners dad like he wasnt the biggest waste of space, then she is there constantly trying to jeprodise kenji and nazeera and throwing herself on kenji. I get she was locked away and now she sees men, but i honestly think adam was the best option for her because he kept her under wraps cause she was just out of hand with warner. This seems like the most unfeministic thing ive wrote but books do that to me cause in that world idc. But yh. Sorry that was so long and the spelling mistakes are mental but I cant spell and I cba to fix them either.
Original post by marz11
noo cos i have friends who take like bio chem maths and wish they did something like politics i feel bad for them bc they’re essentially ‘stuck’ in that combo for medicine whereas even for law u could take like english, politics, econ or even smth like psych 😭

i hate when teachers treat students like that like…. it’s your JOB to teach them not expect students to know everything? main reason why i left my school for another sixth form

yh ik, but then again the school wont take me thinking I have dyslexia seriously and theyre like im too clever to be dyslexic, but fr nah cause my spellings are ments, even when Im reaidng, the crap I read is in my own launguage at this point. Like say from ACOTAR the charecter Amarantha I just read as amanda cause why am I making it harder for myself. I love bio, like with my whole heart, but chemisty drains me and psychology is a bit long tbh. I love lit, but they wouldnt take me seriously in this posh place so I dropped out cause I cba, i was doing it for fun anyways
You know I might take up your offer on Powerless because recently absolutely EVERYONE and their mothers are recommending it to me. And apparently the writing is reallyyy good in it as well. So this is rn at the top of my TBR.
And yess @Tatakae L you should for sure post your fic on here if you get around to finishing it (best of luck also btw)💖

Thanks bubba, soon when I fully edit chapter 1, I'll send it throough as the first draft to you lot and you can tell me which part to add on and which part to keep.
Very random question (sigh), but what is everyone's fav music artist? (try and guess mine🤭)

Tate Mcrea, like I been listening to her for i think 5 years now. long I know. and Fujii Kaze as a foregin singer, i love his voice and I love japaneese
Reply 94
Original post by marz11

Me with Bio Chem Maths Further Maths….

If it was an ideal world where I could have taken a fifth id have taken English lit - but like you I’ll just read and ‘analyse’ on my own. My friends are reading Jane Eyre in eng now and gave it to me for Christmas so I feel like I’m sort of doing it 😂

If it was an ideal world where I could have taken a fifth id have taken English lit - but like you I’ll just read and ‘analyse’ on my own. My friends are reading Jane Eyre in eng now and gave it to me for Christmas so I feel like I’m sort of doing it 😂

A couple of girls from my psych class car doing lit too and theyre doing dracula and they were telling me about the threesome in the book and sommet about dracula putting on boobs😭😭😭. The world of litriture is just so advance
Reply 96
yh ik, but then again the school wont take me thinking I have dyslexia seriously and theyre like im too clever to be dyslexic, but fr nah cause my spellings are ments, even when Im reaidng, the crap I read is in my own launguage at this point. Like say from ACOTAR the charecter Amarantha I just read as amanda cause why am I making it harder for myself. I love bio, like with my whole heart, but chemisty drains me and psychology is a bit long tbh. I love lit, but they wouldnt take me seriously in this posh place so I dropped out cause I cba, i was doing it for fun anyways

wait so u dropped out of like school? are you in a different school now?
Reply 97

my friends who now take stem subjects literally used to read SO much like more than me, but now they’ve stopped bc there’s no time 😭 so i tell them stuff i’m reading in english and classics and now they just have an infinite TBR that they’ll start one point in their life 💀
Original post by marz11
wait so u dropped out of like school? are you in a different school now?

no no, lit. I might have to take the dyslexia thing completly private, cause school can help out but theyre taking the mick so I might have to do it all on my own. Im still in my sixth form tho, I tried to hard to get in oly for it to be everything I didnt imagine but its too late now and my friends are here too
Reply 99
no no, lit. I might have to take the dyslexia thing completly private, cause school can help out but theyre taking the mick so I might have to do it all on my own. Im still in my sixth form tho, I tried to hard to get in oly for it to be everything I didnt imagine but its too late now and my friends are here too

i feel bad ☹️ even tho a levels are stressful and full of content, the point of them is now have 3 core subjects ur interested in unlike gcses and it’s unfair when your school can become unsupportive. my old school was so toxic (it was also all girls sigh) and now after joining a new school for sixth form i actually feel like i can achieve something 😭

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending