The Student Room Group

Dropped out of Uni but now looking to go back

I was originally doing a 3 year degree in Mathematics however I dropped out due to personal reasons as well as no longer having a passion for the subject.
I am now considering going back to university but to do a degree relating to sports as that’s my true passion.
Any advice on where to start or what to do would be greatly appreciated as I am completely lost.
How many years did you study maths for? That will impact funding if you're a UK student (and also who is likely to be the best option to approach for a UCAS reference)

Do you meet the entry requirements for the sports degrees you're interested in?
Original post by Anonymous
I was originally doing a 3 year degree in Mathematics however I dropped out due to personal reasons as well as no longer having a passion for the subject.
I am now considering going back to university but to do a degree relating to sports as that’s my true passion.
Any advice on where to start or what to do would be greatly appreciated as I am completely lost.

You apply the same way you did last time. Find (up to) five courses to which you want to apply (and where you meet the entry requirements) and apply via UCAS. You have actual grades now, so you don't have to worry about predicted grades. You'll also need to list you time at uni in the education section. Do you know who you'll use as your referee?
Reply 3
Original post by PQ
How many years did you study maths for? That will impact funding if you're a UK student (and also who is likely to be the best option to approach for a UCAS reference)

Do you meet the entry requirements for the sports degrees you're interested in?

I did 2 years of my course as well as repeating the second semester of my 2nd year due to me becoming severely ill
Original post by Rbiz21
I did 2 years of my course as well as repeating the second semester of my 2nd year due to me becoming severely ill

So 3 years of previous study. 2 if you can provide evidence of compelling personal reasons for the repeat.

That means that at best you won’t have a tuition fee loan to cover fees for year 1 of a new degree (or year 1 and 2 if you can’t prove compelling personal reasons).

The previous study funding rules for part time study are much more generous. Have you looked to see if any universities offer the subject you’re interested in as a part time course?
Reply 5
Original post by PQ
So 3 years of previous study. 2 if you can provide evidence of compelling personal reasons for the repeat.

That means that at best you won’t have a tuition fee loan to cover fees for year 1 of a new degree (or year 1 and 2 if you can’t prove compelling personal reasons).

The previous study funding rules for part time study are much more generous. Have you looked to see if any universities offer the subject you’re interested in as a part time course?

I haven’t looked into part time courses but that does seem like the better option for me. Would applying to these types of course be done through UCAS as well?
Original post by Rbiz21
I haven’t looked into part time courses but that does seem like the better option for me. Would applying to these types of course be done through UCAS as well?

It's optional for the universities offering part time course whether they are applied to through UCAS - so it's an ok place to start but often looking on local university websites is worthwhile too

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending