The Student Room Group

Any books that you hated?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by study23!
Sounds pretty awful - thanks for the warning

Anything to help a fellow reader stay as far away as possible from such monstrosity of books that literal trees were wasted on to print our ghastly words that made up an even more atrocious story🤭💖

Interesting, I’ve never heard anyone speak badly of his books. I’ve only ever read Fault In Our Stars, which I didn’t hate but thought was definitely overhyped! As you said the teens didn’t feel like teens (I have yet to meet a boy who pretends to smoke as a metaphor for life) and although I did cry and I’d probably rate it about 2.5-3 stars, everyone does go on about how groundbreaking they are. Probably won’t read Looking for Alaska now

I probably hate John Green's books because I like realism and simple English. His books are definitely not realistic and let's not go into the language he uses in his writing🙄
Original post by NazifaNawer
I probably hate John Green's books because I like realism and simple English. His books are definitely not realistic and let's not go into the language he uses in his writing🙄

I will say I enjoyed Turtles all the way down. Can't remember why it worked for me when his other works haven't but maybe give it a try?
Reply 23
Shirley by Charlotte Bronte is... boring. Very boring. Gave up about 300 pages in during an excruciatingly detailed description of a village fete. And marrying your first cousin is quite weird.
Original post by Sinnoh
Shirley by Charlotte Bronte is... boring. Very boring. Gave up about 300 pages in during an excruciatingly detailed description of a village fete. And marrying your first cousin is quite weird.
Don't read Frankenstein then. lol Honestly though don't let a certain relationship put you off, Frankenstein is honestly an amazing book. Much better than any movie that has ever been made of the source material.
Reply 25
Original post by Schnauzerquester
Don't read Frankenstein then. lol Honestly though don't let a certain relationship put you off, Frankenstein is honestly an amazing book. Much better than any movie that has ever been made of the source material.

Oh I read Frankenstein for GCSE, I liked it. I only made a point of this because Jane Eyre also nearly marries her cousin. But isn't Elizabeth only Victor's cousin in the 1818 version?
Original post by Schnauzerquester
I will say I enjoyed Turtles all the way down. Can't remember why it worked for me when his other works haven't but maybe give it a try?
Hm ok I'll try it this year. Thanks for the recommendation!
Original post by Sinnoh
Oh I read Frankenstein for GCSE, I liked it. I only made a point of this because Jane Eyre also nearly marries her cousin. But isn't Elizabeth only Victor's cousin in the 1818 version?
Not sure actually on the latter point. If I'm remembering doesn't Jane Eyre not have any prior knowledge/relationship with her cousin? So it sort of makes it easier to not feel that the relationship is 'wrong'? Compared with how in Frankenstien they grew up together quite closely? Personally doesn't really bother me either way, as it's fiction but that's just how I feel about it.
i absolutely hated my side of the mountain - so extremely dull
same for wind in the willows
Divergent. I read it when I was 12 and it was about as enjoyable as being dragged face-first down a gravel driveway. A neutered, lobotomised Hunger Games clone in a sea of neutered, lobotomised Hunger Games clones, and it still manages to sink to the bottom. You take a Buzzfeed Hogwarts House quiz and that determines your career path. That is genuinely the plot synopsis. An absurd amount of time is devoted to the protagonist's lack of tits. I do not know why. It is mentioned so often that it is the only thing I can remember about her. I wish I remembered nothing.
Reply 30
Original post by NameUserer
Divergent. I read it when I was 12 and it was about as enjoyable as being dragged face-first down a gravel driveway. A neutered, lobotomised Hunger Games clone in a sea of neutered, lobotomised Hunger Games clones, and it still manages to sink to the bottom. You take a Buzzfeed Hogwarts House quiz and that determines your career path. That is genuinely the plot synopsis. An absurd amount of time is devoted to the protagonist's lack of tits. I do not know why. It is mentioned so often that it is the only thing I can remember about her. I wish I remembered nothing.
Divergent is way too overhyped I agree! I found book 1 ok, book 2 such a drag to get through. Book 3 I gave up after 50 pages.

It is a really stupid concept too when you think of it. 'We need to be put into categories of being only one thing to stop fighting'. Uhhhh segregation never stopped fighting, and it's not even like they genetically were more of a personality. It's just whatever scale they tipped too most on the day. I'd have understood it more if the scientists actually MADE them more like one of the houses, but it was as you said a personality test.

SPOILER BELOW

Spoiler

Shadow and Bone.
I very excitedly picked up the first two of the trilogy after loving the heck out of Six of Crows. I was so hyped to read it and I think that just made the letdown 600 times worse. This whole thing was written like a wattpad mary-sue-OC-insert grishaverse fanfic written by a goth 12 year old from 2013.
I've never been sadder about a book being bad in my life.
(edited 1 month ago)
Divergent is way too overhyped I agree! I found book 1 ok, book 2 such a drag to get through. Book 3 I gave up after 50 pages.
It is a really stupid concept too when you think of it. 'We need to be put into categories of being only one thing to stop fighting'. Uhhhh segregation never stopped fighting, and it's not even like they genetically were more of a personality. It's just whatever scale they tipped too most on the day. I'd have understood it more if the scientists actually MADE them more like one of the houses, but it was as you said a personality test.
SPOILER BELOW

Spoiler

plsss i was so mad when tris beat out katniss (unfairly) in the 2014 mtv awards 😭😭 i hate divergent sm
Mark Twain. I've forced myself to read through several of his works for other hobbies/general knowledge and the only reason I got through them was because they were audiobooks.
His writing style grates for some reason I can't name, and especially through Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court I was reading it a page/a few minutes at a time because I just couldn't.
It's not a problem I've had with other classic authors of the period - like I can read all of a Jules Verne novel in a day, and Dickens is hardly an issue. But Twain? Nope. If I want to know Huckleberry Finn, I'll be reading the Cliff Notes
Original post by EstelOfTheEyrie
Mark Twain. I've forced myself to read through several of his works for other hobbies/general knowledge and the only reason I got through them was because they were audiobooks.
His writing style grates for some reason I can't name, and especially through Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court I was reading it a page/a few minutes at a time because I just couldn't.
It's not a problem I've had with other classic authors of the period - like I can read all of a Jules Verne novel in a day, and Dickens is hardly an issue. But Twain? Nope. If I want to know Huckleberry Finn, I'll be reading the Cliff Notes
argh, 20 thousand leagues was such a bore, but i'm totally with you on mark twain. huckleberry finn was :sleep:
SPOILER BELOW

Spoiler

Agree could not get into divergent at all
wouldn't go as far as to say hated but i didn't really like they both die in the end or the spanish love deception even though both of them were really recommended to me!
Reply 37
not nessecarly books
i love readin seires what p*** me off is the ending when they kill a character/s
that dont need to be
or ends in a bad cliffhanger
i didn't really like the little house on the prairie series either
As the title says - what is a book you hated? Popular or unpopular, and why?
For me it was Glass Sword, the secomd Red Queen book. I liked the first, the concept was good and enjoyable but by the second the mc had become INSUFFERABLE. She felt no remorse or guilt for what she did, but she'd always go on about her tough life and how she loses every other character. But gets over it? Also I felt no chemistry to either of the love interests - I'm not a love triangle person but both of them were boring.
might be controversial but harry potter and the cursed child. I LOVE the Harry Potter books and films but cursed child is so boring and confusing. I haven't watched the play on the premise that it will be boring and I wouldn't be able to follow and understand the plot line. Please let me know if you've read the book and watched the play and how they compare as I would love to know!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending