The Student Room Group

Can anyone explain Scottish Uni Offers please?

Hello!

I got my first offer about a week ago, and it was from Stirling University.

I am predicted 3 A's for A2 in May/June, however the offer Stirling gave me for studying Film, Media and Marketing was merely BB.

(which is good! it means it's less pressure!)

But what I would like to know is, is this a typical offer from a Scottish university given that Scottish students study Highers which operates a different system, or is this unusual to receive.

Sorry if this is a question constantly asked on TSR but I was curious.

Hope someone can shed some light on the subject, or if there's anyone out there with similar offers of 2 grades.

=D
Reply 1
Highers are at a lower level, roughly equivalent to AS. Some scottish unis would make offers for AAA or similar, but stirling is not that good, that'd be why your offer is so low.
Reply 2
Interesting explanation, but how come you say Stirling is not that good?

I thought the facilities for studying media/television/film were excellent, and the tutoring appeared very hands on and good too.

Hm?

I have applied Leeds, Stirling, Warwick, Loughborough.
Reply 3
Scottish Uni's set typical offers for Highers and A-Levels, you just need to work your way through their websites correctly.

And I've also been informed Stirling isn't a brilliant Uni, but I recommend Leeds, I have a friend who said Media is brilliant there.
Reply 4
Treben
Interesting explanation, but how come you say Stirling is not that good?

I thought the facilities for studying media/television/film were excellent, and the tutoring appeared very hands on and good too.

Hm?

I have applied Leeds, Stirling, Warwick, Loughborough.

Maybe it is for media/television/film, tbh I'm a scientist, I just know that the offers are pretty low and they'll take almost anyone with average grades. It's not horrific, it's an average kind of uni. Good place for sport apparently though.
Reply 5
I was there on open day and I was fairly impressed by the Pathfoot Building (the place where all the TV studios, radio broadcast rooms, news rooms etc were situated)

The Media section is also endorsed by Jon Snow of Channel 4 News, but I'm not sure how much that counts for, so take what you want from that.

They did explicitly say that for Media courses at Stirling they focused more on individual qualities based in personal statements rather than grades. I'm not after prestige, I'm after a really hands-on, practical course.

I noticed on the whole that Media courses all required lower grades than just about everything else.

I haven't visited Leeds yet however, but if I get an offer then I'll be going over for definite. Warwick and Lougborough offer more theoretical degrees. I mean, if I wanted my degree to "look better" I'd probably be wanting to go to Warwick, but the course content does not seem in the least bit appealing.

I applied through UCAS and just sent my GCSE/AS/A2(predictions) off to all the Uni's, I didn't even bother looking on their website. It's irrelevant anyway seeing as they sent me an offer.

I don't even know where Loughborough is tbh...
Reply 6
Treben
But what I would like to know is, is this a typical offer from a Scottish university given that Scottish students study Highers which operates a different system, or is this unusual to receive.

Don't get me wrong, Stirling is a fine university, but it's not got the highest entry requirements. That's nothing about it being Scottish, and there's nothing distinctly Scottish about entry requirements - there are massive numbers of students from other parts of the UK in Scottish institutions.

There is perhaps less demand for Scottish university places just by being a bit more remote and having more universities per capita than most places.

Hope someone can shed some light on the subject, or if there's anyone out there with similar offers of 2 grades.

I don't think it's particularly unusual to discount certain subjects when making offers. It's just a matter of demand and what the university wants from you.
Reply 7
Well Glasgow wants ABBB for highers and dundee wants BBBB but on St Andrews they want AAAA and Stirling wants BBCC

So really, stirling doesn't ask for much in the grand scheme of things :smile:

Latest