The Student Room Group

B in Core One... no oxbridge?!

Okay this might sound really stupid, but I'm not too sure how ucas works.

If I get baa (c1, c2, s1) in maths, overall A grade at AS and predicted A grade at A level with...

and then As in geography, french and chemistry, with perhaps a B in a chemistry module, but still AAAA in yr 12 and then AAA in yr 13..

will i have a chance of an interview at cambridge? Do they see your module marks? would it be a good idea to resit the B to get an A, or is do they hate resit people? Do they normally only give offers/ interviews to people with straight A grades in every module first time?

I would want to study Geography. 5A*s 8As GCSE.

So yeh... this is all hypothetical, but anyone with any knowledge, I'd be very appreciative!

cheers.

Scroll to see replies

My bro got a C for his AS chemistry, not just on one module, but overall.

He got into Cambridge (and resat and got an A, but got the offer before he resat).
a low grade in C1 shows you lack mental competence, as you cant use a calculator,
nevertheless they shouldnt be too bothered about it so give it a go
Reply 3
TheNightmareSSJ3Broly
a low grade in C1 shows you lack mental competence, as you cant use a calculator,

I don't 'lack mental competence'. I just hate surds. :p:
Reply 4
ArchedEdge
My bro got a C for his AS chemistry, not just on one module, but overall.

He got into Cambridge (and resat and got an A, but got the offer before he resat).

How long ago was that? Don't you have to show every unit mark nowadays? Like you used to be able to just put your predicted grades..? Am I right?
hazzypants

fair enough
You can resit it before you apply so its fine. From my experience they dont even ask about retakes either.
Reply 7
hazzypants

Haha, dont we all?:biggrin:
No, of course you're not going to go to Oxbridge, I mean, you got less than an A in the easiest module ever... detect the sarcasm?
Reply 9
Don't think so. I think that it would be worth a try to resit, just have to revise for a bit and by the time you do it you will be much better at maths in general anyway so you might get that A. I doubt that they really care although Cambridge is known to look a lot at the marks you got in the exams so I'm not 100% sure.
Reply 10
wanderlust.xx
No, of course you're not going to go to Oxbridge, I mean, you got less than an A in the easiest module ever... detect the sarcasm?

LOL; well I haven't actually got a B yet, I took the exam today, but it didn't go too well. Maybe I'm just being a bit paranoid! I just heard they want As in every single module you sit in all your AS and A2s! wanted to see if there's any truth in it.
Reply 11
They won't even let you into DMU with a B in core 1, why on earth are you thinking about Oxbridge?
/sarcasm.

But seriously forks, I got a B in S1 (but retook before applying and got 100 so meh :shifty:) and low As in C1,2,3,4, plus a C in a module of AS chemistry bringing the whole AS down to a B. Oh and a B in AS level Philosophy. And I still got pooled for Cambridge on their most oversubscribed year ever :p:.
I know someone who got a B overall in her AS Maths and she got in to Cambridge :smile: Go for it.
Reply 13
TheNightmareSSJ3Broly

No calculator in C1? Or at least with AQA there isn't.

PLus I don't think geeting a B in C1 shows mental incompetence :p:
OP, I think you would defo still have a chance! Or as much as anyone would!
Reply 14
Mithra
They won't even let you into DMU with a B in core 1, why on earth are you thinking about Oxbridge?
/sarcasm.

But seriously forks, I got a B in S1 (but retook before applying and got 100 so meh :shifty:) and low As in C1,2,3,4, plus a C in a module of AS chemistry bringing the whole AS down to a B. Oh and a B in AS level Philosophy. And I still got pooled for Cambridge on their most oversubscribed year ever :p:.

OKay so did you sit S1 first in january yr12, and then resat in june yr 12?

I haven't actually got a B yet, I think I have though, sat the exam today.

If I do, would you recommend a resit in June alongside my other two AS modules, or should I just do it next year? Then again that'll be after the application process has started!
I got a B in c1 and 2 and have an offer for english Yay!
hazzypants
Okay this might sound really stupid, but I'm not too sure how ucas works.

If I get baa (c1, c2, s1) in maths, overall A grade at AS and predicted A grade at A level with...

and then As in geography, french and chemistry, with perhaps a B in a chemistry module, but still AAAA in yr 12 and then AAA in yr 13..

will i have a chance of an interview at cambridge? Do they see your module marks? would it be a good idea to resit the B to get an A, or is do they hate resit people? Do they normally only give offers/ interviews to people with straight A grades in every module first time?

I would want to study Geography. 5A*s 8As GCSE.

So yeh... this is all hypothetical, but anyone with any knowledge, I'd be very appreciative!

cheers.

woohh calm down, its all okay .. my friend got an interview with AABB at AS so your fine, yes cambridge can look at module grades (not oxford-they dont ask for them) but they dont tend to look at them unless your doing maths. You got straight As overall so thats all they care about. youll be fine.. and good luck! although i must ask.. is this for admission next year.. because your too late this year...? x
p.s if you retake the module .. they wont know the grade until after they have made their decisions as retake results are in march and they decide before jan x
Reply 17
Unless you're applying for maths, you should be fine.
Reply 18
mizzsnazzter
woohh calm down, its all okay .. my friend got an interview with AABB at AS so your fine, yes cambridge can look at module grades (not oxford-they dont ask for them) but they dont tend to look at them unless your doing maths. You got straight As overall so thats all they care about. youll be fine.. and good luck! although i must ask.. is this for admission next year.. because your too late this year...? x
p.s if you retake the module .. they wont know the grade until after they have made their decisions as retake results are in march and they decide before jan x

hello, thank you for the words of encouragement:p:

OKay... i've calmed a bit. This is all hypothetical.. I sat my C1 today... result in march... I'm only in Y12. I'm only stressing cos people kept saying today about for oxbridge you need As in absolutely everything! I'd go for entry in 2010, perhaps 2011 if I defer or have a gap year.
Chill, if you're going for Geography they won't mind about C1. I've just been through the application process and NO you don't have to fill in module results, especially if you're going to resit them in the future. Basically the rule is you have to put down modules you have cashed in and got proper certificates for (personal example, my geography mods from AS after I dropped it) and for the rest it's personal choice, so you can put down all mods which make you look good and don't put others, they may clock on to you resitting it but at least they don't know how ''badly'' in your eyes you did. That's my interpretation for all subjects as well, not just Maths. Hope that helped and if you did C1 and C2 today (i'm just guessing your in y12 as you're talking about as grades) then believe me there's still time before the serious stuff of offers, applications and interviews, enjoy while it lasts while you can. Although it might be a good idea to start looking at departmental open days if you can.

Latest