The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Millmill

Jeez, I was asking for opinions on King's, not my whole life plan! I've been doing work constantly, and how is Law not essay based?! It comes back to this ridiulous stigma attached to a level law! Every single person that slags it off knows **** all about it!

Listen, you have a chance. If they say on their website that they may make offers based on 2 A levels and 3 AS ones, then of course you have a chance. This is the less pleasant bit, you will be up against people with very very good results ie. 3,4,5 As at AS. Don't put all your eggs in one basket. Yes you have a chance, but the competition is fierce at KCL, especially for a course like English. If you feel the need to clarify anything then it's best to email KCL directly, they will be more informed than us. Good luck with your application. :smile:

Mrs.X

The English department at Kings sucks compared to their regular standards.

Explain much?
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Millmill
Firstly, sacrifice, and I know I'm not in the best position as last year was ****** up by being thrown out of my family home and abused by my ex. I didn't expect to be told I had an amazing chance, but I dont particularly appreciate being told that I only have one good A level, and that I should get a better qualifications. This is my 3rd year at 6th form, so really it would be pretty ridiculous.

Jeez, I was asking for opinions on King's, not my whole life plan! I've been doing work constantly, and how is Law not essay based?! It comes back to this ridiulous stigma attached to a level law! Every single person that slags it off knows **** all about it!

If you want opinions don't be so rude. We don't know your situation and are trying to help.
And, yes it may be a "hard" a level, but the admission tutors must know a BIT about it for them to reject it or regard it as "less-worthy", even though tbh only LSE and Cambridge have a strict black-list of A levels
Reply 22
+epic
they arent the most respected subjects OP, the only good one being English Lit. Plus you only have 2 A Levels. It may be better to do another year of A Levels to finish English Language and Law to A Level, and then take up history AS, or an essay based subejct that is respected.

You did say I only had one good one. It's just really annoying that I'm trying so hard and it wasnt even my fault that i couldnt finish last year! And i did say about mitigating circumstances in the OP anyway.

I apologize if you think I was being rude, but I thought you were too presumptious, and maybe unintentionally offensive. I'm sorry for reacting so angrily but its just really hard to carry on doing all this work when I keep getting told that its pointless by certain qualification snobs :frown: I didn't mean to be so rude I'm just so stressed at the moment, sorry :erm:

Thanks for your advice
EDIT: ignore my post :smile:
Reply 24
zef99
Listen, you have a chance. If they say on their website that they may make offers based on 2 A levels and 3 AS ones, then of course you have a chance. This is the less pleasant bit, you will be up against people with very very good results ie. 3,4,5 As at AS. Don't put all your eggs in one basket. Yes you have a chance, but the competition is fierce at KCL, especially for a course like English. If you feel the need to clarify anything then it's best to email KCL directly, they will be more informed than us. Good luck with your application. :smile:

Thank you! I completely accept that it is highly unlikely to get an offer, I was just a bit upset by the whole all your subjects are **** kill yourself stuff. I obviously know that there are zillions of people with better qualifications and way more chance, but I didnt want to be told that everything I've done so far has been effectively a waste of time :frown:
Reply 25
Millmill
You did say I only had one good one. It's just really annoying that I'm trying so hard and it wasnt even my fault that i couldnt finish last year! And i did say about mitigating circumstances in the OP anyway.

I apologize if you think I was being rude, but I thought you were too presumptious, and maybe unintentionally offensive. I'm sorry for reacting so angrily but its just really hard to carry on doing all this work when I keep getting told that its pointless by certain qualification snobs :frown: I didn't mean to be so rude I'm just so stressed at the moment, sorry :erm:

Thanks for your advice

hey its ok :p: no I know you must be working your ass off! sorry about the only good subject thing. what i meant was that it is the most respected :smile:
anyway, there is no problem going for it! Just make sure you have an amazing PS which includes loads of background reading and which shows your passion for the subject. :smile:
Reply 26
Millmill
Thank you! I completely accept that it is highly unlikely to get an offer, I was just a bit upset by the whole all your subjects are **** kill yourself stuff. I obviously know that there are zillions of people with better qualifications and way more chance, but I didnt want to be told that everything I've done so far has been effectively a waste of time :frown:

of COURSE it hasnt been a waste of time! You will have an amazing time wherever you end up!! It wont be the end of the road being rejected by kings, there are placs like southamption and liecester etc. that ask for slightly lower grades yet are still good degrees :biggrin: just have faith that you will have a good time wherever and as long as you are happy thats all that matters!
Reply 27
Thank you, I'm sorry for being a bitch, i feel really bad now (except higgy90:catfight: this means war).

Sorry!
Reply 28
Millmill
Thank you, I'm sorry for being a bitch, i feel really bad now (except higgy90:catfight: this means war).

Sorry!

k :fight:

I surrender!
:france:
Reply 29
Higgy90
k :fight:

I surrender!
:france:

And English is a real degree you douche bag.

Only losers do mechanical engineering :yep:
Hey, I was kind of in a similar position to you :smile:

I had to leave my AS sixth form due to certain circumstances and ended up at a crap college for my A2 year. So from doing 5 AS levels, I could only carry on 3 at A2 (they wouldnt let me do the others), and they were English Lang and Lit, Business Studies and General Studies( :shifty: ).. so basically only one fairly respectable A-level there.

Anyway the point is, I just decided that for now I was stuck with them, and despite having even more problems that year, I worked really hard - like you are :smile: - and came out with ABB, and I'm doing A2 History this year, and one English re-sit, so if all goes well I'll have AAAB, which is a big difference from last year!

I wouldn't dream of applying to KCL because it's far too prestigious for me, but I am applying to some reasonably good universities - something I didn't even think about doing last year. If you really want it then go for it - it will be hard work but I'm sure you could pull it off, particularly as they've mentioned your mitigating circumstances.

You're allowed a bit of a ''risky'' uni choice anyway, so go for it! :smile: Good luck. x
Reply 31
oo_Lucinda_oo
Hey, I was kind of in a similar position to you :smile:

I had to leave my AS sixth form due to certain circumstances and ended up at a crap college for my A2 year. So from doing 5 AS levels, I could only carry on 3 at A2 (they wouldnt let me do the others), and they were English Lang and Lit, Business Studies and General Studies( :shifty: ).. so basically only one fairly respectable A-level there.

Anyway the point is, I just decided that for now I was stuck with them, and despite having even more problems that year, I worked really hard - like you are :smile: - and came out with ABB, and I'm doing A2 History this year, and one English re-sit, so if all goes well I'll have AAAB, which is a big difference from last year!

I wouldn't dream of applying to KCL because it's far too prestigious for me, but I am applying to some reasonably good universities - something I didn't even think about doing last year. If you really want it then go for it - it will be hard work but I'm sure you could pull it off, particularly as they've mentioned your mitigating circumstances.

You're allowed a bit of a ''risky'' uni choice anyway, so go for it! :smile: Good luck. x

Thank you!! It's so nice to hear someone being positive for a change :smile: good luck with your application too! x
Reply 32
I got an interview so at least they didnt completely reject me!
Reply 33
Millmill

well done, it means they're seriously considering you. now read up and impress. good luck :smile:
Reply 34
Millmill

I'm a bit late to the thread, but good luck!

Latest