The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Edinburgh does seem to be a bit more expensive, mind you at least there is no ELQ to worry about as that can add 5 or 6 thou on to fees.:eek: Edin seems to be one of these places that is expensive for everything, esp housing.

I have applied to Edin and Durham for MSW but have just found out about this Elq business they have in England. What are you planning to do?
Reply 2
I'm thinking of applying to KCL, Newcastle, Edinburgh, UEA, Manchester and Sussex for an MA in Linguistics. I'm having big trouble atm, as I cannot narrow down the list. Seems like everyone's doing their masters in other fields of study, so I got no opinions on the matter :frown:
Reply 3
Yes it's hard to make a decision on best places, I applied to edin, glasgow caledonian, stirling and durham for social work.

I have withdrawn from Stirling and poss will from Glas too, it's really between Durham and Edin for me. I don't know anything about Linguistics but I know Edinburgh very well so if you don't come from Edin and need to ask anything about it..
Reply 4
I've been to Edinburgh and it's a fantastic city!! On the other hand I would like to spend a year in London too..so it all has to come down to course quality I guess! I wish somenone would say 'go there, the others are crap' lol
Reply 5
I know what you mean, I have lived in Edin for 15 yrs and still love it here but Durham seems like a fantastic uni and the SW dept have been really friendly so I wish I could go to Durham and live in Edin.

Have you got your offers? the good thing is that eventually you have to pick two so that should help ( a bit ). Edin is good because it's not a huge city and you get to know a lot of people, I like the way you can meet people in the city centre you know, it's not too anonymous but big enough for variety. Edinburgh can be pricey for housing (not as much as London) but you can get around the city centre by foot and most student places are close to uni.

I love London too, it has such an exciting buzz and has absolutely everything as well as great links to Europe.
Reply 6
I haven't started applying yet.. :s-smilie:
(Well I have applied to Oxford, but that doesn't count haha)

I know I shouldn't be thinking about the best place to party as it's postgraduate study, but don't wanna spend a year in a crappy city either. I survived in Luton for 6 months when I was an undergrad..:biggrin:

I think it's nice and quite an experience getting away from your hometown to study. :smile:
Reply 7
I've applied to Edinburgh but doubt I'll get in, I've spent a bit of time their but never lived there. It feels really small though, but it's lovely.

Latest

Trending

Trending