The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

francescarella
thats really odd. my bf is 1st year medic there and he has loads of PBL:s-smilie:

Sorry, you missed my edit. There is some PBL, but it doesn't seem to be the main part of the course as it is at some places e.g Peninsula. According to their prospectus it's mainly lecture based till clincals.
Democracy
Sorry, you missed my edit. There is some PBL, but it doesn't seem to be the main part of the course as it is at some places e.g Peninsula. According to their prospectus it's mainly lecture based till clincals.

ah right that makes more sense now:five:
alexander2015
Anyone in the medical world or of any education would have heard of Barts.
It is the oldest functioning hospital in the world having been started in 1123.

Barts is internationally renowned, my cousin was at John Hopkins in the US and none of them had heard of Imperial or any of their hospitals, but everyone knew what Barts was.

Added to the fact that The London is having the largest hospital in London/UK opening in the next few years it would be a ridiculous choice to reject it.

I'm not so sure about its fame, I only heard of it after getting offers for medical school. Admittedly not looking at anything within the M25 will have hindered it making an impact, though I still know next to nothing about it.
If you are seriously considering rejecting a place in Medicine because it is not at your preferred University then your love of the course is seriously deficient and you may want to consider whether Medicine is actually for you or not.
Reply 84
alexander2015
Anyone in the medical world or of any education would have heard of Barts.
It is the oldest functioning hospital in the world having been started in 1123.

Barts is internationally renowned, my cousin was at John Hopkins in the US and none of them had heard of Imperial or any of their hospitals, but everyone knew what Barts was.

Added to the fact that The London is having the largest hospital in London/UK opening in the next few years it would be a ridiculous choice to reject it.

The Royal London is amazing! I would have applied Barts if it wasn't PBL :'(
Apparently its going to be the biggest in Europe too!
Reply 85
Nicolish
Apparently its going to be the biggest in Europe too!

Still apply. You might like PBL. Not to mention that they still have lectures. :eek:
Reply 86
Nicolish
What's wrong with PBL?
Reply 87
Renal
What's wrong with PBL?

totally irrelevant, but how are you feeling towards your finals? Prepared?
Reply 88
Baki
Still apply. You might like PBL. Not to mention that they still have lectures. :eek:

If I get all rejections I might consider it for next application.
PBL isnt tooo bad I guess but also I want to get out of London and Kings basically guarenteed me an interview with either A100 or EMDP.
Reply 89
Renal
What's wrong with PBL?

Ah it doesnt seem for me.....
too much emphasis on group work maybe and intergrated seems to suit me more.

Yeah I know I haven't really justified my answer.....:frown:
Reply 90
Nicolish
Ah it doesnt seem for me.....
too much emphasis on group work maybe and intergrated seems to suit me more.

Yeah I know I haven't really justified my answer.....:frown:

So in that multi-disciplinary team of the NHS, where "group" work is pretty imperative, you'll just play the solitude card?
Kinkerz
So in that multi-disciplinary team of the NHS, where "group" work is pretty imperative, you'll just play the solitude card?

PBL is also a lot more self directed...maybe it's just not her preferred way of learning. No need to have a go.
Reply 92
Democracy
PBL is also a lot more self directed...maybe it's just not her preferred way of learning. No need to have a go.

I wasn't having a go :s-smilie:

I just think saying that something's too group orientated is a bit of a piss-poor excuse. Especially when PBL isn't all that group orientated (or at least to my knowledge) and in medicine you're going to be working in groups your whole career.
Kinkerz

I just think saying that something's too group orientated is a bit of a piss-poor excuse. Especially when PBL isn't all that group orientated (or at least to my knowledge) and in medicine you're going to be working in groups your whole career.

Sorry, maybe I was just over-sensitive but it sounded like you were being unnecessarily sarky. And it is quite group orientated no? Obviously as I said there's a lot of self directed work but there's also a lot of group work too. Besides, how someone prefers to learn doesn't necessarily affect how well they'll work does it?
Reply 94
Democracy
Sorry, maybe I was just over-sensitive but it sounded like you were being unnecessarily sarky. And it is quite group orientated no? Obviously as I said there's a lot of self directed work but there's also a lot of group work too. Besides, how someone prefers to learn doesn't necessarily affect how well they'll work does it?

No, not necessarily. I just think being "anti-group-work" is not a great sign, given that teamwork's pretty vital.
Reply 95
Kinkerz
No, not necessarily. I just think being "anti-group-work" is not a great sign, given that teamwork's pretty vital.

Never said anything about anti-group work. I said the course has too much emphasis on group work as opposed to intergraded. When I'm in pre-clinical I want more lectures when I'm getting my foundation knowledge on which everything else is based. I would feel more confident.
Why? Because in my crap school I've had bad experiences of group work.
As for working...
thats 1. Totally different 2. 5+ years away - plenty of time to change views.
Reply 96
Nicolish
Never said anything about anti-group work. I said the course has too much emphasis on group work as opposed to intergraded. When I'm in pre-clinical I want more lectures when I'm getting my foundation knowledge on which everything else is based. I would feel more confident.
Why? Because in my crap school I've had bad experiences of group work.
As for working...
thats 1. Totally different 2. 5+ years away - plenty of time to change views.

Fair enough. Just what I interpreted from your post.
Reply 97
motiv3
totally irrelevant, but how are you feeling towards your finals? Prepared?
I guess we'll see...
Kinkerz

Frankly what I had read of PBL on paper bears no resemblance to how it works out on what little we do here.

Its a complete and utter waste of time, that serves to teach little other than slightly more imaginative excuse making, and when to know its time to buy the rest of your group doughnuts to make up for having done sweet FA.

PBL simply ends in truely biblical amounts of time being spent deciding firstly what will be looked at, then who will look at which bit, followed by when you will all meet do discuss it. The vast majority of the work always ends up being done by two people, and none of it is relevant to the course, and what you need to know for exams.

The whole thing about it teaching teamwork is a non argument, you learn teamwork from drinking games in the union, PBL teaches you that teams are a ******* awful way to learn unless everyone in the team wants to learn that way.

As such, if you think PBL is for you by all means apply somewhere with PBL, but expect half the group to find it a complete waste of time, and hate every minute of it.
River85
:nope: Imperial isn't part of the University of London anymore and UCL award their own degrees (not sure about medical degrees). Still, I take your point. Med schools, in terms of quality, are equal. Name means nothing.

UCL med, like the rest of UCL, award their own degrees (MBBS(UCL)).

I will say regarding the FY1 application blinding thing, that it's not totally blind. All of the FPA markers that I have spoken to told me that they are biased towards their own students, and we were encouraged to slip our medical school name into every white space answer if we were applying to NCTFS.

All medical schools probably aren't equal, but there is only a small amount of (somewhat flawed) evidence to support this (and I suspect that it's in medical school's and the public's best interest that the research isn't carried out).

Renal
What's wrong with PBL?

I'm far too lazy to have benefited from it during preclins. I much preferred the "being talked at while I doodled and chatted" method.

Latest

Trending

Trending