The Student Room Group

Revision Notes

Ok, basically.. I am unsure of what type of notes to make. It's Tuesday and I have done basically no revision at all. I am scared because my goal is to get at least 5 A*. I do only 8 subjects.
I am making my own notes, but I just want extra notes etc to use.
Thanks!

I am doing:
Aqa English Lang+Lit
Aqa RE Spec B Unit 2 and 4
Geography Spec A Aqa
Edexcel Math Linear

These are really the only classes I need notes help on because I am completely stuck :frown:. (other 2 are science.. i can manage those)

Thanks!

oh and forgot to say: DT Product Design.. this is impossible to revise for! I have a book.. but it has so much stuff.. i am unsure if I even need to learn this. (AQA btw)
Nobody can really tell you how to write notes it all depends on what works for you really, some prefer images other prefer text.

Pull the important bits out of textbooks, I think its something like on 20% of the information we actually need!
Reply 2
A technique that works for me is to not just write notes, but write questions on the notes you've written, so ur both learning and applying your knowledge at the same time.

Good luck in ur exams.
Reply 3
the remaing 80% is our own analysis I am guessing?

I want people to share their notes.. I know its different for everyone.. but maybe its can be of use

and thanks for the advice to the person above.

maybe you can share your notes on any of these subjects.. or in fact in any subject at all :smile:
First off may I ask how your post count says 100,000?

Anyhow, making your own notes is much better than reading someone elses. Much better if you want to remember more.

May I ask what topics you are studying in Geography? The AQA Spec A has like 12 topics but you only normally do like 5 or 6.
goji09
A technique that works for me is to not just write notes, but write questions on the notes you've written, so ur both learning and applying your knowledge at the same time.

Good luck in ur exams.

Honestly, you should have found a technique before cuz now you're most probably stressing about how to revise, anyway...

I summarise everything into 1-3 pages as a mindmap(s), make questions on it like goji09 and keep going through it as much as I can. Do LOTS LOTS LOTS of practice papers
I just had an Idea - How about setting up a site where you can share your notes?
Reply 7
Kingbradley6
First off may I ask how your post count says 100,000?

Anyhow, making your own notes is much better than reading someone elses. Much better if you want to remember more.

May I ask what topics you are studying in Geography? The AQA Spec A has like 12 topics but you only normally do like 5 or 6.

No, no I wasn't planning on reading off other people's notes.. I just wanted to see what they had down, of course I am going to make my own notes..

my plan is to look at the specification, look at text book/bitesize whatever.. find the areas that fulfill the specification.. write down in note form the related stuff.

for geography I am doing:

Population, Rivers and Landscape, Tectonics, Coastal Landscapes, Energy, resources and management, Industry, and Tourism.

My post count is 100,000 because I am special :P. no really, on your location thing.. just hit space.. write 'post' and put a number.. and use the hide post option somewhere in that page.
Ohh exactly the same topics as me :biggrin:

Well I can type some of them out but I'm afraid I haven't got patience to type all of my notes out so they're very brief. Here is two sets of notes...

Population:

- Sparsely populated - too cold, dry or mountainous, life is uncomfortable, soils pool, bad access.

e.g. Arctic, Sahara Desert, Himalayas, Afghanistan

- Densely populated - rich in resources, lots of work, good climate, fertile lowland.

e.g. UK, Singapore

- Demographic Transition Model shows birth rate, death rate and natural increase. It has four main stages with a fifth stage if needed.

- Increasing population - good medical facilities, good sewage works, lack of contraception, early marriages.

- Decreasing population - women get job opportunities, emphasis on family planning, later marriages, dependency to have more children to look after parents.

Some examples:

- China's One Child Policy rewards those with only one child but fines those with more. Effective but causes some girls to become 'missing' as parents want boys not girls.
- French Government discourages contraception and has tax incentives to increase their population (which is starting to decrease).

- Migration: Immigration (entering) & Emmigration (leaving)

- Transmigration such as Indonesia and the Island of Java becoming too populated especially capital Jakarta. Government uses job incentives to move people out to other islands.

- Push factors - low wages, no jobs, bad life, conflict, natural hazard.

- Pull factors - high wages, lots of jobs, good lifestyle, stable government, good environment.

e.g. Mexicans migrating to USA, Poles migrating to UK.

Tectonics:

- Shield volcano - basic lava (runny), frequent less violent eruptions, gentle slopes, usually found on constructive margins.

e.g. Mauna Loa in Hawaii

- Composite Cone Volcano - acid lava (viscous due to high silica content), alternate layers of ash and lava, steep slopes, usually on destructive margins.

e.g. Mount St Helens in USA (which last erupted 18th May 1980)

- Areas with volcanoes have good fertile soil which is why many people live near them.

- Whereas volcano eruptions are quite easy to predict, earthquakes are much harder and can only be anticipated roughly.

- Earthquakes are measured on the Richter scale.

- Primary effects: Collapsing buildings

- Secondary effects: Fire, Tsunamis, Landslides, Disease & Famine

e.g Kobe in Japan (occured on 17 January 1995 - 7.2 on Richter scale)

- Earth made up from Crust, Mantle, Outer & Inner Core.

- Convection currents cause plates to move as hot molten iron forms a current in mantle 'dragging' plates with it.

- 4 types of boundary (you may know them by different names):

- Destructive where two plates collide, e.g. Nazca & South American plate

- Constructive where two plates move apart, e.g. North American & Eurasian plate (Mid-Atlantic ridge)

- Conservative where two plates move side by side, e.g. San Andreas fault

- Collision margin where two Continental crust plates collide forming fold mountains, e.g. Himilayas

- Other type of crust is Oceanic crust which is much more dense.
Reply 9
Aw. right. You're using basically the same method I am.. (haven't done it for geo.. just started for RE)

um. have you started revising yet?
I haven't started revising. Everyones asking me if I have and I'm just like... =\

I did make RS notes today. Toooooo God damn many =(
But I make mine colourful, underline things that are important and (because I'm a perfectionist) make it really nicely layed out and colour co-ordinated (now I sound like a freak).

It helps me when I come to reading my notes because then (for example) I know all the underlined stuff is important, and I know all the (say) pink coloured sections are one topic, whilst blue is another.. etc.

:rolleyes:
God knows what you want help with but here's some notes I got for factorising.
Kingbradley6

Well I can type some of them out but I'm afraid I haven't got patience to type all of my notes out so they're very brief. Here is two sets of notes...

Population:

- Sparsely populated - too cold, dry or mountainous, life is uncomfortable, soils pool, bad access.

e.g. Arctic, Sahara Desert, Himalayas, Afghanistan

- Densely populated - rich in resources, lots of work, good climate, fertile lowland.

e.g. UK, Singapore

- Demographic Transition Model shows birth rate, death rate and natural increase. It has four main stages with a fifth stage if needed.

- Increasing population - good medical facilities, good sewage works, lack of contraception, early marriages.

- Decreasing population - women get job opportunities, emphasis on family planning, later marriages, dependency to have more children to look after parents.

Some examples:

- China's One Child Policy rewards those with only one child but fines those with more. Effective but causes some girls to become 'missing' as parents want boys not girls.
- French Government discourages contraception and has tax incentives to increase their population (which is starting to decrease).

- Migration: Immigration (entering) & Emmigration (leaving)

- Transmigration such as Indonesia and the Island of Java becoming too populated especially capital Jakarta. Government uses job incentives to move people out to other islands.

- Push factors - low wages, no jobs, bad life, conflict, natural hazard.

- Pull factors - high wages, lots of jobs, good lifestyle, stable government, good environment.

e.g. Mexicans migrating to USA, Poles migrating to UK.

Tectonics:

- Shield volcano - basic lava (runny), frequent less violent eruptions, gentle slopes, usually found on constructive margins.

e.g. Mauna Loa in Hawaii

- Composite Cone Volcano - acid lava (viscous due to high silica content), alternate layers of ash and lava, steep slopes, usually on destructive margins.

e.g. Mount St Helens in USA (which last erupted 18th May 1980)

- Areas with volcanoes have good fertile soil which is why many people live near them.

- Whereas volcano eruptions are quite easy to predict, earthquakes are much harder and can only be anticipated roughly.

- Earthquakes are measured on the Richter scale.

- Primary effects: Collapsing buildings

- Secondary effects: Fire, Tsunamis, Landslides, Disease & Famine

e.g Kobe in Japan (occured on 17 January 1995 - 7.2 on Richter scale)

- Earth made up from Crust, Mantle, Outer & Inner Core.

- Convection currents cause plates to move as hot molten iron forms a current in mantle 'dragging' plates with it.

- 4 types of boundary (you may know them by different names):

- Destructive where two plates collide, e.g. Nazca & South American plate

- Constructive where two plates move apart, e.g. North American & Eurasian plate (Mid-Atlantic ridge)

- Conservative where two plates move side by side, e.g. San Andreas fault

- Collision margin where two Continental crust plates collide forming fold mountains, e.g. Himilayas

- Other type of crust is Oceanic crust which is much more dense.

Further notes that you could use.

Kobe struck at 3:45 am, Over 5400 dead, 35,000 injured, the Hanshin expressway collapsed and the bullet train railway line severely damaged.
Kobe lies on Nojima fault. Severe disruptions to electricity and water supplies with over 1million homes affected. Industry giants like Mistibushi and Panasonic moved out from the area. Birth rate fell.

I don't know, I don't make notes and can pretty much recall exactly what is written in the textbook. Your notes seem to be lacking alot of information.
CityOfMyHeart
I haven't started revising. Everyones asking me if I have and I'm just like... =\

But I make mine colourful, underline things that are important and (because I'm a perfectionist) make it really nicely layed out and colour co-ordinated (now I sound like a freak).

It helps me when I come to reading my notes because then (for example) I know all the underlined stuff is important, and I know all the (say) pink coloured sections are one topic, whilst blue is another.. etc.

Aw pretty :p: .
Deep456
Aw pretty :p: .

Yeah I need colours to revise with, black bores me big time :rolleyes:
Reply 15
CityOfMyHeart

ooh. cool. you finished making the notes? Now I am starting to get really scared.. I made notes on 2 topics so far... I have so many more to go! arrgh! No revision yet. I need to get my head down... I get easily distracted.
Kingbradley6

Wow these notes are really good :smile: Thank you ever so much :smile:
Ihategcse
ooh. cool. you finished making the notes? Now I am starting to get really scared.. I made notes on 2 topics so far... I have so many more to go! arrgh! No revision yet. I need to get my head down... I get easily distracted.

nono don't get scared!
I started making RS notes yesterday because it's the ONLY subject I make notes for and I knew it was going to take me a bloody age and a half.

There's 19 topics, I've done 8 in two days. Hmm...
I don't really count it as revision because I'm just reading over stuff, not learning.

I haven't started any "learning" yet and I don't intend to for a bit. I'll get bored, it'll waste my time and when it comes to the exams, I'll want to do anything BUT revise.

Best of luck to you though :smile:
well i cant really tell you what to write,
but i suggest that when u are revising just write notes that will be easy for you to understand that way you can get it into your head.

and i got one last thing to say...

good luck with your exams :smile:

Latest