The Student Room Group

Gap Year Jobs

I've been working as a tele-sales agent in London for a while, recently quit because I ended up working more hours for less money (don't ask...!) and I'm having a really, really hard time looking for another job. 'Watching-TV-all-day' while making loads of enquiring phonecalls kind of hard time. I got my last one through a recruitment agency, but they really aren't being that helpful at the moment and the weeks are passing. I've tried responding to newspaper ads, don't have enough experience to be a waitress and would ideal;y love to earn more money than I did before....doing anything really....

I've been turned away from retail because of lack of experience (even though I worked in a charity shop for 6 months as part of DofE!), so I guess that's out....I used to make about £6-7 an hour on the phones and I'm prepared to work weekends/nights/etc; what did most people here do for working during their Gap year and how did they go about finding it? Any really good/bad ideas?

- 'S'
xxx
Reply 1
I'm looking for a six month full time job at the minute for my gap year. I think I might end up waitressing, at the place I currently work on Saturdays. I know its really difficult to find a job so I really sympathise with you!

Supermarkets are probably a good starting point. The wages aren't good but you generally don't need experience and they're always needing staff. Bar work - again, a lot of places will take you on without experience. Don't phone, go round and ask. Its a lot easier for people to fob you off on the phone.

Go to your local job centre and see what they have on offer...I've never tried it but it can't do any harm! I know people who have made a lot of money working in factories as well - one guy stacking toilet roll. :smile: Do you have any contacts through your parents or friends? Anyone who owns a small shop or cafe, or manages a company? If so, they might be willing to take you on because they know you despite lack of experience (this has happened to me three times)!

Good luck job hunting - I know how you feel!
Reply 2
www.reed.co.uk - They are like the best recruitment agency in the country and it's all done online. You cna either look for jobs or you can subscribe with them, list the type of jobs you are looking for and stare at your inbox until you get mail from them about an avalibale position. It's great, I've applied for liek 40 jobs already for my gap year, got some interviews set up so it's all good. Job hunting isnt difficult at all if you know where and how to do it. :biggrin:
Reply 3
Join the Territorial army.

Latest