The Student Room Group

Is it possible to apply to US to start in Jan 2010?

I believe it is too late for me to apply to start in Sep 2009 for US study, more so because I haven't done any SATs. However, I was wondering if it is possible to actually start US university in Jan 2010?

It is quite complicated and due to different reasons, but basically the US just became a possibility for me right now. My parents said they wouldn't mind if I took a gap year and went in Sep 2010, but the reason I ask about Jan 2010 is because I do IB. When I've been searching US courses, I found that I get a lot of credit because I do IB. I'm not familiar with the US system and credit, but I thought that if I get credit would that be enough credit to be able to skip Sep-Dec 2009, therefore starting in Jan 2010?

As I said, I do IB and I will take my exams this May. Thus I will get my results in July so if I did apply for entry in Jan 2010 I would be applying with my actual grades. I also have never done any SATs, nor do I want to do any, thus would applying to US universities either in Jan 2010 or Sep 2010 with only final IB grades and no SATs be acceptable (in the sense that I could get accepted).
Reply 1
Hmm...it all depends on where. It's much more difficult to get into any even remotely selective school if you're applying for the second semester of your first year. You definitely have no chance of getting in anywhere with an acceptance rate of under 50%.

True, you will get credit for IB, but two things.

1) Schools are much pickier about giving credit for IBs than APs.

2) It doesn't work like you "skip a semester." In general, you need 120/121 credit hours to graduate. The typical COURSELOAD is 15 hours per semester, which is where the 4 years comes from. However, if you end up with the required number of credit hours early, then you can graduate early. I myself am on track to graduate in three years, because I had AP credits and I've taken 16 and 17 credit hours per semester.

And no. You absolutely need to take the SAT.

Fire away with any more questions.

Latest

Trending

Trending