The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
_ Addie
Went to state school. My french teacher looked over my personal statement for any obvious errors. Mock interviews were only for Oxford/Cambridge applicants. In the end I used TSR and NMM for general advice & to look for more specific info on each course I had applied for.

You had your french teacher look at it :confused: Did you write it in french lol! Suppose her grammer would be quite good :yep:

I went to a state grammar
-I had my personal statement checked by some random old teacher, who just told me what to take out and any spelling mistakes.
-I also had a mock interview with some mums' of students (they had some sort of health related occupation)
-My school librarian also held weekly medical question night, which he basically asked us some medically questions. Towards the interview times all the students shared our experiences with each other :biggrin:

I didn't get family help because they didn't want me to into medicine so I went at it alone :frown: but I've got an offer so im happy :smile:
I went to a state school, and first time round really got no help at all apart from my family looking at my personal statement. When I applied again for this cycle I used the F.E. College I did my Chemistry A-level at, and got some help re-wording my PS so it would be short enough, with a bit of advice on interviews and things from the careers advisor. Other than that it was all up to me.
can people please stop begging for sympathy just because they went to a state school. it hardly makes a difference.
Isometrix
can people please stop begging for sympathy just because they went to a state school. it hardly makes a difference.

I ain't begging, I'm just telling the truth. In all honesty my school was a right dump but I liked it there alot, was very good fun.
Isometrix

I went to a state school, and on what I have seen thus far in this thread I had the most advantages.
Reply 25
Isometrix

I'm going to go ahead and disagree.

(PS: You saw no 'begging for sympathy' coming from my post.)
Reply 26
Kinkerz
I'm going to go ahead and disagree.

(PS: You saw no 'begging for sympathy' coming from my post.)

snap.
First time:
MASSIVE State School
PS checked by everyone under the sun
Mock interview
Ucas checked through by Careers Advisor
Reference written by all teachers

Outcome: 1 Interview, 4 rejections

Second time:
All by myself

Outcome: 3 Interviews, 2 Offers

Sometimes 'help' doesn't really help in any way
Reply 28
s_s
My boyfriend (poor state school):
- One of only two medics in large year
- PS not checked
- No mock interview
- Didn't even consider applying to Oxbridge because it wasn't discussed at his school
- Didn't take BMAT even though it was needed for one of his choices because he wasn't told/aware it existed (automatic rejection).

Gah!

I'm on the 'going to a private school gives you an advantage' side of things, but even so, not doing research and taking everything your school says or doesn't say at face value are foolish things to do. Very foolish.

My school didn't even know about the UKCAT, never mind the BMAT, but I still went onto university web pages and realised that it was a requirement. The careers advisor basically dismissed you if you weren't applying for an apprentiship and never comes down to the sixth form building. Though that was probably more of an advantage for me, I know much more than that old crow about admissions anyway. I was pretty much the only prospective medic (there was one girl, but she didn't do chemistry A-level and applied to foundation courses, not sure whether she got in) and I got no guidance whatsoever. Did that stop me from using the internet and finding things like NMM and TSR? No.

Not doing your own research and blaming your school for not getting in is idiotic. I'm not actually saying your boyfriend purely blames his school, but incase he does, the previous statement stands.
Reply 29
TwoTimesTwo
First time:
MASSIVE State School
PS checked by everyone under the sun
Mock interview
Ucas checked through by Careers Advisor
Reference written by all teachers

Outcome: 1 Interview, 4 rejections

Second time:
All by myself

Outcome: 3 Interviews, 2 Offers

Sometimes 'help' doesn't really help in any way

Or, you could take the getting in on the second attempt as being more focused around you being a gapper, already having your A-levels.

But I do agree to some extent, with what you're saying.
My mum is a director of HR so she was able to help me sell myself in my PS and gave me loads of training in interview skills. My year head gave me a mock interview and loads of example questions I could think about.

State school by the way. 2 Medics in a year of about 80 people.
Kinkerz
Or, you could take the getting in on the second attempt as being more focused around you being a gapper, already having your A-levels.

But I do agree to some extent, with what you're saying.

Indeed! You are definately correct with that one. Worked my little bum off for it the second time. Double gap year = :eek3: It's funny how much my attitude changed just after half a year between my two applications. Anyway, I digress.
Reply 32
s_s
Not everyone does think about stuff like that though/go on the internet or on TSR to do research. I remember meeting a friend of a friend who was on the same train as me on way to her interview for medicine, and asking if she wanted a mock interview, and the first question i asked was 'why do you want to study medicine?' and she looked blankly for about thirty seconds and said 'they won't ask that, will they?!' I was like OMFG... but she genuinely had no idea, and she was also under some impression that an interview shows your genuine intelligence, not how much you've prepared.

Seems to me that your friend would've struggled either way, testing for genuine intelligence or an interview for medical school...

s_s
I do blame the schools for not at least mentioning you should do research.

It's called initiative.
s_s
Not everyone does think about stuff like that though/go on the internet or on TSR to do research. I remember meeting a friend of a friend who was on the same train as me on way to her interview for medicine, and asking if she wanted a mock interview, and the first question i asked was 'why do you want to study medicine?' and she looked blankly for about thirty seconds and said 'they won't ask that, will they?!' I was like OMFG... but she genuinely had no idea, and she was also under some impression that an interview shows your genuine intelligence, not how much you've prepared. I do blame the schools for not at least mentioning you should do research. Regarding my boyfriend, to be fair he was very ill at the time and he just applied to the closest four medical schools to his home, so it's not like he spent ages looking the courses up on the internet; and he says he didn't really realise you had to prepare for the interview (as he never did any proper work for his GCSEs/A levels). Some people are just more pro-active than others I guess.

I sure hope that interview wasnt for a PBL course. Big wake up call in september, me thinks.

I became a hermit when it came to interviews, while all my friends stuck by the opinion that you can't prepare for an interview. You can... and if you really want the job/placement, you will. It just seemed natural to prepare for it... I wouldnt of dreamt of not preparing. I didn't need someone to tell me you need to do it. Dunno, maybe thats just me. :smile:
Reply 34
Grammar School.

My English read through my PS.

And for everything else I'm entirely indebted to :tsr:
i went to standard high school - i get confused public, private, whatever.
my referee called me three seperate names in my ucas reference.
oh and my mom drove me to my interviews.
I didn't really get major help, since noone I knew (personally and through the school) had applied to Medicine before. My guidance teacher read over my personal statement, but that was it. The rest was down to me to do research on the internet and organise the work experiences. Oh and I dont know if its relevent but I go to a state school (just thought id mention since other's have)
Reply 37
I didn't get very much help with mine at all. I had too much to say in my personal statement so one of my teachers who I was very friendly with helped me rewrite it using better grammar and cutting the length down without eliminating too many details.
I never had any mock interviews or prep or anything like that. I just looked up reasons for wanting to go to the particular university and read a few health articles on bbc news the night before the interview I had.
I got interviews for 3 of my choices but only chose to go to one because I couldnt afford the flights over to all three. The interview was in Manchester and they'd changed the format so it was a little confusing and repetitive and I don't know how I got an offer from them because it didn't feel like I'd done very well in it. Then I got an offer from my local uni for medicine without an interview.

Applying for medicine took a lot of time and effort so I really hope I can get the grades this year so I dont have to go through it all again (especially that UKCAT test urghhh!!)
Reply 38
school: ps 'help' ppft.
ukcat/bmat 'help' going over problems in the books [soemthing that we would have done by ourselves anyway...]
mock interview lasting 5 mins.. outcome: "good, you probably will do well" they lied.

yeah i really dont like the ucas people at school.

oh and crap reference, nothing to do with my academia much and nothing outside of class either...

this time around, im thinking it's going to be much better.
Went to a state comp with a good history of Oxbridge entry, but not really Medicine...

PS was checked by Head of Year, and a biology teacher.
Only med student from my year (2 other applicants - both rejected)

Was working at a GP surgery when I applied, so got the GP's to check my PS, and one of them gave me a mock interview.

School never mentioned work exp or voluntary stuff, they thought that grades were it. If it wasn't for TSR I wouldn't be a medical student.

Latest

Trending

Trending