The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

You can drive without your licence i believe aslong as you have passed lol
Reply 2
Just keep your pass certificate in the glove compartment till your license comes =]
Reply 3
It's a shame the examiner didn't make it clearer, but your entitlement starts on the day you passed so you don't need to wait for your licence.

As Lord JP said, consider keeping your pass certificate close at hand in case the police stop you.
I passed my test on tuesday and the examiner said that my certifcate acts as a license till your new one comes. You don't even need to carry it with you. Keep it safe and if you happen to get stoppec (I'm sure you won't) you just have to take it to the police station within a certain number of days :smile:
I passed my practical test on tuseday, but examiner gave me the certificate to my self, I really dont know what should I send to DVLA for my driving license
he said only this paper(certificate) and your provisional. but in the back of this page is written, them one plus fee (if applicable, see INF23) and conterpart(if applicable) and application form(if applicable)... and I really dont know where should I look in internet to find out.
anyone knows about it?
Original post by Amir Farhang
I passed my practical test on tuseday, but examiner gave me the certificate to my self, I really dont know what should I send to DVLA for my driving license
he said only this paper(certificate) and your provisional. but in the back of this page is written, them one plus fee (if applicable, see INF23) and conterpart(if applicable) and application form(if applicable)... and I really dont know where should I look in internet to find out.
anyone knows about it?

Hi Amir,

I will do my best to answer from what you have written but it wasn't entirely clear. You should have a pass certificate only. The examiner should have taken your provisional licence (photocard and paper counterpart) to send off for your full licence. You do not need to do anything.

Unless

You don't have a photocard licence, only have the paper part and had to produce a passport on your practical test. In this case, you will need to follow the instructions on the back of the paper part of the licence which tells you what you need to do.

If you need more information, let me know exactly what you have and what your situation is and I'll look up the details in my instructor's handbook.

Best Wishes

Emma
Original post by Advisor
It's a shame the examiner didn't make it clearer, but your entitlement starts on the day you passed so you don't need to wait for your licence.

As Lord JP said, consider keeping your pass certificate close at hand in case the police stop you.

Yeah- you can drive as soon as you have passed your test. You dont have to wait untill your lecence comes through. Just keep your certificate in your car in case the police do stop you for some reason.
Reply 8
anyone knows about it?

Look on the bottom right of your green driving test report form. There should be a big cross next to one of three boxes: Yes, COA or No. Which one is crossed?
Original post by Emma-Ashley
Hi Amir,

I will do my best to answer from what you have written but it wasn't entirely clear. You should have a pass certificate only. The examiner should have taken your provisional licence (photocard and paper counterpart) to send off for your full licence. You do not need to do anything.

Unless

You don't have a photocard licence, only have the paper part and had to produce a passport on your practical test. In this case, you will need to follow the instructions on the back of the paper part of the licence which tells you what you need to do.

If you need more information, let me know exactly what you have and what your situation is and I'll look up the details in my instructor's handbook.

Best Wishes

Emma

Thank you very much Emma for your reply.

no, I had every thing with me, but the examiner ask me do you want to send your document to DVLA for your new driving license? because i am new in this country and I wasnt aware of this procedure I said all right I am gonna send it, and he just handed all documents and said all right so you want to do it yourself. and told me to sign the certificate and send it with my provisional. now on the back of the certificate it is written that you have to submit an application to upgrade your driving licence and send with your provisional and counterpart and also a fee which is not mentioned how much but it said if applicable which I dont know whether for me applicable or not.
Original post by Advisor
Look on the bottom right of your green driving test report form. There should be a big cross next to one of three boxes: Yes, COA or No. Which one is crossed?

"No" is crossed
Thank you very much Emma for your reply.

no, I had every thing with me, but the examiner ask me do you want to send your document to DVLA for your new driving license? because i am new in this country and I wasnt aware of this procedure I said all right I am gonna send it, and he just handed all documents and said all right so you want to do it yourself. and told me to sign the certificate and send it with my provisional. now on the back of the certificate it is written that you have to submit an application to upgrade your driving licence and send with your provisional and counterpart and also a fee which is not mentioned how much but it said if applicable which I dont know whether for me applicable or not.

Hi Amir,

Sorry for the delay in replying but I wanted to check that I had all the relevant information correct before doing so.

I am a little baffled as to why the examiner asked you whether you wanted to apply for your full licence yourself - I have never known this before. However, what's done is done.

You need to sign the certificate and send it, with both parts of your licence, within 4 weeks, to the DVLA, the address should be on the back of the form. That is all you need to do. You should not need any other application or any fee. If you need any other changes to your licence e.g., address, name or photo, or if you don't have both parts of the licence, then the above doesn't apply, so ask me again...

You do not need your certificate to drive in the meantime. The certificate is not a legal document and is not considered by the police to be proof of entitlement to drive. If you are stopped, which is unlikely, just explain that your licence has been sent to the DVLA for exchange to a full licence.

You might like to take copies of your provisional and certificate, just in case :wink: (although they are not legally binding).

I hope that clarifies the situation for you.

Emma
Hi Amir,

Sorry for the delay in replying but I wanted to check that I had all the relevant information correct before doing so.

I am a little baffled as to why the examiner asked you whether you wanted to apply for your full licence yourself - I have never known this before. However, what's done is done.

You need to sign the certificate and send it, with both parts of your licence, within 4 weeks, to the DVLA, the address should be on the back of the form. That is all you need to do. You should not need any other application or any fee. If you need any other changes to your licence e.g., address, name or photo, or if you don't have both parts of the licence, then the above doesn't apply, so ask me again...

You do not need your certificate to drive in the meantime. The certificate is not a legal document and is not considered by the police to be proof of entitlement to drive. If you are stopped, which is unlikely, just explain that your licence has been sent to the DVLA for exchange to a full licence.

You might like to take copies of your provisional and certificate, just in case :wink: (although they are not legally binding).

Emma

Thank you so much Emma.

that was really helpful. I did like you said.
Original post by Advisor

Just to point out that the certificate is not a legal document and the police are unlikely to take it as concrete proof of entitlement to drive.

Emma
Reply 14
When I heard that I passed, all I wanted to do was get straight out the car and tell everyone!
Hi Amir,

Emma

They should ask - sometimes they word it "would you like me to send it off for you?" or such - this is because there could be some situations where you need to send off for yourself. For example, I needed to apply for the provisional category C1, so instead of sending off my license for me, I sent off the provisional + Pass Certificate as well as the correct forms (D2 and D4) to save me having to wait for my full license to come back, then sending it off again.
I would strongly suggest photocopying your pass certificate before sending it off.

I would also strongly suggest sending it registered post.
yes im in the same situation. i passed my test but my examiner let me send for my licence myself. do i have to send my pass certificate with my provisional licence and counterpart? do i also need to send my driver report as well? and what is are the eight numbers in the box in the top and bottom in the left hand side of the pass certificate? is that my pass number or is just a certificate number?
That's fine, like I did, just take your certificate with you at all times when driving, so it can prove that you can legally drive, until you receive your full license.
My licence came after a week :smile: Hopefully you won't have to wait the full 3 weeks

Latest

Trending

Trending