The Student Room Group

Dropping out after first year...year out reapplying - risky?

I am becoming slightly concerned about my UCAS application for 2010 entry. I plan to send it off in September, but I have a question regarding my situation...

I went straight to university from school and took my first year at university and sat the exams, even though by around April I knew I had no intention of returning for second year. Thus I am taking an entire year out to reapply through UCAS for the LLB to high ranking universities such as University College London.

Obviously I need to detail breifly why I left my university and what I am doing on my year out... but can universities discriminate against my application because I went to university for one year and then dropped out and then took another year out? I don't really have much choice but to take a year out as I don't want to look at anything in Extra/Clearing as the universities I am applying to and the course I am applying for do not operate through these schemes; so taking a year out for a fresh application is the best option I have.

So yes, anyone else been to university for first year, dropped out and then taken a year out to reapply (successfully)? I just ask now as I have dropped out of my former university and it feels a bit risky reapplying given by the time I return to study I will have had, in a way, two years out.
Reply 1
jonboyyork
I am becoming slightly concerned about my UCAS application for 2010 entry. I plan to send it off in September, but I have a question regarding my situation...

I went straight to university from school and took my first year at university and sat the exams, even though by around April I knew I had no intention of returning for second year. Thus I am taking an entire year out to reapply through UCAS for the LLB to high ranking universities such as University College London.

Obviously I need to detail breifly why I left my university and what I am doing on my year out... but can universities discriminate against my application because I went to university for one year and then dropped out and then took another year out? I don't really have much choice but to take a year out as I don't want to look at anything in Extra/Clearing as the universities I am applying to and the course I am applying for do not operate through these schemes; so taking a year out for a fresh application is the best option I have.

So yes, anyone else been to university for first year, dropped out and then taken a year out to reapply (successfully)? I just ask now as I have dropped out of my former university and it feels a bit risky reapplying given by the time I return to study I will have had, in a way, two years out.

Are you applying for the same subject again, just at another university? Because that's not really gonna look very good. :/

If you essentially take two years out, you should do something during that time that works towards your desired subject. Internship, extra classes, related job, anything that will look good and help you gain knowledge or experience.

Just put a positive spin on the two years out, say it helped you mature or it helped you figure out what you really wanted evidenced by internship A or B where you learned lots and so on.
Reply 2
jonboyyork
The time out won't matter as long as you use it constructively. It's OK to have a change of heart, as has been discussed in your previous threads on this topic. Make sure your personal statement is strong, and that you have a good reference. Also be sure that you are applying for the LLB out of genuine interest in the discipline and not because you think it will take you to a career where you can earn £££. If that comes across in your PS, you won't be successful.
I agree with Sabinne, you need to make sure that you've done something in the meantime which shows you are in a different position to where you were two years ago. Don't just rely on having high A level grades, because they will think, this guy had high grades when he started in 2008, but he didn't get past first year, so whats different this time?

If you're applying for a different course then it will be easier to say you realised you didn't want to do it, you wanted to do Law etc, but if you did Law last time and are going for the LLB courses at high ranking universities then there is going to be a lot of competition and a lot of people who the universities can give their places to - its a disaster for a uni in that position to give someone a place who doesn't finish the course because they lose funding when they could have given the place to one of hundreds of other applicants who would have stuck it through.

If thats what you've decided to do then you're going to have to go all in and do your best to convince them, but it is a high risk strategy. You mentioned that you sat your exams for first year - if you got high marks in these exams it could be useful because it will show that you're a good performer at university level, and make it convincing that you are high calibre just wanted to aim your sights differently.
Reply 4
MagicNMedicine

If you're applying for a different course then it will be easier to say you realised you didn't want to do it, you wanted to do Law etc, but if you did Law last time and are going for the LLB courses at high ranking universities then there is going to be a lot of competition and a lot of people who the universities can give their places to - its a disaster for a uni in that position to give someone a place who doesn't finish the course because they lose funding when they could have given the place to one of hundreds of other applicants who would have stuck it through.

I was not reading law at university this year (see profile).
Reply 5
Minerva
The time out won't matter as long as you use it constructively. It's OK to have a change of heart, as has been discussed in your previous threads on this topic. Make sure your personal statement is strong, and that you have a good reference. Also be sure that you are applying for the LLB out of genuine interest in the discipline and not because you think it will take you to a career where you can earn £££. If that comes across in your PS, you won't be successful.

Thank you for the advice Minerva. I understand your conerns, but my eventual aim was to graduate in the degree I chose and pursue the law conversion. After hating my course and the university I was at, I decided the LLB is what I should have done. You seem slightly negative about my reapplication, I've heard these concerns from friends already; is it so wrong that a course was not for me? I think, if anything, dropping out was quite a brave thing to do. I know plenty of people at soas just sticking it out even though they hate their courses and the university. The difference between me and them is that I want to graduate with a good honours, not a scraped second in something I hate.
Reply 6
jonboyyork
Thank you for the advice Minerva. I understand your conerns, but my eventual aim was to graduate in the degree I chose and pursue the law conversion. After hating my course and the university I was at, I decided the LLB is what I should have done. You seem slightly negative about my reapplication, I've heard these concerns from friends already; is it so wrong that a course was not for me? I think, if anything, dropping out was quite a brave thing to do. I know plenty of people at soas just sticking it out even though they hate their courses and the university. The difference between me and them is that I want to graduate with a good honours, not a scraped second in something I hate.
You misunderstand me. I agree that dropping out is not a step taken lightly and also that there is no point in carrying on with a degree you hate. What I was trying to say was that in your PS you need to show your genuine interest in law for its own sake, and avoid suggesting that you are just interested in law because of its potential earning power (as many people on here seem to be :smile:). With a good application I don't see any reason why you should not be successful with at least some of your choices, and as I've also said as long as you indicate that you have sensible plans for the unexpected gap year (paid work is fine; it's the loafing around doing nothing they won't like) the time out won't be a problem. If you are unsuccessful it won't be because of that.
Reply 7
Minerva
You misunderstand me. I agree that dropping out is not a step taken lightly and also that there is no point in carrying on with a degree you hate. What I was trying to say was that in your PS you need to show your genuine interest in law for its own sake, and avoid suggesting that you are just interested in law because of its potential earning power (as many people on here seem to be :smile:). With a good application I don't see any reason why you should not be successful with at least some of your choices, and as I've also said as long as you indicate that you have sensible plans for the unexpected gap year (paid work is fine; it's the loafing around doing nothing they won't like) the time out won't be a problem. If you are unsuccessful it won't be because of that.

I am doing work experience at the chambers a family friend works for as a judge, just before I send off my UCAS application in September, and then travelling for a good few months (I hope this isn't seen by you as 'loafing about' as I see it as a cultural enrichment, but any tips on how to make this seem beneficial in the PS would be welcome :smile: )

I know I made a thread on this topic a while ago, but that was when I was actually still enrolled in soas. Now I have dropped out and the year out is definite, how exactly do I go about explaining in my PS why I dropped out of soas and how can I make what seems like a year wasted appear positive, as I truly am worried about admissions tutors (particularly at the top universities) ignoring the fact I have the grades already, and picking up on the fact I withdrew from the course to reapply on a year out... :s-smilie:
Reply 8
jonboyyork
I am doing work experience at the chambers a family friend works for as a judge, just before I send off my UCAS application in September, and then travelling for a good few months (I hope this isn't seen by you as 'loafing about' as I see it as a cultural enrichment, but any tips on how to make this seem beneficial in the PS would be welcome :smile: )

I know I made a thread on this topic a while ago, but that was when I was actually still enrolled in soas. Now I have dropped out and the year out is definite, how exactly do I go about explaining in my PS why I dropped out of soas and how can I make what seems like a year wasted appear positive, as I truly am worried about admissions tutors (particularly at the top universities) ignoring the fact I have the grades already, and picking up on the fact I withdrew from the course to reapply on a year out... :s-smilie:
Travelling's fine :smile:

I think you are worrying overmuch. Lots of people make a false start - you at least have completed the year, which is more than some people do, and should have something to show for it. It's not wasted at all; there will be things from it (even if it's 'just' the additional maturity, independent study skills, whatever) that will always be with you and that will be of use in the new course. So don't do yourself down. Just play it straight - the course you first picked didn't provide what you had hoped it would, that's all.

In the end, you can only put in as strong an application as you can and see what happens. Make sure you take into account the advice on how to avoid getting five rejections (now on TSR's Wiki as well) and you should be fine.
Reply 9
Minerva
Travelling's fine :smile:

I think you are worrying overmuch. Lots of people make a false start - you at least have completed the year, which is more than some people do, and should have something to show for it. It's not wasted at all; there will be things from it (even if it's 'just' the additional maturity, independent study skills, whatever) that will always be with you and that will be of use in the new course. So don't do yourself down. Just play it straight - the course you first picked didn't provide what you had hoped it would, that's all.

In the end, you can only put in as strong an application as you can and see what happens. Make sure you take into account the advice on how to avoid getting five rejections (now on TSR's Wiki as well) and you should be fine.

Thanks Minerva. Yes, I got quite down about it all a couple of months ago, especially when I wasn't quite sure about leaving. But then I just decided to go through with it, and I feel much happier, especially as I am now reading a few introductory law and politics reading materials. I guess the best thing for the PS is to be honest but not self-pitiful?
Reply 10
jonboyyork
Thanks Minerva. Yes, I got quite down about it all a couple of months ago, especially when I wasn't quite sure about leaving. But then I just decided to go through with it, and I feel much happier, especially as I am now reading a few introductory law and politics reading materials. I guess the best thing for the PS is to be honest but not self-pitiful?
Yes - and not to dwell on it overmuch - there's no need.
Reply 11
good luck!! what other unis are you considering of?
Reply 12
jkyng1
good luck!! what other unis are you considering of?

I am using two of my options on UCL, one on Nottingham, one on KCL and most likely my fifth on the University of Manchester, although I really aim to be back in London.
Reply 13
then apply for LSE

Latest

Trending

Trending