The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Calling all Warwick Students - which halls are the best?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
pogrom
how is having a private toilet going to affect social life? unless someone basis all their social interactions on liaisons in public toilets. whitefields is a good call but how many people does it hold? must depend on your group...would be awesome if Whitefields could be chosen as 2nd/3rd year accommodation where you could choose your roommates haha.

@ olismit also be sure that you actually take your advice from people who are already studying in Warwick :smile:

Ahahahaha!! :p:
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 21
mmm during our kitchen parties we always had someones room open to use the bathroom...or just gave the key. never had any intruders or anything and always had a few boring loosers who didnt join us from the corridor who could be trusted to keep an eye out (cos everyone always left their doors wide open when in their rooms so could see strangers walking in corridors).

another benefit of JM is if your feeling sick its so easy to just puke outside the window xD.
Reply 22
Does anyone have anything to say about Heronbank or westwood?? I applied there but I don't have the confirmation on which one yet....
Don't pay extra for your own bathroom, you might as well get used to sharing in first year because otherwise I don't know how you will cope in second and third year. I don't understand why people think that the bathrooms in places such as Rootes are disgusting and unhygienic. You do realise that they get cleaned every weekday and that people living there are generally nice normal people who like a clean toilet as much as you do?

Also where ever you end up the enjoyment you get from the experience will depend entirely on the people your with! You could be lonely with your own toilet or lonely in Rootes because nobody really likes you.
Tocil!

But everyone who is posting here, is probably saying their own hall or the hall they were in as a fresher...which proves it doesn't really matter too much WHERE you are...you will have a great time anyway!
I think the fact that most people are probably posting their own hall says something really... You'll have a good time wherever you are! I went for Whitefields, Rootes and Tocil. Not particularly bothered which one I get :smile:
tissue shoulders
I think the fact that most people are probably posting their own hall says something really... You'll have a good time wherever you are! I went for Whitefields, Rootes and Tocil. Not particularly bothered which one I get :smile:

eugh, why whitefields.

if you put that first, unlucky.
Totally Tom
eugh, why whitefields.

if you put that first, unlucky.

because it's cheap and really central. i'm not fussy about having my own bathroom and i've heard whitefields is really social. why not whitefields apart from the fact that it's not ensuite?
tissue shoulders
because it's cheap and really central. i'm not fussy about having my own bathroom and i've heard whitefields is really social. why not whitefields apart from the fact that it's not ensuite?

the buildings are crummy, you're on your own in the house (as in it's part of whitefields but not physically connected to the other houses) rooms are ******, your 'common room' is a joke and the buildings just generally depress all that go past :frown:
Totally Tom
the buildings are crummy, you're on your own in the house (as in it's part of whitefields but not physically connected to the other houses) rooms are ******, your 'common room' is a joke and the buildings just generally depress all that go past :frown:

Maybe you don't like Whitefields, I found it to be quite nice. Although it'd be utter torture if you don't get on with people there.
Totally Tom

tbf the common rooms arent that bad imo. what you should have mentioned though is that you should be prepared to be potentially woken up by people returning from the Union (if you have for example decided to have an early night in).
Original post by pogrom
how is having a private toilet going to affect social life? unless someone basis all their social interactions on liaisons in public toilets. whitefields is a good call but how many people does it hold? must depend on your group...would be awesome if Whitefields could be chosen as 2nd/3rd year accommodation where you could choose your roommates haha.

@ olismit also be sure that you actually take your advice from people who are already studying in Warwick :smile:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA omg thanks for cracking me up! lol! seems like a lot of people's social life does depend on public toilets hhihihi ... just kidding guys... lmao can't stop laughing
can anyone here PLEAAAAAAAASE give me an insight on Lakeside vs Heronbank?..so confused :frown:
Original post by cheese_cake
can anyone here PLEAAAAAAAASE give me an insight on Lakeside vs Heronbank?..so confused :frown:

For all intents and purposes, there isn't much of a difference between the two. One is bigger than the other, and a bit cheaper. They're both not available for First Years this cycle.

Both built within 5 years of each other - Lakeside is older (2000ish) than Heronbank (2005ish), but in terms of style they are very similar.
coolio! thanks a lot! what about the common rooms, kitchen size and facilities? i'm an overseas PG student so bit lost can't use the pics on web to judge hehe :smile: what about the distance to the main building, tesco, etc??
A thousand times Rootes
coolio! thanks a lot! what about the common rooms, kitchen size and facilities? i'm an overseas PG student so bit lost can't use the pics on web to judge hehe :smile: what about the distance to the main building, tesco, etc??

Check our the Warwick Accommodation Thread there are some maps/pics in the first few posts.

Typically, Lakeside and Heronbank are about 15 minutes walk from main campus, and at least 25 minutes walk from Tesco. I'd get a bike if you end up there....
Original post by nedMALK
Does anyone have anything to say about Heronbank or westwood?? I applied there but I don't have the confirmation on which one yet....

A quote from Overheard at Warwick:

- Do you believe in long distance relationships?
- Why?
- Well, I've met this guy from Westwood...

Heronbank is also pretty far away, but not as bad as Westwood.

I just hope you enjoy walking.
Reply 39
Original post by TheTallOne
Check our the Warwick Accommodation Thread there are some maps/pics in the first few posts.

Typically, Lakeside and Heronbank are about 15 minutes walk from main campus, and at least 25 minutes walk from Tesco. I'd get a bike if you end up there....

Unless you are physically hindered in some way, it's more like 10 minutes to main campus and 20 minutes to Tesco. In fact I can do it quicker than that but I've allowed for the fact that not everyone walks like a freak. I had a bike when I was in Heronbank in first year and found it more of a hindrance than a help.

cheese_cake
coolio! thanks a lot! what about the common rooms, kitchen size and facilities? i'm an overseas PG student so bit lost can't use the pics on web to judge hehe what about the distance to the main building, tesco, etc??

I wrote the Lakeside and Heronbank reviews on the first page of the accommodation thread so am pretty well placed to tell you that they are almost exactly the same in terms of the size of the rooms and facilities in the kitchen. The kitchens themselves in both halls have a lot of storage space but not much 'useful' space - you'd struggle if more than two people wanted to cook at the same time but in my experience that rarely happens. The only real advantage Lakeside has over Heronbank is that you get a desk phone in your room so you can make free calls to other campus phones.

Quick Reply

Latest