The Student Room Group

Fast Stream 2010 Competition

Since the Fast Stream Recruitment Report 2008 is now out it is time to start the new thread for the 2010 competition.

2010 Application window: 21 September 2009 to 30 November 2009.

FYI

The recruitment process takes forever: http://www.civilservice.gov.uk/Assets/CSFS_StepByStepApplicationProcess_tcm6-5162.pdf

Fast Streamers are not all from Oxbridge, have not all done PPE and do not all have firsts. Assessors do not have access to this information.

Read last year's thread before asking here:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=684373

Anyhow here is the 2008 recruitement report:

http://www.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/media/212529/2008_faststream_final.pdf

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
So who else is going for the 2010 intake when it comes up? And who wants to start guessing how much the intake will be cut by? I'm guessing 25% if Labour stay in, and 50-75% if the Conservatives get in.
Yup, going to have a go with the FCO.
Surely the time to start the thread is 21 September 2009?
Reply 4
I'm definitley going to have a go. I've been watching the 2009 thread for some time and that has made me think I don't actually have much chance, but I'm still going to try. And hope! Haha.
Hi, long time reader of the all of the Fast Stream threads, first time poster. I'll probably end up applying for this year's scheme but I'm feeling a little apprehensive, having gone for it before and been unsuccessful. I would have had the option to go through the In-Service Scheme this year since I'm already a civil servant, but as I've been in post for less than a year I didn't qualify. All the threads on here have been really informative though - thanks to those who contributed :smile:
Reply 6
MancStudent098
Yup, going to have a go with the FCO.

Same. I assume you have to select 'Central Departments' in the application process and you can specific FSO if/when you get far enough in the recruitment process.
Reply 7
Good luck to all trying to get in to the FS this year! I'm a current FS'er, so feel free to drop me a message if you have any specific questions.

J
Reply 8
Hey people, just wanted to ask for your opinion on my chances of getting accepted onto the graduate fast stream. I am at a top 20 university studying Economics. On track for a 2.1. Am president of the Economics society at university and have just completed a Summer Internship with UK Trade and Investment in their Economics and Evaluations team. I am looking to apply to the HM Treasury and the Diplomatic Service for a graduate position. Would I stand a decent chance?
Reply 9
man123
Hey people, just wanted to ask for your opinion on my chances of getting accepted onto the graduate fast stream. I am at a top 20 university studying Economics. On track for a 2.1. Am president of the Economics society at university and have just completed a Summer Internship with UK Trade and Investment in their Economics and Evaluations team. I am looking to apply to the HM Treasury and the Diplomatic Service for a graduate position. Would I stand a decent chance?

Your uni/degree class count for nothing (although you can look up your uni in the stats to see if candidates do better or worse than average).

Your experience is only useful if it helps answer the competancy questions.

You apply to areas of interest not departments (HMT) and don't always get them. Diplomatic service positions have much higher competition than central depts.

I know this doesn't help but it should clear some things up, basically you have as good a chance as anyone for GFS but for FCO I pretty much tell everyone its highly unlikely you'd get it.

Not interested in the economics scheme?
Reply 10
So who's counting down then? Only a month to go until the scheme opens up... I'd better get myself a new monitor, I found out that leaving my office window open during a thunder storm did indeed knacker my monitor. I only use my desktop PC for playing games and doing online tests, and since I haven't done any of either of those in a while, it took me a month or two from the window being left open to me finding out it was indeed knackered. Just wondering whether to claim on contents or not...

Oh and if anyone knows of any decent free practice tests, links would be good.
Reply 11
Intending to apply this year, and quite nervous about it. If I don't get in, I think I'll keep applying for jobs in the civil service anyway, because thats pretty much what I want to do.

Proof of the dangers of watching too much Yes Minister.
Also re-applying this year. :smile: Although have got other interviews for jobs I may want to continue so we'll see.
Tuppenny

Proof of the dangers of watching too much Yes Minister.

This. :smile: I never thought about the Civil Service until I watched that damn show! :p:
Bella_trixxx
This. :smile: I never thought about the Civil Service until I watched that damn show! :p:

It's a documentary

Seriously...it's a documentary. :yep:

Sir Humphrey: Didn't you read the Financial Times this morning?
Sir Desmond: Never do.
Sir Humphrey: Well you're a banker, surely you read the Financial Times.
Sir Desmond: Can't understand it. Full of economic theory.
Sir Humphrey: Why do you buy it?
Sir Desmond: Well you know, it's part of the
uniform.
Reply 15
Bella_trixxx

I want to be Humphrey, but I think I'd end up more like Bernard!

Bernard: We can CGSM it.
Jim Hacker: CGSM?
Bernard: Civil Service code, Minister. It stands for "Consignment of Geriatric Shoe Manufacturers".
Jim Hacker: What?
Bernard: A load of old cobblers, Minister.
Jim Hacker: I'm not a civil servant; I shall use my own code. I shall write: "Round objects".
Reply 16
I thought I wanted to be Humphrey, until I watched the West Wing. Now I want to be Josh Lyman.
Reply 17
Hi guys,

I've read back through the entirety of last year's thread and don't recall seeing this question answered, but apologies in advance if i'm mistaken!

What is salary progression like on the FS? I appreciate that a one size fits all answer may not be feasble, but some approximations would be more than useful. Perhaps a promotional timescale would help?

Many, many thanks
Reply 18
I'd punch at 2k a year progression as being typical. However very little is typical between depts...

Typically promotion from the fast stream after 4 years. I've heard of it done in 8 months and I'm sure people are taken off after 7 years.
Quady
I'd punch at 2k a year progression as being typical. However very little is typical between depts...

Typically promotion from the fast stream after 4 years. I've heard of it done in 8 months and I'm sure people are taken off after 7 years.

It takes 5 posts (approx) in my department and if you fail the career development panel twice then you're taken off the faststream, although you can stay in the civil service.

Money goes up a fair bit after 2 years and then substantially after 3 further years. I think. I should probably find out.

Quick Reply

Latest