The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3980
Original post by Emma:-)

That happened to one of my colleagues last month. Basically the woman was paying by card, but took her card out too early, meaning the payment hadnt gone through. The girl told her that it hadnt gone through and the woman didnt believe her, until my colleague got me over to help and i told her the same thing. Then she put her card in again to pay for her order, but the card got declined by the bank. So she had to get her husband and they paid by cash. But then after they had eaten, the woman and her husband came up and spoke to the manager, and tried to say that they thought they had paid for the order twice, because they thought they had paid the first time by card, even though she had taken her card out too early and both me and my colleague had confirmed that. The manager took their details and said he would check and get back to them, because the screen on that till had frozen. Me and the manager later checked on that till once the screen stopped freezing, and it turns out they hadnt paid twice, me and my colleague where right- she hadnt paid the first time when she had pulled out her card way too early.

I had a similar thing to that once, and she said in a really snobby voice, 'but the customer is always right'...
That happened to one of my colleagues last month. Basically the woman was paying by card, but took her card out too early, meaning the payment hadnt gone through. The girl told her that it hadnt gone through and the woman didnt believe her, until my colleague got me over to help and i told her the same thing. Then she put her card in again to pay for her order, but the card got declined by the bank. So she had to get her husband and they paid by cash. But then after they had eaten, the woman and her husband came up and spoke to the manager, and tried to say that they thought they had paid for the order twice, because they thought they had paid the first time by card, even though she had taken her card out too early and both me and my colleague had confirmed that. The manager took their details and said he would check and get back to them, because the screen on that till had frozen. Me and the manager later checked on that till once the screen stopped freezing, and it turns out they hadnt paid twice, me and my colleague where right- she hadnt paid the first time when she had pulled out her card way too early.

In those situations, our tills print out a receipt saying the transaction's been declined/cancelled :smile:
Ugh, another annoyance - our tills have screens for us and one facing the customer so they can see what's been scanned, only problem is they don't sync up perfectly, so say if we scan something twice by mistake and then void one of them, it looks like we've scanned it two or three times on the customer's till, so we sometimes have to spend ages trying to convince them they've only paid for one.

Also the promotions are only discounted after we've totalled the transaction, so pretty much everyone says 'aren't they buy one get one free?' and every time we have to explain that it will show up at the end. Even then, the special offers and listed weirdly on the receipt/screens - it doesn't say '[product] -2 for £3' or whatever the offer is, just '[product name] -£1.58' (or whatever the discount is to make it cost the right amount), again confusing everyone as we try and work out the new cost and if it's the one they expected.
Reply 3983

I hate when people get all difficult in these situations. The till only lets them pay once, if we were to try and charge them twice we'd have to put in the order twice!

I've had quite a few people lately who quite clearly order a meal (as in I say "is that a meal" and they say yes), then tell me they don't want a drink when I ask them about. Fair enough if you've never been to a fast food place before, but with a lot of people I find that unlikely to be the case. Or when they forget to order something and your 100% sure of it. I don't mind adding it on but don't be rude about it!

I miss working in the kitchen. :frown:
The customer yesterday who demanded that the upstairs in our restaurant had to be opened for her and her family, although there were a large amount of drunken people around who we couldn't supervise, there was plenty of seating available downstairs and I was in the process of carying the mop bucket up to clean it.
Reply 3985
Original post by T'archer
The customer yesterday who demanded that the upstairs in our restaurant had to be opened for her and her family, although there were a large amount of drunken people around who we couldn't supervise, there was plenty of seating available downstairs and I was in the process of carying the mop bucket up to clean it.

We close the upstairs about 2-3 hours before we shut, and as our toilets are upstairs, everyone has to use the downstairs disabled toilet. We have a barrier rope thing which we put across the stairs, and stick two signs on it explaining it's closed and to use the downstairs toilet. Yet I lose count of how many people try to go up there! It's closed for a reason, it's likely the floor will be in the process of being mopped or still wet.
Original post by Pony Jack
In those situations, our tills print out a receipt saying the transaction's been declined/cancelled :smile:

Thats what happened. The reciept printed off saying it was cancelled when it got declined by the bank, I cant remember if one printed off or not the time before when she took her card out too early. I dont think i took much notice.

Original post by tom.pyotr.morgan
I hate when people get all difficult in these situations. The till only lets them pay once, if we were to try and charge them twice we'd have to put in the order twice!

I've had quite a few people lately who quite clearly order a meal (as in I say "is that a meal" and they say yes), then tell me they don't want a drink when I ask them about. Fair enough if you've never been to a fast food place before, but with a lot of people I find that unlikely to be the case. Or when they forget to order something and your 100% sure of it. I don't mind adding it on but don't be rude about it!

I miss working in the kitchen. :frown:

Exactly, me and my colleague told the customer that they cant have paid the first time, as it had come up as not being paid. Plus me and my colleague where saying to each order afterwards that we would have had to put the order in again if we wanted to charge her again. We tried explaining that to the customer, but i dont think she really understood.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3987
Thats what happened. The reciept printed off saying it was cancelled when it got declined by the bank, I cant remember if one printed off or not the time before when she took her card out too early. I dont think i took much notice.

I think it depends how far it gets before cancelling, as sometimes you get a receipt and sometimes you don't. Either way, McDonald's aren't going to get away with double charging people on purpose, and if it happened for some strange reason, there's nothing that can be done at the time, you'd have to contact the bank/McDonald's customer helpline.

Next week is going to be fun at work with kids off school and last week before Christmas. Just hope I'm in the kitchen.
Just hope I'm in the kitchen.

My mother's daily prayer :wink:
Reply 3989
I've had quite a few people lately who quite clearly order a meal (as in I say "is that a meal" and they say yes), then tell me they don't want a drink when I ask them about. Fair enough if you've never been to a fast food place before, but with a lot of people I find that unlikely to be the case.
My first ever shift on tills someone ordered two Big MAcs so I asked if they'd like them as meals or on their own. Said just by themselves then proceeded to order two medium fries and cokes. Clearly was a sign of things to come :tongue:

Also had the joy of a guy ordering a "McChicken Sandwich meal" today, said it was just a medium he wanted, decided he didn't want a drink, "Just a sandwich and fries then?" - turns out he didn't want the fries either. Came to the total of £2.39 when he realises it was a Mayo Chicken he wanted. Not quite sure how he managed to mess up ordering so much but fair play to him :tongue:

Not one of my customers but I was in Tesco today getting something of the bottom shelf and a woman smacked her trolley into me. "Ooh sorry! I didn't see you there". Clearly wasn't watching where she was going.
The customers I find annoying are the ones that come in 5 minutes before closing. :tongue: (I work in Greggs!)
Reply 3991
Original post by Skip_Snip
My mother's daily prayer :wink:

I'm one of two/possibly three crew (excluding managers) who can fully close front at my uni store, so the only time I get in the kitchen there is when I'm making my break food. But I'm off home for a couple of weeks, and have day shifts rather than closes! :biggrin: Hoping they're in the kitchen, but that might be asking for too much. :smile:

Original post by Stacks
My first ever shift on tills someone ordered two Big MAcs so I asked if they'd like them as meals or on their own. Said just by themselves then proceeded to order two medium fries and cokes. Clearly was a sign of things to come :tongue:

Also had the joy of a guy ordering a "McChicken Sandwich meal" today, said it was just a medium he wanted, decided he didn't want a drink, "Just a sandwich and fries then?" - turns out he didn't want the fries either. Came to the total of £2.39 when he realises it was a Mayo Chicken he wanted. Not quite sure how he managed to mess up ordering so much but fair play to him :tongue:

I've stopped making them into meals if they say no and then order it all separately. I just spend all my time voiding stuff.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3992
Customers who get upset when I don't remember them. I'm not sure what they expect of me, I see hundreds of customers every day, whereas they see 2 or maybe 3 shop assistants when they visit once a month or whatever.

But yes, the issues with the debit card machine's do my head in. People entering it too early, people entering only 2 or 3 numbers and pressing enter etc. It's worse when I tell them that the pin hasn't gone in, and without waiting for me they just take the card out which resets the whole transaction. If they'd just leave it to me all I have to do is press clear a few times and then they can enter it again*.

[EDIT]

I mean, I know they aren't aware they're doing it wrong, it's just that if it was me I would let the shop assistant do it as they know how their equipment works.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3993
I work at waitrose and at our store a few weeks ago we were having a big refit. Just before the shop shut for the refit, there was no ceiling, and no heating. This old lady came up to me and said 'Whats going on in here, its awful', so I politely said 'We're getting ready for our refit, its going to be really good when we're back open', and she just turned around and said 'nooooo, i dont think it will be', and walked off....
Then last saturday I spent 45 minutes talking to a customer who was moaning she couldnt understand lightbulbs. It was horrendous.
Reply 3994
I work in a chinese takeaway and I remember one particular moment when I had to explain for ages to a customer that didn't know what egg fried rice meant... err, rice that's fried with egg? How is that not obvious?!

He was still really confused afterwards but ordered it anyway. XD
Customers who randomally decided to all que at once and despite the fact that various staff members can probably be seen floating around, they do not think to ask one of us to open a till until the que has gotten HUGE. Alongside this - customers who que up at multiple tills when it's going to be only at one till until I can get hold of someone else to help get it down, then getting huffy at me because I served someone else before them - it is not always immediately obvious as to who was first and who has just been stupid and gone to the wrong till - waiting an extra 2 minutes isn't going to kill you. This is also made more difficult if there are so many people that they're all sort of mixed in.

And again, the whole self-entitled customers thinking they're entitled to a refund no matter what - get over your selves already, not all stores are going to be as generous as M&S when they don't have to be =/. This is going to continue to grate on my nerves no matter what, particularly because they can just get so in your face and "But I'm right! The *customer spews out some law which they have completely misunderstood* says you have to give me my money back!" is the most annoying, though the look on their face after your correct them that they are indeed, incorrect, is often completely priceless.

E: Just back reading - we also have a mix of card machines available - we get quite a few americans coming off base and sometimes we have issues with certain bank cards like RBS, NatWest etc on some tills, so we have some that have the swiper on them and some that don't. So bloody often I get people taking their card (which clearly has a chip on it - the clue is in the name - CHIP and PIN), who then insert the card vertically into the swiper bit. I get this happening all the time and then they look confused when I tell them it goes in the other bit. I get that some places like Boots require you to put it in vertically but seriously, how is this becoming such a widespread phenomenon when in my experience, those kinds are readers are quite the minority?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3996
Original post by MoonGazer
Customers who randomally decided to all que at once and despite the fact that various staff members can probably be seen floating around, they do not think to ask one of us to open a till until the que has gotten HUGE.

I don't get it :s-smilie: Surely it's up to the staff to notice and open a new till - if they are floating around as you say then they should see. I never even though of asking to open an extra till - I figured that in a shop the staff know what they have to be doing and if they aren't on the till they're doing a more important job.
"Get your tits out love"
Erm, no.

Spotted a customer the other day who was wearing a particularly short, tight dress. As she was dancing, her dress was riding up. She wasn't wearing any knickers :eek:

I'm currently waitressing, and I have no pockets. Therefore, tips have to go in my bra. It's a bit like being a stripper - the nicer you are to old men, the more money you find in your underwear at the end of the night :tongue:
Reply 3998
Original post by ily_em
I don't get it :s-smilie: Surely it's up to the staff to notice and open a new till - if they are floating around as you say then they should see. I never even though of asking to open an extra till - I figured that in a shop the staff know what they have to be doing and if they aren't on the till they're doing a more important job.

Most of that makes sense, but having worked in retail for nearly 6 years I've had it hammered into my head that customers are always the number one priority (yes despite how annoying they can be, I used to post a lot in this thread, but I have enough experience to tell the difference between customers being annoying, and staff simply not doing their job properly/a shop not being run properly, leading to customers being annoyed for good reason). Which just further backs up what you said. It is the staff/management's job to ensure the tills are manned, not the customers.

Of course, there are occasions when it is isn't feasible to have all the staff on the tills (there have been multiple occasions I have had to do seasonal moves with the store open, which is enough of a pain in the arse as it is, without being asked to go on the tills every 10 minutes), but then they shouldn't all be 'floating around' in clear view of the tills and expect not to get glares from disgruntled customers.

I don't post much in here any more as a lot of what I want to respond to is defending customers in certain situations, I fear I'll be seen as a hypocrite, but whatever :p:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by StandardStudent
One of my mates works at a KFC up Wembley and one of the workers there got stabbed. A man ordered a 3 Piece Colonel meal but didnt get a chicken breast piece...so stabbed the cashier 2 times in the chest.

Reserrecting, but still... its serious business chicken.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=io_HLVYN37s

(someone please embed for me? :colondollar: )
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending