The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

The other day my girlfriend was serving someone in a coffee shop and she accidently clicked on a big coffee rather than a small one and she corrected it straight away yet the women went mental shouting and swearing at her, I swear someone deliberately go into a shop to cause problems, it wasn;t even a big mistake, it was so easy to correct.
Original post by Laurah5498
He then accused me of being and their and a child murderer!

You'll probably stab me in the neck for this, but with that sigpic you should know the difference between their and there :wink:
Reply 5982
We had a really awkward woman in a while ago who I was sure was on a wind up, or a mystery shopper. She cut across me virtually every time I spoke to her, andpredictably wanted to see "the manager". So I got her, and she began the same tirade. Wanted to know everything about specific products including which factory they were made in, how we stocked them, and then demanded to see some of the products labelling just in case we were lying to her. I hung about listening in, but eventually I had to go away as i was about to burst into fits of laughter.

I swear some people have a bad day and then decide to be as obnoxious and snotty to shop workers to try and feel good about themselves. But why? We haven't done anything to deserve it, and we don't come to your place of work to have a pop at you. Customer service should be a two-way street - if the customer was polite then you were meant to be polite back, but that often isn't the case. Some people are downright rude, but they somehow expect us to still be happy and polite to them? How can people expect this?
So glad I've finished working in retail for now.

Some people are idiots! All you've got to do is walk into a shop, buy what you want, pay for it and go! Being problematic just makes you look like an idiot.
Original post by aleathiel

And the customers on their mobiles, do not get me started on them!! RUDE!!

ARGH! i HATE these people!!!!!

Whenever they come up to my till, i just try and talk to them as much as possible, ask them as many questions as i can possibly think off just to piss them off :biggrin:
A good and a bad today. First the bad:

Boy, about 11-12 years old, is standing around waiting while his mum is picking him out clothes. He looks at me as I fold a t-shirt that had been screwed up, and grins. He then runs along a whole wall in my section pulling EVERYTHING onto the floor. I mean hundreds of pounds worth of children's clothes now on the floor, and then runs back to trample on them.
His mother does nothing.
I wanted to actually swing a hanger into his face... I had to walk away until he left.

The good:
Little girl about 9 maybe is with her mum and brother looking at clothes. Her mum is indecisive, and I help her pick things out and choose the right sizes. As they walk to the till this little girl goes: *sigh* "mums... they are such hard work." and walks off. Made my day.
Reply 5986
Asked a customer for ID to by cigarettes the other day, she wasn't too pleased! Shesked if I was serious & I'm like yes I'm serious then she just walked off without another word leaving her lunch lol.
When people queue and carry on shopping.
What. The. Hell?

I don't mind if you ask me if you can just quickly get something specific, thats absolutely fine, but if you hand me things, let me start the transaction and then I look up to see you browsing lunchboxes a few metres away whilst I have a queue of other guests patiently waiting I am not going to be happy. Even worse when they get pissy with me over it for some reason even if I continue serving them.
And don't just ask your kids to queue up for you with nothing in their hands. It's awkward enough when I inevitably get to them and they get a look of panic on their face, but you've also essentially just got them to stand by the till while I serve everyone else who is ready until you waltz up and I have to inform you to get to the back of the ****ing line.

Luckily people who wait patiently are usually very understanding and are annoyed at the inconsiderate self centred person before them rather than me.

We are British - queueing should be ingrained in us!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5988
Original post by Bart1331
A couple more annoyances:

Being told "smile" when I don't laugh at a customers joke. Please don't take it personally but I just want to process your order and move on, I have no real interest in any of my customers lives. If I'm at the end of a long shift on a week where I have lots of shifts, can't you understand why I may look a little bored? Does it really make your life hell because I don't have a fake grin 24/7?

Customers don't make jokes, they make inane comments that they think constitutes humour. Most people are so deluded. YOU ARE NOT FUNNY OR INTERESTING. SERVICE PEOPLE DO NOT CARE ABOUT WHAT YOU HAVE TO SAY. WE ARE NOT HERE TO BLOW SMOKE UP YOUR ARSE. Kindly pay for your crap and bog off.
I hate it when it's pretty busy near the tills and you serve someone who has queue jumped, but you obviously didnt realise because there's people everywhere and you have everything else to deal with, and another customer starts insulting you loud enough so you can hear it. Seriously, we're only human, we cant notice everything. Also, if it bothers you that much you can ask them to join the queue yourself.
Reply 5990
I was in the middle of a lunchtime rush today and there was a huge queue with 3 of us all trying to serve it, and the person who was next in the queue was a wee boy - looked about 11. I asked if he was being served (though I knew he wasn't we have to ask) and he just looked at me blankly then looked away and didn't say anything. I figured he hadn't heard me right, so I said to him 'What can I get you?' and again he glanced at me and said nothing.

Bear in mind that all around me there's a big queue and people waiting to be served, so I gave the girl who was next in the queue an apologetic look and said loudly 'Who's first?' and looked at the little boy. He still said nothing.

So I gave up and served the girl waiting behind him. After getting her her lunch, I turn back around to find the boy staring at me and frowning, and he says to me 'I haven't been served.'

It took a lot of effort to smile, apologise and ask what he wanted. :mad:
Original post by Hopple
As I said, it isn't harassment from individaul company to individual person, but presumably her company calls a lot of other people, and he is called by a lot of other companies. Collectively it's harassment, clearly he doesn't want to be rung up.

Say you receive a nuisance phone call from a different company everyday, are you being harassed? Not strictly speaking, but it's the same effect as one company doing so.

I get where you're coming from but accusing me of being a child murderer and swearing at me is a bit unnecessary! He didn't confirm that it's a wrong number so I couldn't take it off the system. He actually really upset me.

I work for a debt collection agency so the contact details we get passed are sometimes wrong. I'm more than happy to take numbers off the system if they're wrong but there's no way I'm going to be screamed at for doing my job properly!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Skip_Snip
You'll probably stab me in the neck for this, but with that sigpic you should know the difference between their and there :wink:

Haha xD thanks for telling me, my phone is a pain in the backside for autocorrecting things that are right in the first place!

OMG. I have to tell you about this customer.

This lady and her son came to the tills with beers and then she wanted vodka which was behind the tills and the son pointed out which vodka to get, so obviously it was for him so I had to ask for some I.D, obviously he didn't have any. The Mum started off by saying it was for her but when I said I saw him point it out she was like 'I'M the Mother I can decide whether my son will drink or not, yes he's under 18 but I'M THE MOTHER', seriously woman? Have you not heard of a thing called THE LAW. Fair enough let your son drink under your own roof but don't come int the shop and expect me to break the law just because your the mother!
But to top it off the son was like 'Look, just stop this, just scan it' UM NO YOU SILLY FOOL YOU ARE UNDER AGE.
They both stormed out of the shop the son saying something like 'For ****s sakeeee'
Seriously I could not believe she would expect me to serve her, who do some people think they are!
Reply 5994
Original post by Laurah5498
I get where you're coming from but accusing me of being a child murderer and swearing at me is a bit unnecessary! He didn't confirm that it's a wrong number so I couldn't take it off the system. He actually really upset me.

I work for a debt collection agency so the contact details we get passed are sometimes wrong. I'm more than happy to take numbers off the system if they're wrong but there's no way I'm going to be screamed at for doing my job properly!

I only said I'd agree with him calling it harassment, not with the other stuff he did :tongue:

Perhaps it's just me, but I see my phone for conversations I want to have with people I know. Randoms disturbing me in my spare time, even if doing their job, are annoying.
Reply 5995
Original post by kittycake
OMG. I have to tell you about this customer.

This lady and her son came to the tills with beers and then she wanted vodka which was behind the tills and the son pointed out which vodka to get, so obviously it was for him so I had to ask for some I.D, obviously he didn't have any. The Mum started off by saying it was for her but when I said I saw him point it out she was like 'I'M the Mother I can decide whether my son will drink or not, yes he's under 18 but I'M THE MOTHER', seriously woman? Have you not heard of a thing called THE LAW. Fair enough let your son drink under your own roof but don't come int the shop and expect me to break the law just because your the mother!
But to top it off the son was like 'Look, just stop this, just scan it' UM NO YOU SILLY FOOL YOU ARE UNDER AGE.
They both stormed out of the shop the son saying something like 'For ****s sakeeee'
Seriously I could not believe she would expect me to serve her, who do some people think they are!

I love how people make *you* feel unreasonable for daring to ID them. "God's sake, I'm 23!" Well, it's challenge 25 EVERYWHERE in Scotland...
---
I served two guys in my old job, tbh looking about 22/23 but again I still need to ask. They were in the queue chatting like friends, two bottles of vodka on the belt. When it came to them I asked them both for ID. One guy had a look of realisation on his face, obviously hadn't got his ID, and said "I'm not with him." So ten minutes of arguing followed when I said I'd seen them talking, they'd walked up to the till together etc, so they sat and told me how they'd just met each other ten minutes ago blahblahblah. So I asked the second guy what he was buying then, and he looked around and grabbed a pack of chewing gum and put it down and went "eh...that!" And they just kept looking at me like I was such an idiot, stupid checkout girl giving us hassle...a supervisor passed and I explained and she went "Oh just serve them, I can't be bothered." I was new and not very confident so I just served them. As soon as they had their change they both grinned at eachother and high-fived and took a bottle each. Couldn't have felt more stupid or angry.
Reply 5996
Original post by conway!
I love how people make *you* feel unreasonable for daring to ID them. "God's sake, I'm 23!" Well, it's challenge 25 EVERYWHERE in Scotland...
---
I served two guys in my old job, tbh looking about 22/23 but again I still need to ask. They were in the queue chatting like friends, two bottles of vodka on the belt. When it came to them I asked them both for ID. One guy had a look of realisation on his face, obviously hadn't got his ID, and said "I'm not with him." So ten minutes of arguing followed when I said I'd seen them talking, they'd walked up to the till together etc, so they sat and told me how they'd just met each other ten minutes ago blahblahblah. So I asked the second guy what he was buying then, and he looked around and grabbed a pack of chewing gum and put it down and went "eh...that!" And they just kept looking at me like I was such an idiot, stupid checkout girl giving us hassle...a supervisor passed and I explained and she went "Oh just serve them, I can't be bothered." I was new and not very confident so I just served them. As soon as they had their change they both grinned at eachother and high-fived and took a bottle each. Couldn't have felt more stupid or angry.

About challenge 25, is it the law that you have to ask anyone who you subjectively think looks under 25 for ID? From what people say, that's the implication I get, but surely it's an unenforceable law as you just need to say "Oh, they looked 26", and that's if the police find out.
Reply 5997
Original post by conway!
---

Tbh, nothing worse than colleagues who don't have your back :rolleyes:
Original post by conway!
---

WTF?! Woman should get the sack. I'd have been pretty peed off too, the high fiving would have annoyed me more than anything else (maybe except the colleague who is too lazy to be on your side!!) :mad:
Reply 5999
I work in a restaurant that is disproportionately popular to the quality of food served. It's good, but you'd think we were giving out free food some days. This means we get customers who think they're in some high class restaurant (it's an Italian family pizzeria) and others who just have no clue.

We get some ridiculously stupid questions sometimes my favourites being: "Is the duck crispy like you get in a Chinese?" "Can I have the Lamb with gravy instead of the regular sauce and with mash potatoes?" "Does the Linguini Meatballs come with pasta?" I feel like slapping them. "Its an Italian restaurant. ITALIAN." They're not the worst though.

We get customers who are so arrogant they don't even have the grace to look at you when ordering or when you take their menus off them, and won't talk to you when they want their bill done. I've had one arse (a regular, unfortunately) who waved his money in front of me and kept nodding at the till but said nothing.

The worst customer was one who took a thread off his own shirt and mixed it into his pasta, then called over a staff member (who was a manager) to complain, very very loudly, that he'd found a hair in his food, and kept shouting about how he wanted to talk to a manager, despite being told several times he was already talking to one. It was almost scary. He then shouted at other customers who were regulars just for looking at him (it was difficult not to, he was making SUCH a scene). His girlfriend walked out, and he said he'd pay for the drinks but nothing else. Eventually the manager said he wouldn't accept his money and told him to get out. Definitely the worst customer.

Latest

Trending

Trending