The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by drbluebox
Do you mean if you sell something with X fault and the person tries to take it back for another fault then they cant, if so thats breaking consumer laws since faulty items can be returned(unless described at point of sale as far as I know.

If they think thats bad, they should go to the pub I was in last week, a hour wait and the place wasnt even half full just understaffed(yet we werent told) and when we asked how much longer it would be we were told "oh it ONLY went to the kitchen 50 minutes ago) Then they refused us a refund(which is illegal)

Jeez that is awful. At mine the norm is 15 minutes, if it's longer than that a message gets put up saying 15-25 minute wait, then if it's even longer 25-40 and after that 40+ in two years I've never seen a wait of over 40 minutes and we can often have 40 food orders waiting to go out :s:
Original post by StarsAreFixed
Ughh too many. Today I had these aul wans watch me bring a rail down from the fitting toom and pounce on it 'This is all €2 isn't it love' No why the HELL would it be. People who blame me for long queues/lack of staff/the unavailability of the size they want/things being out of stock (oh EXCUSE me while I pull them out of my ass!)/not being able to produce €100 cashback after they watch me opening a till with 2 tens and 4 5's..yes I forgot I have magical 50's!/not being able to do refunds and exchanges..yeah this is what department stores do/not being able to sell them the bench on which 3 mannequins are standing on in the window (???)/not being a bank and unable to break notes right after opening time on a sunday morning/ forbidding customers from trying on briefs in the fitting room (EWWW just EWWW)/not knowing what time store X/same stores closes at on the other side of town/not asking the 10,000th customer of the day for their loyalty card (well you should have copped where you are as well!)/not being allowed to exchange vouchers for cash (yeah this really annoys me..oh excuse me while I get fired so you can have your €20 cash)/not providing gitf wrap (hello did you not NOTICE you walked into a shop only slightly higher up the scale than Primark)/being mistaken for the same shop that's 2 minutes away- people screaming about items being put on hold and then not apologising on finding out they're in the wrong store. 'But this is grafton street!' No it isn't! How could anyone not notice walking into the back of a really distinctive shopping centre...ughh! Could really go on for ever here and split it all into sections 'annoying till customers/annoying fittign room customers/annoying floor customers' but I'm pretty hungry..

LOL I just got negged for this. Somebody's an annoying customer!:biggrin: Or has never worked in retail...
Do you mean if you sell something with X fault and the person tries to take it back for another fault then they cant, if so thats breaking consumer laws since faulty items can be returned(unless described at point of sale as far as I know.

Nah i mean when they know the items faulty and they want a discount we can only take of 10%.
If they dont notice the fault or theres no discount on the item they can bring it back.
It's hard work when someones returning £400 worth of suits and there ends up being no cash in the till. Not only that, the customer was wearing shades and was pumped on steroids, was a very threatening experience!
(edited 13 years ago)
I work at Mcdonalds, and the standard thing to do is collect payment off the customer before giving them their food. This one guy refused to pay me until he saw that I had got all his food together and put it on a tray. So damn fussy! Also people annoy me when they order a huge meal and then complain that it's too expensive. Mcdonalds is one of the cheapest places to eat, jeesh. Maybe if you hadn't ordered 15 burgers your order would amount to less than £20 or whatever..grr :angry:
Original post by Moooooooose
I work at Mcdonalds, and the standard thing to do is collect payment off the customer before giving them their food. This one guy refused to pay me until he saw that I had got all his food together and put it on a tray. So damn fussy! Also people annoy me when they order a huge meal and then complain that it's too expensive. Mcdonalds is one of the cheapest places to eat, jeesh. Maybe if you hadn't ordered 15 burgers your order would amount to less than £20 or whatever..grr :angry:

I know how you feel.
The other night at work, at 6:50pm i was there thinking "only 10 minutes untill i finish work". It was quiet, we didnt have many customers. Then i turned round to find 20-30 people walking in the door at once. Most of them were all together. They ended up buying about 25 meals. And it came to just over £100!!
Reply 1186
Original post by .PaperDoll.
I worked in House of Fraser over the summer and the phone rang just as the floor manager came over.
A woman with a weird voice was asking me if she could return a pair of trousers that she had damaged and I literally spent about 10 minutes politely repeating that we (obviously) do not accept returns if the customer has damaged the item themself. I was getting massively stressed and my floor manager was impatiently waiting for me to end the bloody call. Turns out it was MY MOTHER PRANK CALLING ME.

Troll Mum is Trolling.
Original post by Emma:-)
I know how you feel.
The other night at work, at 6:50pm i was there thinking "only 10 minutes untill i finish work". It was quiet, we didnt have many customers. Then i turned round to find 20-30 people walking in the door at once. Most of them were all together. They ended up buying about 25 meals. And it came to just over £100!!

Yeah, we get these super crazy busy times in my store, and then it will go dead for like an hour. It gets ridiculously busy at around 3 when all the kids come out of school. It took me a week to learn how to fold the Happy Meal box properly but I'm glad I got the hang of it now :colondollar: Also people often say 'I want a Happy Meal' but don't state WHAT meal they want, how are we meant to know? Then they act like we're retarded when they do say what they want.

To be fair, pretty much legally you dont need to pay for something until you have it(online etc is different as the contract has been formed when payment is taken)

If McDonalds classifys itself as a resturant(which it does) then legally they shouldnt take payment for something till after you have eaten.

Just because their rules are different doesnt mean it bypasses laws.
one of the worst experiences today ever. in the cafe where i work a devil child came in with a family and screamed and screamed about something or other when it came to cleaning there table i wnt over with my tray picked up the plates, and with an evil glint in his eye lucifer proceeded to pick food off of my tray and throw it on the floor. the snotty nose child then spilt strawberry milkshake everywhere which stinks and sticks to everything haha.
To be fair, pretty much legally you dont need to pay for something until you have it(online etc is different as the contract has been formed when payment is taken)

If McDonalds classifys itself as a resturant(which it does) then legally they shouldnt take payment for something till after you have eaten.

But what was I going to do, take his money and not give him food? In Mcdonalds you can see that the food is right there, which is the difference between it and a sit-down type restaurant. He was just being unnecessarily difficult.
But what was I going to do, take his money and not give him food? In Mcdonalds you can see that the food is right there, which is the difference between it and a sit-down type restaurant. He was just being unnecessarily difficult.

Except the food is wrapped etc, and if you go on some threads on another part of TSR there is many stories of places like McDonalds and KFC's missing out parts of food(like just giving a bun and cheese slice etc.

And last year on the rare time I went to McDonalds my drink was half full(how they can miss out unless they selected the wrong one) and the chips half empty when I got them so this person may just have had a bad experience in past with either the company or specific stores.

AFAIK there are no laws regulating either point of payment or collection of payment regarding consumers or restaurants specifically, in either contract or consumer law. A contract is formed when two parties agree upon mutual obligations, consensus in idem, not when money is paid. A consideration is usually (in Scotland) or necessarily (in England) a feature of this contract, but does not go towards the formation of that contract. The terms of the contract will specify when each obligation is to be performed (immediately, upon delivery, on the 32nd of May etc...) subject, of course, to the Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977 and others if applicable.

Would be interested in sources for what you said though, would hate to think an aspect of consumer law had passed me by :top:
Except the food is wrapped etc, and if you go on some threads on another part of TSR there is many stories of places like McDonalds and KFC's missing out parts of food(like just giving a bun and cheese slice etc.

And last year on the rare time I went to McDonalds my drink was half full(how they can miss out unless they selected the wrong one) and the chips half empty when I got them so this person may just have had a bad experience in past with either the company or specific stores.

The consumer could pay his money, inspect his food and then take any issue up with the staff, surely? He would be entitled to a refund if the meals were defective or whatnot.

And don't think you can contest a bill at restaurants so easily. They have a lien over anything you give them, so are perfectly entitled to keep your coats, bags whatever you hand to them for safekeeping if you do not settle the bill :wink:
^ it's all just a bit of a fuss though. I can see why it's annoying for the worker but McDonalds is quite famous (at least where I live) for missing bits out of orders/getting them wrong etc.
Reply 1195
I work for B&Q and if I'm perfectly honest it's the most ****ty soul destroying job I've ever had. The fact is we are understaffed basically 100% of the time (especially on the checkouts) makes it worse.

You get moaned at 24/7 by customers saying "Isn't there a main till open"? When it's just me on my lonesome on SS because some tard in HQ decided to cut our budget. Glad I only work 6 hours there.

"Why is there only one till open? OPEN MOAR TILLS PLZ" < Mate, your preaching to the choir here....If I could, I would.

Plus you get some fvckers coming it blaming me that the £10,000 kitchen they bought hasn't been fitted properly or has crap fittings and they say "What are you going to do about it? Yeah? Like it's MY fault, so I should fix some problem a showroom guy that gets commission has created while I'm sitting here taking all the abuse.

FML. Can't wait to leave this ****hole.
Original post by Hammis
I work for B&Q and if I'm perfectly honest it's the most ****ty soul destroying job I've ever had. The fact is we are understaffed basically 100% of the time (especially on the checkouts) makes it worse.

You get moaned at 24/7 by customers saying "Isn't there a main till open"? When it's just me on my lonesome on SS because some tard in HQ decided to cut our budget. Glad I only work 6 hours there.

"Why is there only one till open? OPEN MOAR TILLS PLZ" < Mate, your preaching to the choir here....If I could, I would.

Plus you get some fvckers coming it blaming me that the £10,000 kitchen they bought hasn't been fitted properly or has crap fittings and they say "What are you going to do about it? Yeah? Like it's MY fault, so I should fix some problem a showroom guy that gets commission has created while I'm sitting here taking all the abuse.

FML. Can't wait to leave this ****hole.

well who should they complain to. by the sounds of it you are the face of that B&Q store (for most of the customers), and if its broken they will go to any employee, it would then be your job to either tell them who to contact, or bring the problem up the ranks to your manager.
just like if you bought something (lets say its a car), which broke down, youll go back to the dealer that you bought it, rather then going straight to ford.
im not trying to have a dig at you, i just keep seeing people saying the same sort of thing ("why is a customer complaining to me"), and not realising that thats exactly what they would do themselves, and what was intended the customers do when they have a problem.
Reply 1197
On Sunday at about 10:55am, a man approached me and asked why no tills where open and I explained to him that the store is open for browsing only until 11am, due to Sunday trading law. I told him that he will need to wait for five minutes. I also told him that if he waited by a checkout, people will join behind you and you can guarantee that checkout will be opened.

What did he do? Picked up his basket and threw it onto our (now broken) self scans.
Original post by MrStick

Original post by MrStick
A 3rd one is, when they push aside the items and pull out the stock from the back, which is, half the time, newer stock and trash the order of the items to get what they want (fish that has a longer expiry date &gt;_&lt:wink:

Inconsiderate, lazy, rude customers!!!

To be fair there's nothing wrong with wanting a longer expiry date if you know whatever it is isn't going to get eaten in time :dontknow:
Original post by -honeybee-
^ it's all just a bit of a fuss though. I can see why it's annoying for the worker but McDonalds is quite famous (at least where I live) for missing bits out of orders/getting them wrong etc.

If something is missing off you order though, you go back to tell the staff. If you are there at the counter and they miss something off the tray then you tell them there and then.
But with not paying for your food untill we have put it on the tray, that causes more problems for us than its worth. We cant get an order off the till untill its paid for. And if you order chicken products (which come up on a screen and are done to order) then the person on chicken side cant get the order off the screen untill its been paid for, therefore messing up our times. Plus if you were waiting for some of the food on the order, what would the bloke have done then?

Latest

Trending

Trending