The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Garden parties, lots of parties and activities with other freshers from your college. Depending on your subject, one or two introductory lectures. BTW, proper lectures start on Thursday the 8th - weeks in Cambridge start on Thursdays...
Reply 2
Drinking, dressing up, drinking more, making friends, forgetting names, drinking more, suddenly realising you're halfway through term and haven't done enough work...
serrellen
Now that exams are all sat and hopefully grades will be attained, I feel it's time to get excited about freshers week (only three months to go... :woo: )

So what does it consist of?

Short.

I believe the traditional freshers' week at Girton involves a couple of ents, a pubcrawl (which will involve visiting two pubs before queuing for cindies really really early, spending several hours in furnace-like conditions dancing to ***** music, getting off your face on alcopops and pulling some randomer then having to get up at seven the next morning to construct some facade of dignity for matriculation photograph), freshers' formal hall, a strictly unofficial party in one of the college houses, a load of talks, meetings with your tutor, your dos and the mistress, matriculation, meeting loads and loads of people, going to freshers' fair (and signing up for about eight thousand things that you'll never ever do but will clog up your email account with spam), meeting the same people you met before and not remembering, going punting, getting lost in Cambridge and getting ripped off by taxi drivers. There's probably more stuff too. It's brilliant.
Reply 4
when does freshers week begin then? the thursday before the 8th?
Reply 5
serrellen
Now that exams are all sat and hopefully grades will be attained, I feel it's time to get excited about freshers week (only three months to go... :woo: )

which college are you going to?
Reply 6
Tink12
when does freshers week begin then? the thursday before the 8th?

the saturday normally, although occasionally the sunday
Reply 7
Tink12
which college are you going to?

Girton... equally derided as Homerton I am afraid though I like it. What is your course?
Reply 8
serrellen
Girton... equally derided as Homerton I am afraid though I like it. What is your course?

You must be confused, Girton is the best one!:p:
I hear everyone gets together and enjoys a good book.
drinking and sex, pretty much like all types of freshers week :rolleyes:
Reply 11
Dark Fire
Garden parties, lots of parties and activities with other freshers from your college. Depending on your subject, one or two introductory lectures. BTW, proper lectures start on Thursday the 8th - weeks in Cambridge start on Thursdays...

... as you do.

So you have to 'come up' (as I've seen it said) on the Saturday before that (the 3rd)?
It depends on the college...King's started on Friday in my year.
And some colleges invite you up the weekend before to start preparatory stuff. Engineers, Classicists and some NatScis (Tit Hall does, I think)

Get keen though, it'll all be pretty awesome.
But I'd suggest not looking at the millions of 'FRESHERS WEEK' albums that your friends post before hand though. It will be different. Cambridge doesn't have so many clubs/bars as places like Newcastle and Manchester obviously, so there a lot more day/evening activities like garden parties and bops and ents organised by your college.
sugarlumps.
And some colleges invite you up the weekend before to start preparatory stuff. Engineers, Classicists and some NatScis (Tit Hall does, I think)

Get keen though, it'll all be pretty awesome.
But I'd suggest not looking at the millions of 'FRESHERS WEEK' albums that your friends post before hand though. It will be different. Cambridge doesn't have so many clubs/bars as places like Newcastle and Manchester obviously, so there a lot more day/evening activities like garden parties and bops and ents organised by your college.

I haven't seen you on TSR in years.:biggrin:
Reply 15
Slumpy
You must be confused, Girton is the best one!:p:

Well that's what I say! :smile: Are you there?
cruciform
I haven't seen you on TSR in years.:biggrin:

:o: Neglected TSR a little bit once I got inside the bubble. :p:
Reply 17
serrellen
Well that's what I say! :smile: Are you there?

That I am, just finished first year.
What subject are you gonna be doing?
And, arrogant git's summary of fresher's week seemed pretty much correct, it was good fun I found!
Reply 18
Slumpy
That I am, just finished first year.
What subject are you gonna be doing?
And, arrogant git's summary of fresher's week seemed pretty much correct, it was good fun I found!

PPS, what are you reading?
Did you apply direct to Girton? About fifty per cent of those I've spoken to starting there next year were pooled there, but I actually really liked it (and applied at the last minute and the applicants:tongue:laces ratio seemed rather better than other colleges). And what do you think of it generally? Not too far out etc?
serrellen

I imagine they all get their ego's out, and use them as drinking vessels to drink non-alcoholic alcohol on their own - they then all have a big giant LAN Party. On TSR ofcourse.

RAVE :woo:

Latest

Trending

Trending