The Student Room Group

Reference letters and interview questions

I've just started researching masters and unis for 2010/11 and I've got a few questions:

1. Is there an interview to go through when applying for a Masters (Especially at Oxbridge) or it's just the online/paper application form?

2. What do tutors need to write in a reference letter and how can you ask a tutor to give you one? (when I've only met them once or twice and they don't really know me, they just know my grades)

3. What's considered to be a good reference letter?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you and good luck to all applicants here :wink:
Reply 1
There is specific oxbridge postswhich you check out which are "sticky" (at the top of the board at the moment).

With regards to tutors I assume you mean your person tutor etc at the university you are presently studying at?

Basically you will as part of your undergraduate degree know some of the academic staff. Check out the website for the university you are applying to some will have a print out (template for the reference) others will be done online.

All your tutor needs to know is where you plan to go. Go ask in person if they will be you're referee. This will be totally confidential hence you will not know if it will be good or bad.

other people will be able to fill you in on oxbridge specific things
Reply 2
1) is likely to be subject-dependent. Not all departments interview.
Reply 3
1/ Most Oxbridge departments only interview if you are applying for funding, that was the case with me anyway.
With other unis (only talking from my own experience here) such as KCL and UCL, they will invite you down for a chat once they've made you an offer either officially or informally.

2/ I knew my personal tutor quite well, but usually they will ask to meet with you...they obviously already know what to write having done this for years - my tutor just asked me if there was anything I wanted him to include, so I told him about extra qualifications and work exp and he just made a list and put it all in.

3/ A good reference letter (I requested one extra letter from my primary referee so I could read it) is one that states -They are happy to recommend you, believe you are capable of taking on and completing said qualification, that you are driven and enthusiastic etc and then mentions your grades, predicted degree classification and any of your salient good points/ achievements.
Good luck!
Reply 4
Thanks a lot guys.

Latest

Trending

Trending