The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Are police allowed to punch you in the face?

Today I attended the third day of protest in london, and while we were marching peacefully around london, there was a line of policemen alongside our march (presumably to keep watch and make sure we stayed non-violent). At certain times our path of walking was quite tight because of cars and buses so we had to squeeze through which meant we were quite close to the police and they would simply shove people away and even punched a friend of mine right in the face for simply walking.

So my question is, are they allowed to do this? We noted down the officers number but unfortunately no one filmed it.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by bob'syouruncle
Today I attended the third day of protest in london, and while we were marching peacefully around london, there was a line of policemen alongside our march (presumably to keep watch and make sure we stayed non-violent). At certain times our path of walking was quite tight because of cars and buses so we had to squeeze through which meant we were quite close to the police and they would simply shove people away and even punched a friend of mine right in the face for simply walking.

So my question is, are they allowed to do this? We noted down the officers number but unfortunately no one filmed it.

If they can justify why they did it in a court of law then yes, they are allowed to use appropriate force. This is up for interpretation and there is no book saying what you can and cannot do. But yes if they deem it necessary and can justify it then yes they can punch you in the face.
Reply 2

you got kettled?
Reply 3
Well from my expert knowledge (ie. watching Coppers 2 last night :biggrin:) they can legally punch you in the face/use other force as long as they can justify why they've done it.
Perhaps they saw your friend as being threatening for some reason? They cant just punch him in the face if he's done nothing wrong!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
What are you going to do, issue a citizen's arrest on them?
Reply 5
how can he punch?
Reply 6
Hopefully!
You aren't going to get punched short of being an abusive/aggressive ****; this is true in all walks of life.

Learn to not be a ****.
Reply 7
i'd love to go to the protests and no do anything but laugh at the popo for how **** their job is, how badly paid they are, and how pathetic their lives are. it would give me great satisfaction to see their faces.
Reply 8
Anyone else see coppers yesterday and want to do that job? Riots , Football games and smashing down drug dealers doors. YES PLEASE :biggrin:
Coppers is a crap show which will backfire on them at some point, I've cringed at a lot of the stuff they will admit.
Original post by ussumane
you got kettled?

Were you there?

Original post by Bunkd
Hopefully!
You aren't going to get punched short of being an abusive/aggressive ****; this is true in all walks of life.

Learn to not be a ****.

Well no, he wasn't being abusive or aggressive, in fact he was actually apologising when he got punched, i was right next to him when it happened and as far as i could tell the only reason they were shoving people and/or punching was because we were walking next to them. If we unintentionally got too close to them they would shove you a couple of metres back
File a complaint with the Met.

Maybe they can justify why they did it, but they must use some evidence as well.
yeah they are police they allowed to do what they want, they are corrupt anyway
:boxing:
Original post by Beska
I want to become a police officer and just punch people in the face. What a brilliant job, they get paid for this? Dang.

:boxing:
Original post by scorpion95
yeah they are police they allowed to do what they want, they are corrupt anyway

True. such is life though. The police only exist to be corrupt. :wink:
Reply 15
Were you there?

Well no, he wasn't being abusive or aggressive, in fact he was actually apologising when he got punched, i was right next to him when it happened and as far as i could tell the only reason they were shoving people and/or punching was because we were walking next to them. If we unintentionally got too close to them they would shove you a couple of metres back

Yep. I was at Trafalgar Sq. but when I saw a battalion of police officers coming over I already knew what were they going to do, so I got my friends and I told them to head back near the Texas Embassy. Later on, I joined some other group( fairly smaller) which had the dude with the music and we marched miles around Central London..no violence, no swearing, just peaceful walking...and listening to dubstep...people were even cheering for us :biggrin:
Reply 16
Original post by toofaforu
i'd love to go to the protests and no do anything but laugh at the popo for how **** their job is, how badly paid they are, and how pathetic their lives are. it would give me great satisfaction to see their faces.

lol they turn violent on you for some reason, I saw a protester saying similar things and every police officer decided to use "necessary force" to "keep order" on him :rofl:
Aye they can
Reply 18
I bet the pigs will get away with it...
Original post by ussumane
Yep. I was at Trafalgar Sq. but when I saw a battalion of police officers coming over I already knew what were they going to do, so I got my friends and I told them to head back near the Texas Embassy. Later on, I joined some other group( fairly smaller) which had the dude with the music and we marched miles around Central London..no violence, no swearing, just peaceful walking...and listening to dubstep...people were even cheering for us :biggrin:

We didn't get kettled straight away, marching around peacefully for about an hour and a bit, went to get some lunch, re-joined a smaller group who were looking for the bigger group and then finding out that they'd been kettled :/

Latest

Trending

Trending