The Student Room Group

If function f is increasing, does f^2 increase?

I have a question, take f:RRf:\mathbb{R} \to \mathbb{R} is a real function. Iff f increases, then f2f^2 increases (f2(x)f^2(x) is (f(x))2(f(x))^2)? Does this statement hold for the converse and contrapositive?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
pESS oFF wEANER!"
Reply 2
Original post by TheNihilist
I have a question, take f:R-> R is a real function. If f increases, then f^2 increases? Does this statement hold for the converse and contrapositive?

Can you think of any examples where it's not true?

The statement holds if and only if the contrapositive holds, so you only need to worry about the converse.
Reply 3
Original post by nuodai
Can you think of any examples where it's not true?

The statement holds if and only if the contrapositive holds, so you only need to worry about the converse.

Hmm, can't think of any examples where it's not true. If I was to proof this, should I say for x1 < x2 where x1 and x2 are real numbers, so f(x1) < f(x2). Then f^2(x1) < f^2(x2)?

Contrapositive when if f^2 is decreasing, then f is decreasing right?
Reply 4
so f(x1) < f(x2). Then f^2(x1) < f^2(x2)?
That's not true. For example, 3<2-3 < -2 but (3)2=9>4=(2)2(-3)^2=9>4=(-2)^2. This example should give you a hint at some sort of counterexample.

Contrapositive when if f^2 is decreasing, then f is decreasing right?
The contrapositive wouldn't say anything about it being decreasing. It would be about it "not being increasing". A function which isn't increasing isn't necessarily decreasing (e.g. y=sinxy=\sin x is neither). These are the statements you have:

Statement: if f is increasing then is increasing
Contrapositive: if isn't increasing then f isn't increasing
Converse: if is increasing then f is increasing
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by nuodai
That's not true. For example, 3<2-3 < -2 but (3)2=9>4=(2)2(-3)^2=9>4=(-2)^2. This example should give you a hint at some sort of counterexample.

The contrapositive wouldn't say anything about it being decreasing. It would be about it "not being increasing". A function which isn't increasing isn't necessarily decreasing (e.g. y=sinxy=\sin x is neither). These are the statements you have:

Statement: if f is increasing then is increasing
Contrapositive: if isn't increasing then f isn't increasing
Converse: if is increasing then f is increasing

Ah thanks, that cleared up things for me. I was looking around the internet and some put f2=f(f(x))f^2 = f(f(x)). I thought f2f^2 was ff squared, but which is right?
Reply 6
Ah thanks, that cleared up things for me. I was looking around the internet and some put f2=f(f(x))f^2 = f(f(x)). I thought f2f^2 was ff squared, but which is right?

Ah, I see! Well it could mean either, the notation is ambiguous. If it meant f(f(x))f(f(x)) then it is indeed increasing. If unsure just answer it for both cases :wink:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 7
Personally my preference is to write f2(x)=f(f(x))f^2 (x) = f(f(x)) and f(x)2f(x)^2 for, well, f(x)2f(x)^2. I try to avoid writing plain f2f^2, unless putting in all the implied arguments gets messy. You can sometimes figure out which is meant by looking at the type of the function - if it's, say, R3R\mathbb{R}^3 \to \mathbb{R}, then fff \circ f doesn't even make sense, so f2f^2 necessarily means xf(x)2x \mapsto f(x)^2. If it's R3R3\mathbb{R}^3 \to \mathbb{R}^3, then fff \circ f makes sense, but what does f(x)2f(x)^2 mean? (Yes, usually it means the scalar product f(x)f(x)f(x) \cdot f(x). But you may not be working in a context where that makes sense.)
Reply 8
Original post by Zhen Lin
Personally my preference is to write f2(x)=f(f(x))f^2 (x) = f(f(x)) and f(x)2f(x)^2 for, well, f(x)2f(x)^2. I try to avoid writing plain f2f^2, unless putting in all the implied arguments gets messy. You can sometimes figure out which is meant by looking at the type of the function - if it's, say, R3R\mathbb{R}^3 \to \mathbb{R}, then fff \circ f doesn't even make sense, so f2f^2 necessarily means xf(x)2x \mapsto f(x)^2. If it's R3R3\mathbb{R}^3 \to \mathbb{R}^3, then fff \circ f makes sense, but what does f(x)2f(x)^2 mean? (Yes, usually it means the scalar product f(x)f(x)f(x) \cdot f(x). But you may not be working in a context where that makes sense.)

What if it's f:RRf:\mathbb{R} \to \mathbb{R}? Should I use both f2f^2 as ff squared, and f(f(x))f(f(x))? f(x)2 f(x)^2 doesn't make sense in my opinion.

I'm thinking if f2f^2 is indeed f(f(x))f(f(x)), then what I was thinking maybe I could do:

Take f(x)=ax+b f(x)=ax+b as our increasing function,defined on f:RRf:\mathbb{R} \to \mathbb{R} , then g(x)=f(f(x))=a(ax+b)+bg(x)=f(f(x))= a(ax +b) +b.

Hence g(x)=f(f(x))=a2x+ab+bg(x)=f(f(x))= a^2x +ab +b .

Differentiate g(x) g(x) to get g(x)=a2 g'(x) =a^2, which is always going to be positive and increasing since g(x)=a2>0 g'(x)=a^2 >0 for all a a which is a real number.

So what is it going to be for the converse and contrapositive statements?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 9
What if it's f:RRf:\mathbb{R} \to \mathbb{R}? Should I use both f2f^2 as ff squared, and f(f(x))f(f(x))? f(x)2 f(x)^2 doesn't make sense in my opinion.

I'm thinking if f2f^2 is indeed f(f(x))f(f(x)), then what I was thinking maybe I could do:

Take f(x)=ax+b f(x)=ax+b as our increasing function,defined on f:RRf:\mathbb{R} \to \mathbb{R} , then g(x)=f(f(x))=a(ax+b)+bg(x)=f(f(x))= a(ax +b) +b.

Hence g(x)=f(f(x))=a2x+ab+bg(x)=f(f(x))= a^2x +ab +b .

Differentiate g(x) g(x) to get g(x)=a2 g'(x) =a^2, which is always going to be positive and increasing since g(x)=a2>0 g'(x)=a^2 >0 for all a a which is a real number.

So what is it going to be for the converse and contrapositive statements?

The contrapositive is essentially "the same" as the statement itself; as in either the statement and its contrapositive are both true, or they're both false. The contrapositive would be "if is not increasing then f is not increasing", and the converse would be "if f=g² is increasing then g is increasing".

For what it's worth, I'd write (ff)(x)(f \circ f)(x) for f(f(x))f(f(x)). If you had nn compositions, say f(f((f(x)))f(f(\cdots(f(x))\cdots) then I'd write fn(x)f^{\circ n}(x); and for (f(x))n(f(x))^n I'd write f(x)nf(x)^n.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by nuodai
For what it's worth, I'd write (ff)(x)(f \circ f)(x) for f(f(x))f(f(x)). If you had nn compositions, say f(f((f(x)))f(f(\cdots(f(x))\cdots) then I'd write fn(x)f^{\circ n}(x); and for (f(x))n(f(x))^n I'd write f(x)nf(x)^n.

Interesting. I've considered doing something like that before, but the purist in me says that f2f^2 for the map xf(x)2x \mapsto f(x)^2 is just plain wrong and we should not need to disambiguate. :p: (Along the same lines, writing out the circles for composition should be unnecessary, yet my aesthetic preference is to write them out. I should probably resolve this contradiction at some point...)
Reply 11
Original post by Zhen Lin
Interesting. I've considered doing something like that before, but the purist in me says that f2f^2 for the map xf(x)2x \mapsto f(x)^2 is just plain wrong and we should not need to disambiguate. :p: (Along the same lines, writing out the circles for composition should be unnecessary, yet my aesthetic preference is to write them out. I should probably resolve this contradiction at some point...)

Good ol' conventions!

I try not to write (fg)(x)(fg)(x) or the like, because it's not always clear whether it means (fg)(x)f(g(x))(f \circ g)(x) \equiv f(g(x)) or (f×g)(x)f(x)g(x)(f \times g)(x) \equiv f(x)g(x). It's not too much of a bother normally, but when I'm studying spaces of functions under various operations I sometimes find it confusing if it's not made obvious.
Reply 12
Just got told this morning that for this question, f2(x)f^2(x) is (f(x))2(f(x))^2. Now it's half the trouble for me.

So far the statement doesn't hold eg:
Unparseable latex formula:

(-3)^2=9&gt;4=(-2)^2

Now I working towards the converse of the statement. Iff2f^2 is increasing, then ff increasing.

What I got so far is let g(x)=f2(x)=x(2n+1)g(x)=f^2(x)=x^(2n+1)(g(x)=f^2(x)=x^(2n+1)) for n=0,1,2,...n=0,1,2,..., which is obviously and increasing function since g(x)=(2n+1)x(2n)>0g'(x)=(2n+1)x^(2n)>0(g'(x)=(2n+1)x^(2n)>0) for all xx.

Then f(x)=(x(2n+1))=x(n+1/2)f(x)=\sqrt (x^(2n+1)) =x^(n+1/2). Differentiate f(x)f(x), I getf(x)=(n+1/2)x(n1/2)f'(x)=(n+1/2)x^(n-1/2).

But then there is a problem. If I take n=0, then f(x)=1/(2x)>0f'(x)=1/(2\sqrt x)>0. I cannot take -ve x values, only x.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 13
Just got told this morning that for this question, f2(x)f^2(x) is (f(x))2(f(x))^2. Now it's half the trouble for me.

So far the statement doesn't hold eg:
Unparseable latex formula:

(-3)^2=9&gt;4=(-2)^2

Now I working towards the converse of the statement. Iff2f^2 is increasing, then ff increasing.

What I got so far is let g(x)=f2(x)=x(2n+1)g(x)=f^2(x)=x^(2n+1) for n=0,1,2,...n=0,1,2,..., which is obviously and increasing function since g(x)=(2n+1)x(2n)>0g'(x)=(2n+1)x^(2n)>0 for all xx.

Then f(x)=x(2n+1)=x(n+1/2)f(x)=\sqrt x^(2n+1) =x^(n+1/2). Differentiate f(x)f(x), I getf(x)=(n+1/2)x(n1/2)f'(x)=(n+1/2)x^(n-1/2).

But then there is a problem. If I take n=0, then f(x)=1/(2x)>0f'(x)=1/(2\sqrt x)>0. I cannot take -ve x values, only x.

Instead of thinking about creating f2(x)f^2(x) and trying to work out f2(x)\sqrt{f^2(x)} and so on (which is only valid when f(x)0f(x) \ge 0 anyway), think of it this way:

If g(x)=f(x)2g(x) = f(x)^2 is an increasing function for some function ff, then is ff necessarily increasing?

Equivalently, if f(x)f(x) isn't increasing, then must f(x)2f(x)^2 also not be increasing?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 14
My friend said she got converse as false and contrapositive statement as true. Hmm...

For the converse counterexample, let f2(x)=x2f^2(x)=x^2, then it's increasing for f(x)=xf(x)=x but decreasing for f(x)=xf(x)=-x. Then the converse doesn't hold.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 15
not all the time no
Reply 16
My friend said she got converse as false and contrapositive statement as true. Hmm...

For the converse counterexample, let f(x)=x2f(x)=x^2, then it's increasing for f(x)=xf(x)=x but decreasing for f(x)=xf(x)=-x. Then the converse doesn't hold.
I'm a bit muddled with which contrapositive and converse we're talking about here (and also I'm guessing you meant f2(x)=x2f^2(x)=x^2?).

Basically we have 4 statements:
1. f is increasing => is increasing
2. is not increasing => f is not increasing
3. is increasing => f is increasing
4. f isn't increasing => isn't increasing

(1) and (2) are always either both true or both false, since (2) is the contrapositive of (1) and vice versa. Also, (3) and (4) are always either both true or false, for the same reason. (3) is the converse of (1). We've shown that (1) is false earlier in the thread, and your example here has shown that (3) is false (assuming we're only looking at the region x>0x>0, since is decreasing on x<0x<0!) and so (2) and (4) are both necessarily false.

The contrapositive for the converse (i.e. (4)) is "if f isn't increasing then isn't increasing". Well, as you've just shown, f(x)=xf(x)=-x isn't increasing on the interval x0x \ge 0, but f2(x)=x2f^2(x)=x^2 is increasing on this interval, so this is false.
Reply 17
Original post by nuodai
I'm a bit muddled with which contrapositive and converse we're talking about here (and also I'm guessing you meant f2(x)=x2f^2(x)=x^2?).

Basically we have 4 statements:
1. f is increasing => is increasing
2. is not increasing => f is not increasing
3. is increasing => f is increasing
4. f isn't increasing => isn't increasing

(1) and (2) are always either both true or both false, since (2) is the contrapositive of (1) and vice versa. Also, (3) and (4) are always either both true or false, for the same reason. (3) is the converse of (1). We've shown that (1) is false earlier in the thread, and your example here has shown that (3) is false (assuming we're only looking at the region x>0x>0, since is decreasing on x<0x<0!) and so (2) and (4) are both necessarily false.

The contrapositive for the converse (i.e. (4)) is "if f isn't increasing then isn't increasing". Well, as you've just shown, f(x)=xf(x)=-x isn't increasing on the interval x0x \ge 0, but f2(x)=x2f^2(x)=x^2 is increasing on this interval, so this is false.

Ah, I was meant to say f2(x)=x2f^2(x)=x^2. This is now corrected.

So to summarise what you are saying:
1. If ff is increasing, then f2f^2 is increasing. False as given in a previous example.
2. If f2f^2 is increasing, then ff is increasing. False as given in a previous example.
3. If f2f^2 is not increasing, then ff is not increasing. False since statement 1 is false. (counterexample would be similar to counterexample in 1?)

Does it mean all are false statements?
Reply 18
Ah, I was meant to say f2(x)=x2f^2(x)=x^2. This is now corrected.

So to summarise what you are saying:
1. If ff is increasing, then f2f^2 is increasing. False as given in a previous example.
2. If f2f^2 is increasing, then ff is increasing. False as given in a previous example.
3. If f2f^2 is not increasing, then ff is not increasing. False since statement 1 is false. (counterexample would be similar to counterexample in 1?)

Does it mean all are false statements?

Yup. It means you can get a non-increasing function by squaring an increasing function, and there are increasing functions that are the squares of non-increasing functions.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest