The Student Room Group

As edexcel physics 6ph01

Hey,
I have some doubts. Please help me out here :eek:

Q1- Explain the experimental procedure to find centre of gravity of an irregular object.

Q2- If in a collision, the loss of kinetic energy is 0.08J.
Will it be elastic or inelastic collision?

Q3- How to use strobe photography or video camera to analyse motion?

Q4- What are coplanar vectors?

Q5- Application of mechanics for safety or to sports.

Q6- Explain the term of tensile/ compressive stress and breaking stress.
Q7- A school treasure hunt uses the following set of directions:
A, 80m at 45 degree
B, 40m at 150 degree
C, 50m at 180 degree
D, 60m at 270 degree.
a) Team 1 follows the direction correctly. Draw a vector diagram to find their final displacement.
b) Team 2 gets the directions mixed up and follows them in the order C-B-D-A. What effect will this have on their final position compared to team 1?

Q8- A block is sliding down a plank at a constant speed. The weight of the block is 5N and the plank is 35 degree to the horizontal. Sketch a diagram for the three forces and use it to calculate the friction.

Q9- A ball is kicked off a flat with a horizontal velocity of 12ms^-1. How would you :
a) Calculate the horizontal distance travelled after it has fallen 15m?
b) Calculate the resultant velocity after 1.9s?

Q10- During a school play, a dagger is kicked and slides off the stage with a horizontal velocity of 1.5ms^-1. It lands on the floor a horizontal distance of 80cm away. Calculate the height of the stage.

Q11- What is the volume of a cylinder, of length 26cm and diameter 56mm.

Q12- Calculate the force applied to a surface of 220mm^2 to create a pressure of 10MPa.
Give your answer in kN.

Q13- Estimate average acceleration of a car travelling at 6mph in 8.0s.

Q14- A boat of mass 800kg is pulled along the sand at constant velocity by a cable attached to a winch. The cable is 15 degree to the horizontal.
Draw a free body force diagram for the boat. Label the forces: Tension, Friction, Normal reaction and weight.

Q15- If volume of water displaced for a person having weight 600N is 0.05m^3 in the Dead sea. How is this compared with the volume that needs to be displaced for the person to float in a swimming pool?

Q16- A spring of length 10cm extends to 12.5cm when a 8.0N weight is suspended from it. Calculate the spring constant of the spring.

Q17- Draw a free body force diagram for a vertically ascending balloon.
Please help :colondollar:
Reply 3
Original post by Vampire-Love4ever
Hey,
I have some doubts. Please help me out here :eek:

Q1- Explain the experimental procedure to find centre of gravity of an irregular object.

Q2- If in a collision, the loss of kinetic energy is 0.08J.
Will it be elastic or inelastic collision?

Q3- How to use strobe photography or video camera to analyse motion?

Q4- What are coplanar vectors?

Q5- Application of mechanics for safety or to sports.

Q6- Explain the term of tensile/ compressive stress and breaking stress.

Q7- A school treasure hunt uses the following set of directions:
A, 80m at 45 degree
B, 40m at 150 degree
C, 50m at 180 degree
D, 60m at 270 degree.
a) Team 1 follows the direction correctly. Draw a vector diagram to find their final displacement.
b) Team 2 gets the directions mixed up and follows them in the order C-B-D-A. What effect will this have on their final position compared to team 1?

Q8- A block is sliding down a plank at a constant speed. The weight of the block is 5N and the plank is 35 degree to the horizontal. Sketch a diagram for the three forces and use it to calculate the friction.

Q9- A ball is kicked off a flat with a horizontal velocity of 12ms^-1. How would you :
a) Calculate the horizontal distance travelled after it has fallen 15m?
b) Calculate the resultant velocity after 1.9s?

Q10- During a school play, a dagger is kicked and slides off the stage with a horizontal velocity of 1.5ms^-1. It lands on the floor a horizontal distance of 80cm away. Calculate the height of the stage.

Q11- What is the volume of a cylinder, of length 26cm and diameter 56mm.

Q12- Calculate the force applied to a surface of 220mm^2 to create a pressure of 10MPa.
Give your answer in kN.

Q13- Estimate average acceleration of a car travelling at 6mph in 8.0s.

Q14- A boat of mass 800kg is pulled along the sand at constant velocity by a cable attached to a winch. The cable is 15 degree to the horizontal.
Draw a free body force diagram for the boat. Label the forces: Tension, Friction, Normal reaction and weight.

Q15- If volume of water displaced for a person having weight 600N is 0.05m^3 in the Dead sea. How is this compared with the volume that needs to be displaced for the person to float in a swimming pool?

Q16- A spring of length 10cm extends to 12.5cm when a 8.0N weight is suspended from it. Calculate the spring constant of the spring.

Q17- Draw a free body force diagram for a vertically ascending balloon.

Ok I think I can help.

Q1.- First hang the object from a point and draw a vertical line downwards from the point of suspension, after that hang the object from a different point and draw another vertical line, the point in which the two lines intersect will the the centre of gravity.

Q4.- Co-planar vectors - In geometry, a set of points in space is coplanar if the all the points lie in the same geometric plane. For example, three distinct points are always coplanar; but a fourth point or more added in space can exist in another plane, incoplanarly.

Q6.- tensile is like stretching the spring and compressive is like squashing the spring (I know its not a real definition, but you can make something with it) and breaking stress is when the stress (Internal pressure of the material) becomes so great that the atoms separate completely, and the material breaks

Q11.- Volume of a cilinder (pi)(r)^2(h)=(pi)(7.84x10^-4m^2)(0.26m)=6.40x10^-4 m^3

Q16.- extension=extended length - original length=12.5-10=2.5cm=0.025m F=kxe 8=kx0.025 k=320 Nm^-1

Q17.- An arrow upwards=Upthrust and two arrows downwards=weight and drag (I think its correct)

Q8.- 5sin30=2.5 N And the diagram is attached in a link below
http://img813.imageshack.us/i/holaaaa.png/
In the diagram the 5 N one is weight and the frictional force is the arrow going up and I forgot the reaction force which is an arrow in the opposite direction of the 5N cos30 one
Q12.- P=F/A 10x10^6 Pa=F/2.2x10^-4 m^2 F=2.2KN
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by jazzel70

Ok I think I can help.

Q1.- First hang the object from a point and draw a vertical line downwards from the point of suspension, after that hang the object from a different point and draw another vertical line, the point in which the two lines intersect will the the centre of gravity.

Q4.- Co-planar vectors - In geometry, a set of points in space is coplanar if the all the points lie in the same geometric plane. For example, three distinct points are always coplanar; but a fourth point or more added in space can exist in another plane, incoplanarly.

Q6.- tensile is like stretching the spring and compressive is like squashing the spring (I know its not a real definition, but you can make something with it) and breaking stress is when the stress (Internal pressure of the material) becomes so great that the atoms separate completely, and the material breaks

Q11.- Volume of a cilinder (pi)(r)^2(h)=(pi)(7.84x10^-4m^2)(0.26m)=6.40x10^-4 m^3

Q16.- extension=extended length - original length=12.5-10=2.5cm=0.025m F=kxe 8=kx0.025 k=320 Nm^-1

Q17.- An arrow upwards=Upthrust and two arrows downwards=weight and drag (I think its correct)

Q8.- 5sin30=2.5 N And the diagram is attached in a link below
http://img813.imageshack.us/i/holaaaa.png/
In the diagram the 5 N one is weight and the frictional force is the arrow going up and I forgot the reaction force which is an arrow in the opposite direction of the 5N cos30 one
Q12.- P=F/A 10x10^6 Pa=F/2.2x10^-4 m^2 F=2.2KN

Thank you!!!!!!!!! =D
What about the rest of the questions? :frown:
Reply 5
Vampire-Love4ever

For questions 9 and 10 you need to use the SUVAT equations using horizontal and vertical components.

For question 13, I think you're missing information or you didn't type out the question correctly. Do you mean the acceleration of a car going from 0 mph to 6 mph in 8s?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Gemini92
For questions 9 and 10 you need to use the SUVAT equations using horizontal and vertical components.

For question 13, I think you're missing information or you didn't type out the question correctly. Do you mean the acceleration of a car going from 0 mph to 6 mph in 8s?

Yeah I thought the same thing and is it mph (meters per hours) ?
Reply 7
Thank you!!!!!!!!! =D
What about the rest of the questions? :frown:

I am as confused as you are, maybe we can do them together if you want just send me a private message with your msn, I am resitting in jan and I need help:cry::cry:

I am as confused as you are, maybe we can do them together if you want just send me a private message with your msn, I am resitting in jan and I need help:cry::cry:

Awww :console:
Sure
We can do them in msn
Just pm me your msn id
I am re-sitting too :'(

Yeah I thought the same thing and is it mph (meters per hours) ?

Miles per hour :s-smilie:
I guess. . .

Opsie. . . :colondollar: missed out an info . Sorry :frown:
It says miles per hour= 0.44 ms^-1
hello fellow physicians... bring on this exam!!! I have a quick question....

why is energy a scalar when kinetic energy for example has velocity (a vector!) in the equation...?

thanks y'all :wink:
Original post by purplebrainz

why is energy a scalar when kinetic energy for example has velocity (a vector!) in the equation...?

It has no direction :wink:
Reply 13

Energy just in general is a scalar quantity, whatever type it is. If you notice in the equation for K.E. is 12mv2\dfrac{1}{2}mv^2. You'll notice that even if your velocity was negative, it gets squared anyway, so velocity being a vector quantity makes no difference.
Original post by dknt
Energy just in general is a scalar quantity, whatever type it is. If you notice in the equation for K.E. is 12mv2\dfrac{1}{2}mv^2. You'll notice that even if your velocity was negative, it gets squared anyway, so velocity being a vector quantity makes no difference.

hey muchos thank yous.. :smile:
It has no direction :wink:

thank youuu :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest