The Student Room Group

Are the CGP books good for these A level subjects?

I will be taking Edexcel Maths, Edexcel Further Maths, AQA Chemistry and AQA Physics at A level and I was wondering if the CGP books were any good for them. What other books or resources are good for these subjects? Thanks
Original post by bewub9eu
I will be taking Edexcel Maths, Edexcel Further Maths, AQA Chemistry and AQA Physics at A level and I was wondering if the CGP books were any good for them. What other books or resources are good for these subjects? Thanks

I do biology chemistry and English literature and in year 13 I would say for chemistry the CgP books are super useful for learning content and simplifying the tricky concepts and offering practice questions. However by its self it can’t do everything so I recommend purchasing the complimentary cgp practice workbook so when you finish looking at the content you can practice exam questions to see if you really do understand what you learnt. As for maths my close friend does maths and uses it every single day !
Reply 2
i do edexcel maths, and i've honestly never tried the CGP book for a-level maths, but i haven't really liked CGP books in the past, i used them for gcse science briefly and tried it out for a-level biology and personally felt like the content was too simplified.

i honestly have no idea what's inside the a-level maths cgp book though, it could be very good but my school uses the pearson edexcel a-level maths textbooks. they have SO many questions and worked examples, which i honestly use religiously for my maths revision.

i don't take FM or physics, but for chemistry, (i do OCR A), i use the OCR textbook, we use online versions on a website called kerboodle, but there are obviously physical copies, and there is an AQA version of it.

the CGP one may be good, but in comparison these textbooks i use for sciences i find to be a lot more in detail and it just helps me learn better as i like how detailed they are. however the CGP books are honestly not bad, it's just that i personally don't enjoy using them that much but they can still be a great resource, especially if you have the workbook or whatever it's called too!
Reply 3
i have the cgp revision guide for ocr physics and honestly its been a lifesaver with some of the topics content but i wouldnt say that the practice questions are the most similiar to exam ones so i think for content they are good but if youre looking for practice questions id use past exams and such instead
Reply 4
I have the AQA physics and it's honestly invaluable it's so good. for maths use the edexcel own brand (Pearson) as they are endorsed and created by Edexcel themselves.
CGP books are good for practice- my school would hand them out but I don't recall many of the top scorers using them as their main source of practice qs

Maths and FM- The Pearson Edexcel books have a lottttt of individual practice qs for each chapter- but I'd hold off on buying them just incase your sixth form/ college provide them for you

Chemistry- Chemrevise!!!! This has condensed notes for revision purposes- I'd recommend for exams
But for general understanding use the organic chem tutor, PMT- for questions , elliot rintoul videos, Allery chemistry videos

Physics- PMT!! lots of practice qs and notes
I think it's difficult to find hard enough questions anywhere for maths particularly. I really like the CPG books and used them loads for GCSE's and now A-levels, but i struggle to find hard enough questions anywhere apart from past papers.
Original post by Jakson123
I think it's difficult to find hard enough questions anywhere for maths particularly. I really like the CPG books and used them loads for GCSE's and now A-levels, but i struggle to find hard enough questions anywhere apart from past papers.
IYGB papers
Original post by user67281919
IYGB papers
Thanks for that! Really helpful.

Quick Reply

Latest